Trouble Getting OSC connections to stay consistent after re-starting Ableton

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
waldtiere

Trouble Getting OSC connections to stay consistent after re-starting Ableton

Post by waldtiere » Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:48 pm

I have successfully gotten Ableton to receive OSC messages from Touchdesigner to track control volumes in Ableton but am running into a strange issue.

I am using TouchOSC from the connection kit which can pretty much accept any incoming OSC message as long as you can figure out a way to teach it the OSC address (would be nice if you could just type the address in like a full grown adult but I get it, "good user design" often means sacrificing flexibility and functionality).

But that is not the problem here.

Problem:

Every time I re-start Ableton, I have to "re-learn" each connection. As I have only two streams of DATA per OSC port, it is pretty easy to do this, however, I'd like to eventually share this Ableton session with non-programerey types and would hate to have to tell them that every time they start it up (or every time Ableton Crashes - whichever comes first) they will have to re-learn all the connections. Is there a known work around or is it just the fact that I am using a plugin designed specifically for TouchOSC that this inconsistency is happening? (is there something in the "handshake" this plugin creates that is specific to TouchOSC for instance).

Of course that last little part makes me think I should just test that theory with TouchOSC. I will try that later today or tomorrow and update the thread, but if there is anyone who has a suggestion for successfully using Touchdesigner and Ableton together, I would be most appreciative!