MONITORS

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jupes

MONITORS

Post by Jupes » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:57 pm

OK.

Got Live 5
Got Microkorg
Got Mic
Got Edirol Soundcard
GETTING Bitstream 3X

My next thing on my list is a pair of decent monitors so I can actually feel the noise I make.
At the moment, I am just hooked up to a Technics entertainment system through the aux.

I'm opening up a gap for anyone to reco good monitors. I will have a £500 spending limit.

Thank and more thanks to anyone who gives reply.

Audi 5000.

JUPES.

inis

Post by inis » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:01 pm

SEARCH. This is talked about every week. Theres more than enough posts on it for you already.

DJ VAKIS

Post by DJ VAKIS » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:30 am

You sould check the GENELEC monitors.And try as many as you can to find the right ones for you.
http://www.myspace.com/djvakis
http://mix2r.fm/audio/user/221

----------------------------------------
MacBookPro 13" Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz 2GB
Live 8 -Operator -Sampler
AKAI LPD8-GENELEC 1029A-iPhone runing TouchOSC.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:58 am

Well below your budget, but my nearly-new M-Audio BX-8s are surplus to requirement, and I'm saving my pennies for a Lemur. I only use them for rear surround, but the new rear surround powered PA speakers I got are incredible, and while they're not studio monitors, they will suffice for surround mixing.

PM me if you're interested. I'm just down the A12 from you near Ipswich.

deckme(N)tal

Post by deckme(N)tal » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:19 am

krk rp5
krk rp6
krk rp8

feyshay

event

Post by feyshay » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:11 pm

Event ASP 8's.
The BX8's are at an unbelievable price (like $299 for a pair). That seems like an unbeatable price, although the nice thing about the Event's is that they have really good bottom end, and there is no need for a subwoofer (which I believe is not so good for mixing).

markaugust

Post by markaugust » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:56 pm

best newcomer on the market
www.abluesky.com
600 euros for a unique threeway system, and in my opinion outrunning the mackie Hr824 (or something) who are 3 times as expensive by miles!

Mbazzy

Esi Pro Near 05 Classic

Post by Mbazzy » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:44 am

Finally I had some funds available for that all important monitor purchase ... not much (around 250 €) but it would be a step-up from the desktop speakers I had so far . I definetzly wanted some active nearfields .

With such a limited budget , there isn't much of a choice , so purely based on some sidenote in SOS (in a Studio SOS article ), positive comments on several forums and the (all important) price I ordered them last monday @ Thomann (without having done any A/B testing.)

This morning - 2 days later - they already arived, nicely packaged ...

The technical spec. (from the siite) :

- Type: 2-Way Bookshelf
- Curved LF Driver: 5 1/4" polypropylene curved cone
- Input Connectors: 1 XLR Bal Input & 1 TRS Bal/Unbal Input
- Input Sensitivity: 200 mV input produces full output at maximum
- Input Impedance: 30k ohms balanced, 15k ohms unbalanced
- Protection: RF interference, Output current limiting, Over temp,
- Turn-on/off transient, Subsonic filter, External main fuse.
- HF Driver: 1" magnetically-shielded natural Silk Dome Driver.
- S/N Ratio: > 100dB below full output, 20kHz Bandwidth
- Frequency Response: 60Hz - 20kHz
- Crossover Frequency: 2.7kHz
- LF Amplifier Power: 40W
- HF Amplifier Power: 30W
- Dimension: 250 mm (H) x 166 mm (W) x 200 mm (D)

I hooked them up to the Master Out of my Soundcraft Spirit Folio Notepad mixer (which is fed by my soundcard) with balanced XLR cables , volume knob on the speakers itself @ 50% ... Placed them approximetely at the right angle/height as described and than let loose a variety of musicstyles .... from my own last cd and material upto some classic/dub/hiphop/grunge/ ...

Sincerely speaking ... I was blown away ... such a clear signal path !, No buzzing/crackling interference etc . even with the mixer at 100% ... detailed reproduction in the mid and high's , maybe a little weaker on the bass' (which is understandable view their size) , but still relevant ...

Played stuff from Michael Franti, Björk, Asian Dub Foundation, Sly & Robby, Notwist, Kid606, FunkStorung, CocoRosie, Arno, Aphex, Mum, Matmos, Daedelus, Fennesz, Muslimgauze, Kim Cascone, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2 , 80's New Wave, Mama's & Papa's, Jimi Hendrickx , ... just to give you an idea of the styles I let loose ...

An unanomously positive experience !

It was a very strange feeling to have the impression that the music panned central wasn't like coming out of the box' L & R , but really from the center empty space inbetween them , with tight reproduction of the smallest panning movements ...

This is a whole new experience for me and i can recommend these 180 € beauties to anyone on a budget.

Am really wondering what those even more expensive monitors can bring even extra when I hear what a difference these monitors already make ...
Last edited by Mbazzy on Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:04 am

Mbazzy - they sound sweet!

Which ones are they? :?:

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:12 am

Stupid is who stupid does ... damned, completely forgot to mention the monitors ...LOL ... EsiPro Near05 Classic ... btw, there is an article on the frontpage of the Esi site complaining about M-Audio ripping the design of the Near 05 Experience .
http://esi-pro.com/news.php?mode=view&id=56 for their Maudio BX5A
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

Cone

Post by Cone » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:44 pm

I can second that - the ESI nEAR 05s have been working great for me for six months now. Damn good for the price.

Shoma

Post by Shoma » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:15 pm

Frequency Response: 60Hz - 20kHz

Hm...Is it enough to monitor heavy bass tracks..like house or trance?

Jupes

Rant

Post by Jupes » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:55 pm

inis wrote:SEARCH. This is talked about every week. Theres more than enough posts on it for you already.
This guy pissed me off a bit.

There seems to quite a bit of negativity when a forum newbie like myself asks a pretty open-ended question and opens the floor to other people to share ideas and recommendations even when a subject has been discussed before. You cannot expect to be original about everything.

I view the forum as a collective conversation and not a large database.

Loads of new people join everyday, and I really love getting home from my boring job and reading new topics and threads and I have gained so much from listening to peoples opinion and being able to see and hear what people have created. Inspiring.

There is probably quite a large chunk of the posts that are now obcelete whereby manufacturers have phased out equipment and a new fresh thread brings "The Now" to the forefront.

Agree? Disagree?

Anyway - thanks for your reply's to my question. You guys really helped.

Rant over.

JUPES

jack rock

Re: Rant

Post by jack rock » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:57 pm

Jupes wrote:
inis wrote:SEARCH. This is talked about every week. Theres more than enough posts on it for you already.
This guy pissed me off a bit.

There seems to quite a bit of negativity when a forum newbie like myself asks a pretty open-ended question and opens the floor to other people to share ideas and recommendations even when a subject has been discussed before. You cannot expect to be original about everything.

I view the forum as a collective conversation and not a large database.

Loads of new people join everyday, and I really love getting home from my boring job and reading new topics and threads and I have gained so much from listening to peoples opinion and being able to see and hear what people have created. Inspiring.

There is probably quite a large chunk of the posts that are now obcelete whereby manufacturers have phased out equipment and a new fresh thread brings "The Now" to the forefront.

Agree? Disagree?

Anyway - thanks for your reply's to my question. You guys really helped.

Rant over.

JUPES
Right!
And this goes especially for these topics that come up often. New experiences with monitors are gained continously, so it's always new information that comes up when the question is asked.
You can't rely on outdated information, so old threads are not always enough.

jack rock

Post by jack rock » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:01 pm

Oh and by the way: Tradition demands that I answer a "monitor on a budget"-question with suggesting a slightly more expensive product:
I recently got a pair of Genelec 8030A's. They are AWESOME! Clean deep bass, crisp highs, detailed mids, precise stereo imaging. TIP!