New DJ controller

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
anonymouse

New DJ controller

Post by anonymouse » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:30 am

Looks meatier than the Hercules.

Though AFAIK there is no possibility in Live to "scratch" clips using continuous midi controllers ... or is there?

But at $199 MSRP!

From Sonicstate:

The B-Control Deejay BCD2000 will play, mix and scratch WAV files, mp3's, CD's and vinyl records-no time code records needed. I'm really not sure how that will work as far as scratching vinyl records, but the B-Control DeeJay BCD2000 does a fine job of playing and scratching the WAV files that were loaded into it for demo purposes. It integrates via the USB audio interface to the host computer.

The B-Control DeeJay BCD2000 features a four channel USB audio interface plus 24/96 Ad and DA converters. It also has a mic preamp, 3-band eq kill per channel, crossfader, and talkover function.

Other features include two scratch wheels, 2 phono preamps, one switchable to CD player, a headphone section, and dedicated controls for play, pause, cue, loop and pitch bend functions.

Features:
# Play, mix and scratch any MP3 and WAV files, CDs and vinyl records (no time code records needed)
# Full-speed USB 4-channel audio interface plus high resolution 24-bit A/D and D/A converters
# 2 scratch wheels support creative DJing such as scratching, pitch bending and cue searching
# Integrated and full-fledged audio mixer with premium quality mic preamp, 3-band kill EQ per channel, ultra-precise faders, super-smooth crossfader and talkover function
# 2 state-of-the-art phono preamplifiers -- one switchable to CD player
# Headphone section includes PFL Mix, Split options and direct listening to master output mix
# Play, Pause, Cue, Loop and Pitch Bend functions via dedicated controls
# 4 user-assignable controls and buttons available for integrated FX section
# Easy analog-like control of software mixer functions such as volume and crossfader

geralds

Post by geralds » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:48 pm

Yes, it looks very nice, but does it send out midi on all functions?

G.

MrSleep

Post by MrSleep » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:07 pm

geralds wrote:Yes, it looks very nice, but does it send out midi on all functions?

G.
yup.

now.., what use could we find in them scratch pads for hay.. :wink: ?

that was a question btw, nothing comes to my mind yet. :x
hurry up.... mr squigle....

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:24 pm

Hmm, you do know in Live 5 that the 'start' marker in the live clips has been de-coupled from the loops. Also that those markers are now midi assignable.

http://www.ableton.com/index.php?main=l ... x-features

it probably won't sound like scratching I imagine, but it will mean those big wheels will have something to point at.

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:28 pm

for me, the scratch pads would be good to

*jump between slices within a clip (but we don't have beatslicing in Live yet)
*jump up and down between clips in a column/jump across columns
... so left controller does up n down, and right controller does right to left

2. do a traditional back/fwd scratch on the current master output

but I reckon I might use this controller on a second laptop running traktor or mixvibes.

interested in other ideas though for how scratch pads/virtual decks can be used in Live....

drush

Post by drush » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:36 pm

it seems strange to me that the general tenor of people who want to use Live to play complete tracks (i.e. "DJ", as long as that term continues to have any meaning) seem to more and more often be talking about traditional A-B playing, where something like a crossfader or the BCD2000 would be useful. i also see many posts about taking pairs of stereo signals out so a normal dj mixer can be used.

2 sources at a time? holy leaving money on the table, batman. why not just use traktor?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:53 pm

Are people really using 2 tracks ?? I'm suprised, perhaps you are being persuaded by certain screenshots of a well known Live user

Well, I don't DJ so wouldn't be the market for this product, but I think Traktors limitation of 2 'decks' seems pretty crap, so I guess actual DJs probably do too.

There might be more use for this product and Live if Live allowed more 'relative' midi assignments. IE CC17 was assigned to the clip start of the currently playing clip in the currently selected track ... or something.

I agree .. these Behringer Dj things are for the *ahem* 'traditional' type of DJs .. but that's a big market, thats why they make them I guess!

theres a lot of people that want to be 'a DJ', rather than thinking about it from a different angle.

A DJ

Post by A DJ » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:09 am

Angstrom wrote:Are people really using 2 tracks ?? I'm suprised, perhaps you are being persuaded by certain screenshots of a well known Live user

looks to me like its got 4 channels

so that wouldnt be traditional