how to hook up a headphone amp into live 5

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Gygaxian

how to hook up a headphone amp into live 5

Post by Gygaxian » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:29 am

greetings all.
i'll be the first to admit that i suck when it comes it I/Os

i've got a little HP4 headphone amp i need to hook into Live so my friend can hear her vocals while singing.
so we are looking at both having headphones through the HP4 into live and then both being able to hear the track and vocal she is laying down.

also, how do i get the lowest latency possible for her while doing this?
I don't want her to have to sing with "echo" parts of herself due to latency.

G5 with firepod with an HP4(headphone amp)

thanks everyone.

andrewlogan

Post by andrewlogan » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:17 am

I have an HP4 and an edirol FA-101 which is similar to the firebox inmany respects. the latency won't have anything to do with the HP4. You just need to connect your master outs (usually 1 and 2) from the firebox into the left an right inputs on the hp4 and than connect your monitors to the hp4 rear panel throughputs. If you're just working with headphones it's even easier. Anyway, the latency is from taking the signal into the fiirebox, through live and out again. Instead, and I'm fairly sure the firebox offers this, use hardware monitoring. Turn the monitoring switch in live from auto to off (to avoid echos) and than you should have a very low latency (but effects free) monitor. Otherwise, if you need those effects like a compressor to raise the volume, go to live's preferences and adjust the sample size to the lowest possible without getting hickups in your sound (they are just what they sound like) and than you should have a respectable latency if you're only recording one track at a time.

Gygaxian

Post by Gygaxian » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:49 pm

thanks for the help.

i did know the hp4 would not put out latency. : )

i jusdt meant how to get rid of it in the full package.

I guess we'll be doing one track at a time since singers tend to like a little reverb while singing.

thanks for the help. should have it now.