Organizing plugins in Ableton Live 9

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
geosmina

Organizing plugins in Ableton Live 9

Post by geosmina » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:50 pm

My VSTFolder is a mess. I would like to organize them in FX and Synths folders. I read it was possible to simply create shortcuts (in Windows at least) in new folders instead of moving the files (which may cause problems)

Is that possible in Live 9?

Garry Knight

Re: Organizing plugins in Ableton Live 9

Post by Garry Knight » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:59 pm

I moved my effects VSTs into a subfolder C:\Program Files (x86)\Vstplugins\Effects and then rescanned them. Live 9 has worked fine with them since.
Garry Knight

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:21 am

yeah, I use mac, but had no problem, I actually divided them all into effect types and instrument types (i.e. filters/compressors/etc), and rescanned, and now they're all in there in subfolders.

Ronin1973

Post by Ronin1973 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:14 pm

When organizing my VSTs, I tried to follow Avid's ProTools logical breakdown. You may have another system, but this is what I like:

I first divide my VSTs to 32-bit and 64 bit sub-folders. I can quickly make sure I don't get into any trouble when working with legacy 32's, 64's, or 32's that have been wrapped for 64.

(VSTs Root Folder)
(32-bit)
(64-bit)

The 32 bit and 64 bit folders follow the same logic, so I'm just going to drill down on the 32-bit folders.

I then break down my sub-folders into three basic folder types: Effects, Synths, Utilities

I'll break the effects into categories like dynamics, chorus, harmonics, filters, EQs, whatever makes sense to me. Synths and utilities are basically by manufacturer and VST name.

Then I'll add a folder for each effect that's labeled by the manufacturer, underscore, effect name.

In that folder I'll put my individual VSTs. It's pretty nice doing it that way if I have an plugin that has a few version numbers or variation that I want to keep: plugin_V1, plugin_V6, plugin_mono, plugin_instrument, plugin_as-effects-version.

When I need an EQ, I can just go to my EQ folder and select from all the different EQs that I have, same for reverb, etc.

I keep my VST folder at the root of my C: drive. I also add an alias to my desktop.

To keep things straight, I mirror the folder structure with my installs as well. This includes installation codes, user manuals, etc. If I ever had to reinstall a plug-in or migrate to a new machine, I know exactly where to find and to place each plugin without having to think much about what goes where. Then I back-up my installs to an external hard drive every so often. It's a little extra time, but well worth it in one of those OH F#@K situations.

I've modeled a directory here with generic names and some randoms. I used the names of actual VSTs I owned in the multi-effects folder so you can see what I classify as a multi-effects plug-in

(32-bit VSTs)
.....(Effects)
..........(Bit Crusher)
...............(Manufacturer_EffectName)
....................SuperCrusherVST
..........(Chorus)
..........(EQ)
..........(Multi-FX)
...............(CamelAudio_CamelPhat)
....................CamelPhatVST
...............(CamelAudio_CamelSpace)
....................CamelSpaceVST
..........(Etc....)
.....(Instruments)
..........(Synths)
...............(Manufacturer_SynthName)
....................BestSynthEverVST
..........(Percussion)
...............(Acme_BeatBox)
....................BeatboxVST
.....(Utilities)
..........(Spectragraphs)
..........(Noise Reduction)
..........(Etc....)

Hope that helps. In the end you have to create a system that makes it fast and easy to find what you're looking for. Some people like to just arrange by manufacturer, or plug-in name. There is no right or wrong way, just whatever helps you find the plug-in you're looking for quickly.

rtcardinal

Post by rtcardinal » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:16 pm

1. Make a folder called 'plugins' (or whatever) and put it in Places in the browser.
2. Put subfolders in that folder however you want to organize your plugins.
3. Open one of your plugins in live, set it to your favorite default settings, and then put it in a rack (ctrl/cmd-g when you have the plugin selected).
4. Name the rack whatever you want, and then drag it in to one of the folders you made in step 2 in the Live browser.
5. Rinse / repeat for the plugs you use regularly.

You can organize your plugins however you want by doing this. It's handy, some plugins don't have output gain, so you can just toss a utility in the rack, or use the rack's chain volume.
Since I did this a few years back, my workflow has GREATLY improved. Better than doing folder sorting for me, tbh. You can put ANY kind of plugin in these racks (ableton, VST, AU, Max For Live). Personally, I had Abletons way of selecting plugins in the browser, and I prefer to not have to go to 3 or 4 different places to find a plugin.
I've also set different plugin folders for different tasks. I have one for when I'm working on music and mixing, and another for when I'm designing sound (for games and film).

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:55 am

rtcardinal wrote:1. Make a folder called 'plugins' (or whatever) and put it in Places in the browser.
3. Open one of your plugins in live, set it to your favorite default settings, and then put it in a rack (ctrl/cmd-g when you have the plugin selected).
4. Name the rack whatever you want, and then drag it in to one of the folders you made in step 2 in the Live browser.
This does not work for me :(. I can create a folder in Places in the browser, but I can not drag any racks into that folder...

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:44 am

SvenH wrote:
rtcardinal wrote:1. Make a folder called 'plugins' (or whatever) and put it in Places in the browser.
This does not work for me :(. I can create a folder in Places in the browser, but I can not drag any racks into that folder...
Am I the only one with this problem? It sure would save me time if I could link to the few synths and fx I use regularly in one place...

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:38 pm

SvenH wrote:
SvenH wrote:
Am I the only one with this problem? It sure would save me time if I could link to the few synths and fx I use regularly in one place...
Not exactly sure I see the point of this method unless you have groups of vst's you commonly use together and in the same order.

Like Garry Knight and others have said, just make a new vst folder with subfolders and organize your plugins however you want. Just set Live to scan the new folder from the Preferences screen. You could even create a subfolder called "Favorites" or "Mastering" or any other organization you can think of.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:16 pm

I think you can only drag presets into directories in the Ableton browser if you are dragging that preset into a Live 'set'. Or something to that nature.

There should already be one directory on there for 'my presets' or something to that nature for you to add your own presets that will show up in the browser for device presets, mixed in with facttory presets.

If you look at where it is placed in Windows, you'll probably find that it is inside a folder that has an Ableton logo.

There should be some more details in the manual. But basically, instead of creating a raw folder and following that advice, you can save a blank set and name it presets. Then have that in Places and you should have no problem dragging presets and saving them.

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:25 pm

Richie Witch wrote: Not exactly sure I see the point of this method unless you have groups of vst's you commonly use together and in the same order.

Like Garry Knight and others have said, just make a new vst folder with subfolders and organize your plugins however you want. Just set Live to scan the new folder from the Preferences screen. You could even create a subfolder called "Favorites" or "Mastering" or any other organization you can think of.
I have now tried different ways, and it seems the best for me is to move the plugins I use regularly to my vst *root* folder instead of subfolders. That way I reduce one click to get to a subfolder, but I still have to drag the vertical scrollbar to reach what I want or type the name of it in the search bar. It would have been even more easy and clean if I could create a separate favorites folder, but I guess this will do.

Thanks for your reply!

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:26 pm

yur2die4 wrote:I think you can only drag presets into directories in the Ableton browser if you are dragging that preset into a Live 'set'. Or something to that nature.

There should already be one directory on there for 'my presets' or something to that nature for you to add your own presets that will show up in the browser for device presets, mixed in with facttory presets.

If you look at where it is placed in Windows, you'll probably find that it is inside a folder that has an Ableton logo.

There should be some more details in the manual. But basically, instead of creating a raw folder and following that advice, you can save a blank set and name it presets. Then have that in Places and you should have no problem dragging presets and saving them.
Doesn't seem to work for me, but thanks for trying to help!