just got a Korg Micro Kontrol

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hat

just got a Korg Micro Kontrol

Post by hat » Mon May 09, 2005 3:57 pm

and while I thought the mini keyboard was gonna be the factor to tip the scale, I actually quite like the feel of it. However, it's the pads that have me baffled. I have to pound on those things to get them to trigger! Ok, I'm slightly exagerating but I guess it's coming from the MPC (even the 1000) where you can slighly tap a pad with the tip of your finger and you'd get your sound, but not with these....
Perhaps I'm overlooking a small setting that can be adjusted?
I tried selecting the 'pad sensitivity' (according to the manual), but stil...they feel so stiff.

Just wondering if any MK owners concur or am I being out of line....?
Thanks for any comments!

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Mon May 09, 2005 4:45 pm

You dont overlook anything the pads are shit. the keys do better job. I like the microkontrol but gave up on them pads as pads, they are just good as switches but nothing more.

hat

Post by hat » Mon May 09, 2005 8:26 pm

I think it's going back tomorrow.
My Oxygen 8 died recently and I thought I'd try something different, and it's certainly the pads that appealed to me about the MK. That said, I miss the simplicity of the M-Audio and might get the new thinner version, whatever it's called.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon May 09, 2005 8:29 pm

hat wrote:I think it's going back tomorrow.
My Oxygen 8 died recently and I thought I'd try something different, and it's certainly the pads that appealed to me about the MK. That said, I miss the simplicity of the M-Audio and might get the new thinner version, whatever it's called.
The o2 - it's nice, very nice
Ableton | Elektron

Music

hat

Post by hat » Mon May 09, 2005 8:34 pm

yeah, that's the one, the o2!
The pitch and mod being buttons instead of wheel/stick is odd but nothing I can't get used to...
Cheers...

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Mon May 09, 2005 8:46 pm

OK I critisised Korg but let us keep the perspective, as compared to MPC. I woudnt use ANY Maudio keyboard even if I was paid their value as daily salary. Anything else is better.

hat

Post by hat » Mon May 16, 2005 12:01 am

So I got the o2 a few days ago and took the Korg back.
No regrets to date. Back to simplicity, full keys, and nearly just as much control as I had with the Korg, without the pretty colored lights and LED readouts and crappy pads. With the money I saved, I picked up an Echo Indigo I/O, which is also wondeful.

brainray

Post by brainray » Thu May 26, 2005 12:11 am

I picked up a microKontrol at RockShop in Karlsruhe one week ago.
Windows installation sucked, because there was a not working installer on one of the CD's, after 2 hours it worked...
But the hardware is really fine: looks great and feels good, a very well thought out firmware helps working intuitivly. A nifty little pro toy. Worth every cent. I sold my M-Audio and an old Novation keyboard for it and don't regret it.
One of the best Keybords I ever had :-)

Cheers

Ray

raapie

Post by raapie » Thu May 26, 2005 6:55 am

The Korg's are great when using Reason3 as well. But I can't understand why they the build quality isn't better than it is now. M-audio is even worse. If a company woul make a good 5-octaves controller with a good display, MPC-pads in a sturdy case (maybe add some wooden sidepanels!) and 2-way USB communication and endless incremental controls... and a way to securely install a laptop on top of it.

... the future...
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

mikHATz

Post by mikHATz » Thu May 26, 2005 8:09 am

i have the kontrol 49 pads are OK but the triton keys are amazing, also the templates and softwear editor are the best ive seen(not that ive seen too many).

mik

raapie

Post by raapie » Thu May 26, 2005 8:55 am

yes, I think the Kontrol 49 is most interesting for musicians like me who also use Reason3. the Reason3 remote option works superbly with the 49. but the pads... they should be like MPC! maybe Roland will be able to create something interesting since they have a lot of experience with drumcontrollers as well.
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu May 26, 2005 12:30 pm

The good news is that they are working at Korg, learning from cusstomers response. I talked recently to James B. who though works for Propellerheads now is/was Korgs man, couldnt spill details but obviously they hear the response of customers. So all these Raapies wishes ( same as mine and probably any users) might be fulfilled. Without doubt though could be better Korgs are the best Reason controllers, the next Novation has good keys but the rest is too toyish, tiny, fragile , not for professional specially stage use. M audio and Evolution do not qualify to be call music instruments. Edirol disappointed with the new series, much propaganda and just different look hardly anything more.

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:35 pm

I got a Microkontrol today. And I must say that I'm not impressed at all. They keys (not pads) need so much pressure that I'd need to work out quite a bit to be able to play a tune. Who are they building this controller for? Bodybuilders? 8O This one is going back to the dealer.

But now I have to look for alternatives: 2 to 4 octaves, mini or full size keys that are easy to play. The latter is a problem, because I don't have any shops nearby where I could try something out. In this forum I found many discussions about how drumpads feel but not about keyboards. So I need some help. Which controllers or synths would you recommend where I don't need a ton of pressure to get a key down? The keyboard itself needs to be good. Everything else doesn't matter. (Not even the price. :wink: )

Milkmansound

Post by Milkmansound » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:03 pm

I had one for a few months - the pads were the deal breaker. Impossible to use - no matter what velocity curve you assign to them. Plus, the keys are just too small - it was nice to have all those keys - but very hard to do anything other than enter in a bassline. If anyone has played on old casio you will know that the action on the korg mini keyboards is terrible - the old mini keys on a casio are way springier and synth like - you can actually play those. Korg needs to adopt that key mechanism!

tekkers

Post by tekkers » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:21 pm

my microkontrol's tiny keys are annoyin - i cant play anyway so ma lack of ability is magnified somewhat by the keysize..

i've only ever used the pads as switches and they are great for that...

sliders are just - sliders ..

but them encoders..... spin all the way round like relative controllers should but - allways seem to output a value from 0-127 nomatter what i do

so values in ableton allways skip - never move smoothly from one point to another..

its prolly somethin i aint set up right.

i'd love a microkontrol with NO keys and a bank of encoders and pads - and a none springed stick like the 49..... oh and a nice crossfader as well :D

and maybe a ribbon controller

and dbeam

inputs for footswitches and footpedals..

cv/gate in out

errrr

beer holder

8O