Mojave Support

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.

After how much time should Ableton support a new version of MacOS?

On day 1 of release
25%
After 1 month
38%
After 2 months
13%
After 3 months
No votes
After half a year
No votes
Ableton doesn't have an obligation to support new MacOS versions
25%

Total votes: 8

MZaagman

Mojave Support

Post by MZaagman » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:36 pm

This is such an obvious feature request I don't understand why there are no threads asking for it.

Why ask? Simple! I want to use my macbook on the latest version of MacOS but I can't because I need Ableton for my work. I can not rely on beta software when I play in front of an audience. This means I am forced to stay on High Sierra. Why it has to take so long for modern and popular software like Ableton to patch is beyond me. Mojave is already here for 3 months and developers have had the chance to test their software on public beta since June 27. Seems to me that that is enough time for the known issues to be solved.

I can imagine and respect that as a company Ableton doesn't want to just follow Apple blindly but I just feel unsupported as a customer right now.

But maybe it's just me, lets do a poll.

doghouse

Re: Mojave Support

Post by doghouse » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:44 pm

The bigger problem is Apple's aggressive OS strategy, releasing a new OS every fall means vendors are in constant update mode just trying to keep up.

Of course, Apple also has this annoying concept that you can't use an OS older than what was current when your machine was built. So a Mac you buy today will come with Mojave with no choice to roll back to High Sierra for compatibility.

I'm not about to jump over to Windows any time soon, but the Mac ecosystem is a lot more annoying to long-time users like me.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:40 pm

The list of known issues aren't actually different from a lot of current apps out there. Click ok a few times and you're done. Its not different from installing a new phone app.
When Apple made the move to intel, Ableton had a beta out about 6 months before the OSX release.
In this case, it might be easier for Apple to fix whatever prompts pop up than for Ableton to release a new version that might prevent one-time popups in Mojave but breaks backwards compatibility.

digitalia

Post by digitalia » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:14 pm

Anyone using Mojave and experiencing bad problems beyond the prompts for "access" and the note about 32-bit compatibility?
-= i.make.sound =-
-= https://www.facebook.com/v01dmusic/ =-

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:44 pm

MZaagman wrote:I want to use my macbook on the latest version of MacOS
:idea:

i want comping.

doghouse wrote:The bigger problem is Apple's aggressive OS strategy, releasing a new OS every fall means vendors are in constant update mode just trying to keep up.
exactly. they're wasting their time with this bullshit instead of developing comping (n'stuff).

MZaagman

Post by MZaagman » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:40 pm

I feel some of the reactions are not accurate.

Doghouse, how is doing a yearly update being aggressive? Apple has been doing yearly updates since 2011 with 10.7 Lion and made the updates free since 10.9 Mavericks. If anything I would call the strategy consistent and predictable.

Hoffman2k I don't think apple changes their software just to tease developers, it is there for a good reason (probably updated security protocols). Also I don't see how Ableton adjusting to Mojave would break backwards compatibility. Ableton can just detect which version of OS is running and make their software work with both.

Digitalia, I don't want to rely on beta software so I still haven't updated.

H2Only you seem to be missing the point of a Feature Whishlist forum. It seems you want comping badly - maybe you should make a thread about that.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:36 pm

digitalia wrote:Anyone using Mojave and experiencing bad problems beyond the prompts for "access" and the note about 32-bit compatibility?
Nope, been using it almost daily here with no issues at all.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:00 pm

MZaagman you seem to be missing the point about the word "want"

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:10 pm

MZaagman wrote:Ableton can just
arm chair coders :roll:

MZaagman wrote: I don't want to rely on beta software
unless Apple releases it