Question about cutting Hz on instruments (to make room for bass)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Christian_R

Question about cutting Hz on instruments (to make room for bass)

Post by Christian_R » Sat May 11, 2024 5:50 am

Hi!

When I make songs, I make 3 main groups in my project: drums, bass and synths etc.

On the synth group, I put a EQ8 on the group and cut everything below 130Hz (to make sure it never ads up). To me this sounds OK and makes the mix cleaner (I also EQ each track individually), but I wonder if I should cut more? Is there a "golden rule" to this?

On my speakers it sound not so bad, but sometimes I feel the bass is still disappearing a bit. But I don't have the best speakers in the world, so I would love some input on this :D

jonljacobi

Re: Question about cutting Hz on instruments (to make room for bass)

Post by jonljacobi » Sat May 11, 2024 5:35 pm

130Mhz seems a bit high if you doing a hard cut, but okay for a gradual roll-off. That's right in the middle of the low-end of a bass guitar. 120Hz roll-off is generally more to reduce rumble, boom, and unwanted noise.

EQ is a delicate thing, though you're on the right track with cutting rather than adding. Generally speaking you leave the primary frequencies and reduce the harmonic content of things you don't want muddying the mix, and allow the harmonic content of what you don't want to muddy. With bass, it's generally the mid-range and above that will muddy the mix.

Use the Spectrum audio device and you'll have a more detailed, focused way to see just what you're cutting out.

Christian_R

Post by Christian_R » Sun May 12, 2024 9:04 am

jonljacobi wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 5:35 pm
130Mhz seems a bit high if you doing a hard cut, but okay for a gradual roll-off. That's right in the middle of the low-end of a bass guitar. 120Hz roll-off is generally more to reduce rumble, boom, and unwanted noise.
Thank you for the reply. I moved it back to 120Hz now. I didn't hear any difference, but on better speakers it might be audible.

Yes, I struggled with mud in my mix and was sure it was the synths. But a guy who gave me online lessons adjusted the mid on the bass for me, and that helped. I strange how you can't pinpoint where the mud comes from until someone shows you, then it becomes clear :D

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon May 13, 2024 11:53 pm

Get these and you’ll hear everything, without going broke

https://olloaudio.com/products/s4x-reference-headphones