bluescreen when using digi002 and live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
håkan bråkan

bluescreen when using digi002 and live

Post by håkan bråkan » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:14 pm

Anyone who uses sp2 with digi002(rack with firewire to my laptop) and live? I get blue screens every time I try to change the audio settings with the message bad_pool_caller or header. What I understand it's possible to run the digi 002 with other software using the asio driver, without having pro tools installed. It would be really nice if this could work. I'm aware that maybe this is not the right forum for this post, but I got really tired of the pro tools support.

stinky

Firewire Hardware and SP2 suggestions

Post by stinky » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:27 am

I've been using Abe with my 002 w/ 4 & 5 using the Asio driver that comes with protools. No probs, but.... i did have a huge problem originally because I was using a PCI video card. It took me forever to figure out what the problem was(very frustrating to say the least). I had blue screens and hella pops & clicks. I would suggest checking that. The reason it happened was because of firewire using a pci card taking all the bandwidth on the pci bus. As soon as I popped in an AGP card, my problems were solved, and it was smooth sailing.

I can also tell you with confidence (after doing tons of research) that SP2 messes with the firewire drivers, and actually slows down your bandwidth. I worked around it by installing my old SP1 drivers which, for anyone who is not a technophile or a computer technician, is not an easy task. Luckily for us, RME was kind enough to post the instructions. Here's a link I found that give you all the lowdown and the instructions to install the old SP1 drivers

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/fw800sp2.htm

If you're still having problems after following these suggestions, I would make sure that you're 002 firmware's updated, which you can only do when installing Protools (I believe) and being connected to the internet at the same time. Another piece of advice would be to install protools anyways, just because you never know what you might be missing without installing it, and just installing the drivers (just a precaution).

If you still have problems after all that, PM me with specific questions (but, not to be a jerk, i really don't have time to hold hands so try to do most of it yourself). Good luck

stinky

ALSO, PCMCIA

Post by stinky » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:16 am

If you're not using firewire built into your system, and are using a pcmcia card, that's another bag a tricks that you'll need to research... If you want real help, you should always post your hardware (if it's a hardware issue).. i.e. laptop model and peripherals you're using. Cheers

Pedro

Re: ALSO, PCMCIA

Post by Pedro » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:43 pm

digi dont work on sp2

stinky

Digi 002 does work with SP2

Post by stinky » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:12 am

Digi 002 does work with SP2.... in fact, to run Protools 6.8.1 or higher, it's a requirement... This is from Digidesign's site... I suggest anyone who's having problems, should run through the check below...

Windows Service Pack

* Pro Tools TDM 6.9 TDM and higher & Pro Tools LE 6.8.1 and higher Require Windows Service Pack 2 (SP1 not tested)
* Pro Tools M-Powered Requires Windows Service Pack 2 (SP1 not tested)
* All Previous TDM and LE Systems Require either Windows Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 (see below for SP2 Specific supported systems)

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Officially Qualified With Pro Tools 6.7 & Higher

* Digidesign has qualified Windows XP Service Pack 2 with all TDM and LE systems qualified with Pro Tools 6.7 and higher. Please follow the Recommended Steps for Installing Windows XP Service Pack 2 listed below prior to updating to help insure a smooth transition.
* Pro Tools|HD and Pro Tools|HD Accel systems with Pro Tools TDM 6.4 are also qualified with SP2, including AVoption|V10
* Mbox systems with Pro Tools LE 6.4 are also qualified with SP2
* If you are using Digi 002 or Digi 002 Rack with Pro Tools LE 6.4, only Pro Tools LE 6.4cs9 or later are compatible with Service Pack 2.
* If you are using Digi 002 with Avid Xpress Studio, only Avid Pro Tools LE 6.5.1cs1 or Avid Pro Tools LE 6.5.2 or later are compatible with Service Pack 2.
* Pro Tools M-Powered is qualified with Windows XP Service Pack 2 only (SP1 not tested with M-Powered systems).

Recommended Steps for Installing Windows XP Service Pack 2

* Installing Service Pack 2 requires you have at least 500 megabytes available on your startup drive.
* Check your boot drive for problems.
o Go to My Computer/rightclick/Properties/Tools tab; and click "Check Now" under "error-checking."
o Follow instructions.
* Go to www.windowsupdate.com to make sure your Service Pack 1 installation is in proper condition before you upgrade to Service Pack 2.
* Make certain your BIOS is compatible with Service Pack 2 by checking the website of your PC manufacturer.
* Make sure all drivers are Service Pack 2 compliant. Check with the manufacturer of your display card and any attached peripherals.
* Make a backup of your important files.
* Uninstall any anti-virus or firewall utilities before you install Service Pack 2.
* Make sure you are the only logged-in user before you install Service Pack 2.
* After you complete the upgrade, reinstall any anti-virus software. Make sure the version of your anti-virus software is up-to-date.
* Note that Service Pack 2 has a "Windows Firewall" setting in the control panel.

Windows XP SP2, Microsoft DEP and PACE InterLok Drivers Update

* if you encounter unexplained blue screens, freezes or spontaneous reboots when launching Pro Tools with Windows XP Service Pack 2, please update your PACE InterLok drivers:
o Download Current InterLok Drivers
o More information from the PACE website
* The current InterLok drivers solve the described problems without having to disable Microsoft's DEP (Data Execution Prevention) feature introduced with Windows XP Service Pack 2.

stinky

Link to site..

Post by stinky » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:22 am

Just in case anyone wanted to actually go to the original site, and click on the hyperlinks and all...

http://www.digidesign.com/compato/xp/os.cfm#sp2

håkan bråkan

Post by håkan bråkan » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:44 am

thanx for your response, I installed protools le, and now it works fine using live standalone but I´m not sure if I can lower the latency enough to monitor a multitrack recording. In protools there is a low latency monitoring option, is it possible to activate this in ableton live somehow? I've read that pro tools recommend recording on firewire disks, but do you know what I should be able to do (i.e. how many tracks simultaneous recorded, sampling frequency) with a laptop - 1.5 ghz pentium m (banias), 1280 mb ram, 5400 rpm 8 mb cache drive - ?

stinky

Post by stinky » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:05 am

Ok, about low latency monitoring, per the Protools manual, using Ableton via Rewire:

1. Only tracks with inputs set to an audio interface (not a bus) use Low Latency
Monitoring.

2. Only tracks assigned to either Output 1 or Output 2 use Low Latency Monitoring.

3. You must make sure Low Latency Monitoring is selected from the Operations menu.

4. When Low Latency Monitoring is enabled, any plug-ins and sends assigned to record-enabled tracks (routed to Outputs 1–2) are automatically
bypassed, and must remain bypassed.

OK, now. Every one of these points works, until you get to point 4. "Any plug-ins and sends assigned to record-enabled tracks (routed to Outputs 1–2) are automatically bypassed"... this includes Rewire. Unfortunately, Low Latency monitoring is really only useful if you plan on recording external hardware (synths, mics, etc.), not plugins or other Rewire hosts. It just can't be done. As soon as you enable Low Latency Monitoring in the Operations menu, the Rewire connections become disabled. Try it, you'll see for yourself. Regardless, latency is negligable with the digi as long you set it's hardware buffer size to it's lowest possible. I don't have any problems at 512, but I don't need latency at a couple of ms. I don't mind 16-17ms.

Moving to your next point, I've already ranted on this subject this evening once, so i'll direct you to that post, and be done with this one...

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32509