Live not installing on iPad?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yur2die4

Re: Live not installing on iPad?

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:01 pm

Was there anything that gave you the impression that it would install on the iPad?

Do you already have it running on any other computers?

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:46 pm

First of all that's a groan worthy question. Sorry, but it is!

Secondly my guess, without actually seeing the video, is that they are using TouchAble.
This is a controller app (very much recomended by many!)
It basicaly turns your iPad into an extremly well thought out controller for your install of Live.

Which you would still have to run from your computer ;-)

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:27 pm

Every app you put on an iPad is through Apple's App Store. Period. You can't download and install software from a website. There isn't an iOS version of Live.

Tom is correct. That is a controller app that controls Live running on your computer, but I'm not sure which app. There's TouchAble, Touch OSC, and Lemur to name a few available.

If you want Live on a tablet then you are going to have to get something like a Surface Pro.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:19 pm

You ran out and bought an iPad after seeing that video with just the intention of running Live on it? 8O

Before you run out and sell your iPad you should know that just running Live on a Windows tablet won’t give you the kind of customizable control that a controller app will give you.

DJ_Zombot

Post by DJ_Zombot » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:29 pm

The app on the iPad in the video is probably Lemur, which I don't think runs on Surface like that but I could be wrong. Surface isn't all that, better off buying wither a similarly specced touchscreen laptop or just a laptop. I set some up for store managers here and wasn't impressed.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:32 pm

Countdown-to-cperezz.gif

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:03 pm

Angstrom wrote:Countdown-to-cperezz.gif
Thanks. I've been trying to remember that name since I saw the OP.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:23 pm

He had the ipad controlling an extremely complex patch that be made in Max for Live. There was a computer running, and his ipad was just changing parameters and receiving feedback.

If you're looking for touchscreen kinds of musical performance, the iPad is probably the best thing to use right now. Windows has hardly any dedicated touchscreen audio applications and the ones they have are kind of garbage.

But then he iPad is limited too.

You have to choose what kinds of things you'd like to do in advance and then find the appropriate apps for it.

In many cases you can connect a controller to the ipad. The nice thing about this is that you can run a synth in the background with the controller while on screen you control another app.

As for specific apps I would suggest trying out, it really depends on a lot of factors.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:40 pm

Angstrom wrote:Countdown-to-cperezz.gif
Called it