transport = what the heck?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beachnote

transport = what the heck?

Post by beachnote » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:30 am

whats the deal with the transport?

seem like nothing that you expect it to do is done.

why is it i set play to start at a certain point, and then clicking on a clip moves my play start to the beginnig of the clip....how dare you move my start point??? who the heck wants their start point automatically moved? we set it there by hand for a reason.

what if someone is working on a specific part of a song and they set the start point there, now every time i click on a different track it moves my start point to where that clip starts, even if its waaaay off from where im working...

anyway, that and a few other things on the transport just have to be bugs, cause it sure does not help production.

transport on v4 was just fine, maybe enhance it, like with markers which is a nice addition, but dont change the functionality

my 2 cents...

beachnote

Post by beachnote » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:44 am

another thing,

since there is no more Shift+click to set the play start, what happens im in arrangement view and i want to set the play start at a certain point by clicking, but i cant because clips are taking up the whole track space, so i cant find a little nitch where to click on the tracks to set it.

before you could shift+click on the top part and set the play position there, how it just starts playing right right away when you click up there. and the best part is that it doesnt even save that point as your play start....

what was wrong with shift+click? that was one of the best things on the transport....

Alex

Post by Alex » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:02 am

Hi beachnote,

I moved this thread into the 'General' forum.

There are already a lot of other threads concerning the Transport behavior in Live 5.

For instance:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22931
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22529

regards,
Alex

envyro

Post by envyro » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:38 am

hi alex

sorry but these threads refer to the clip's playhead

i agree that the beta forum is not the best place for this post but
beachnote was refering to the playmarker in the arrangement

this is definitely affecting the workflow in the arrangement
this post by dj retard exposes that problem as well
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

beachnote

Post by beachnote » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:21 am

yeah, im sorry if i didnt come off clear enough. but i meant in arrangment view. the way the play marker and transport work in live 5 just doesnt make much sense from a producers point of view....which is the main thing producers use, the arrangement view....

it is unintuitive and out right annoying at times...

while im working on a project now, whenever i hit the spacebar to start playback, i dont have a clue half the time where the heck playback is starting from anymore....the play start marker moves around too much, based on too many things...and change is not always better...

the biggest thing, is why should the play marker move to the starting position of a clip just cause you select it? what if i was working on a part in the middle of the clip, which is most often the case, why lose the position i set there for playback

Captain Screwbarb

Post by Captain Screwbarb » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:37 am

I was having problems with this too...it IS very very very very annoying, and I hope it is changed.

other than that L5 is great!

astar

Post by astar » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:29 pm

an easy workaround for this (for now) is to create a bunch of markers in your template and then assign those to keyboard keys... then you can just move a marker to where you want the start position. That way you get the best of both worlds: you can use the assigned keyboard key to trigger at you desired start position or use spacebar to trigger from the start of the currently selected clip

cheers
Asus A8JS, Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2GHz, 2GB DDR2 667Mhz, 100GB 5400RPM SATA, Echo Indigo IOX, Windows XP SP3, Live 8.0.5

supster

Post by supster » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:01 pm

astar wrote:an easy workaround for this (for now) is to create a bunch of markers in your template and then assign those to keyboard keys... then you can just move a marker to where you want the start position. That way you get the best of both worlds: you can use the assigned keyboard key to trigger at you desired start position or use spacebar to trigger from the start of the currently selected clip

cheers

solved.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

ct43

Post by ct43 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:35 pm

yeah this what im doing... not ideal for me though.. another vote for the anti transport camp here!

quandry

Post by quandry » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:47 pm

May be slightly off-topic here, but I feel bummed that I can't simply map a midi rotary encoder to the arrangement position (the "1.1.1" readout of the bar/beat at the top of the arranger view), and use that midi knob to move around in the arrangment. Maybe I missed something in 5, but it seems this is still not possible. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, and if I'm wrong in thinking that most DAW's allow a knob to scroll the play position backwards and forwards. WTF?

Ryan
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

envyro

Post by envyro » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:54 pm

map a midi rotary encoder to the arrangement position
yes please

:)

krank

Post by krank » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:48 am

Have to agree here, the transport in Ableton is counter-intuitive and annoying.

It's almost to the point where I feel like switching DAW since it really obstructs workflow.
supster wrote: solved.
And what's up with this? End of debate? The issue of a problematic transport is 'solved' by creating a work-around (which will take up most of your keyboard for short-cuts)?

DJRetard

Post by DJRetard » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:41 am

Hi Beachnote,

I know exactly what you mean.

Pro tools has the same style of transport as Live 5, but they have a disable function as well. This is all Live 5 needed and it would have been perfect. many will suggest markers but thats even more convulted. Markers are great for a specific are, chorus, bridge or whatever, but no use in situations where the user needs to edit and move stuff around.

As ive tried to explain a number if times Lives new transport is counter productive in many sitiations but I was offically told the transport wont be changing anytime soon.

There was nothing wrong with Ctrl L

Thsi is basically like going in to your car one day and hhaving the clutch, break, and accelarator pedals witched around, and your steering wheel Lock being on all the time while driving 8O

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:58 am

the problem is not Live 5 so much as how we ask for improvements, good news first: we all think Live 5 is a kick as application and if you don't then you're obviously not using Live 5.

now the bad news: the way we ask for improvements isn't very productive itself, ask yourself do you want to encourage ableton to listen to us or do you want to discourage them, it doesn't have to be more complicated than that, you know that they are creative people just like us and you know that means they get high off of us being happy about the app they've created. thats a no brainer so instead of lacking courtesy and giving attitude I'm almost positive that all we have to do is ask the right way and we'll probably get it, if a thread is not started in the wishlist or in the general forum regarding this in the proper way then someone should do it and all of us should add our two cents just like everyones doing in the 'korg controller native mode thread'
now how hard is that

krank

Post by krank » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:38 am

starving student wrote:now the bad news: the way we ask for improvements isn't very productive itself, ask yourself do you want to encourage ableton to listen to us or do you want to discourage them, it doesn't have to be more complicated than that, you know that they are creative people just like us and you know that means they get high off of us being happy about the app they've created. thats a no brainer so instead of lacking courtesy and giving attitude I'm almost positive that all we have to do is ask the right way and we'll probably get it, if a thread is not started in the wishlist or in the general forum regarding this in the proper way then someone should do it and all of us should add our two cents just like everyones doing in the 'korg controller native mode thread'
now how hard is that
I think you're blindfolded by your loyalty and warm feelings toward Ableton. What you wrote is patronizing towards those of us here who are simply stating that we think there's a problem and we'd like to see it fixed.

Yes, I realise I'm being patronizing towards you in return, but this attitude of intimacy with a given company pisses me off - not in the least because it leads to self-sufficiency and sloppiness on the part of both developers and 'fan'-users (the kind that hang around a company's message board just to chat), while leaving others behind, who simply see it as a creative tool and an application that should do what it's supposed to.

Ableton has long since made the move towards being a professional company, they should be able to cope with criticism without a 'remember, we all love you no matter what'. I don't see anyone in this thread going over the board on Ableton, we'd just like to get some work done, having paid for their product and all.