Analog drift Feature request

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
davenoz

Analog drift Feature request

Post by davenoz » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:18 pm

Hi. Would it be possible to add an analog drift feature to analogs oscillators? I'm currently achieving this by using a smooth random LFO on one of the oscillators but I'm losing an LFO in the process. I've also used detuning on an oscillator and not tracking the keyboard at 100 percent, but it gives more of a regular beating . The stretch and tuning errors are useful but they don't affect the phase randomly between the oscillators. I've tried using vibrato with the error setting turned up, but not been able to achieve an analog drift. Seems the best way is the smooth random LFO, but at the expense of an LFO

grrrz

Re: Analog drift Feature request

Post by grrrz » Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:50 pm

if you have suite you can use an external LFO for the pitch (maybe smoothed random) and have the same effect you have. basically if you lack an LFO in any plugin that's what's the m4l LFO is for.

[erm]
Site Admin

Post by [erm] » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:26 pm

Moved to feature request forum.
Ableton Forum Administrator

dirtybomb

Post by dirtybomb » Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:57 am

one of the best ways to achieve this... at least as far as tempo goes (imperceivable but perceivable), is to record a tape sync output to analog cassette, ie like the tape sync out from a tr-707 to analog cassette, then use the analog cassette (with sync track) as a master clock to something like a tr707 to master-clock your daw via midi. you get analog drift. you'll never get analog drift in the digital realm ever. digital lfos are still digital

*edit* but i guess if your daw (live) is clocked from an analog cassette, and your lfos, etc, are synced to the master clock, you can achieve it

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:44 am

Cool trick but absolutely not what the original poster was asking about !
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1