live triggering w/ pre-programmed automation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kmo

live triggering w/ pre-programmed automation

Post by kmo » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:08 pm

I'm working on preparing some of my songs for live performance. One of the tracks contains two loops (two arpeggiated guitars chords) that I switch back and forth between, triggering via MIDI.

They are going through the AutoFilter. I've created automation envelopes to vary the frequency and resonance over the course of the song.

But it seems the automation only gets applied to recorded clips (clips in the arrangement view). I want to trigger the samples live and still have the automation apply to the track's output. Whenever I trigger one of the loops in the Clip View, the track's automation gets disabled.

Am I missing something? Or any tips on getting around this so I can freely switch between the track's loops live and have the automation varying the AutoFilter throughout the song?

(I tried unlinked clip automation of the AutoFilter, but then the envelope is the same each time a given sample is triggered, so it sounds repetitive.)
MacBook Pro - OS X 10.4 - 2GHz Intel - 2GB RAM - MOTU Ultralite - Kontrol49 - Remote 49 - Moog Voyager

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:35 am

perhaps if you link an extra long series of loops, and duplicate it, you can record several different phases/styles of rendering effects of different, and have different clips set to different warp markers.

If the need were to arise for live reworking, that could be done manually. I'm sure there are other more practical work arounds, but variations of this technique work for me.

It would be cool to have what you are asking for. The arrange menu's automation definately seems more comfortable to work in than cle envelope.
PErhaps because it's been around longer.

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:46 am

The relationship between clip automation envelopes in the session and arrangement views is potentiallly highly confusing........

Lets say you recorded a two bar guitar groove in track one in the session view. Then you stuck an autofilter on that track and mucked around with a controller mapped to the filter cutoff. Then you press record and play with the controller some more till you have 16 bars - the loop gets recorded into the arrangement view on track one and the filter automation appears as a track automation envelope. Ok so far. But if you now click on the track object in the arrangement view and look at the clip envelope for the autofilter cutoff at the bottom of the screen you will just see a straight line two bars long (the same length as the guitar loop originally recorded in the session view). You must remember that clip envelope automation is distinct from track automation and also that the clip envelope in the arrangement view is distinct from the clip envelope in the session view. Anything you record in with a mapped controller, be it with clips playing from the session view or the arrangement view will always be recorded as track automation in the arrangement view - it will not be recorded in the devices clip envelope, whether in the session view or the arrangement view. The clip envelope automation has to be drawn in by hand or copied there from the track automation. Furthermore the clip envelope automation has a relative effect on the device parameter whereas the track automation's effect is absolute.

So at the moment, with your arrangement playing, when you trigger your guitar loop from the session view you are effectively bypassing the track automation and activating the clip automation envelope in the session view.......only it's empty. You need to copy over the track automation from the arrangement.... go to the clip envelope for the filter cutoff in the session view, unlink it and then dial in the length of the automation passage you have recorded in the arrangement view. It is important to do this before you copy and paste the information. If you don't, the 16 bars of automation will paste in fine but when you unlink it you'll lose anything beyond the length of your original session view guitar groove. Once you have unlinked it and set the new length in the session view go back to the arrangement, select your 16 bars or whatever of track automation and do a copy special (alt apple C on mac). Go back into session view, hit the loop bar running along the top of your new unlinked clip envelope and paste. But remember that this envelope will only increase or decrease the filter cutoff relative to the current parameter setting i.e if your filter is already all the way open on the autofilter the positive slope of your envelope will have no effect.

If you originally recorded your guitar groove into the arrangement view and it was 16 bars long the quickest way to set up a session clip with automation would be to copy the track automation into the filter clip envelope in the arrangement view and then drag your guitar track back into the session view. Provided you drop it into a track with an autofilter already assigned in the session view the the envelope automation will travel with it.......this is also true going from session to arrangement view but it will still only provide the relative automation......

I hope this makes it a little clearer........
MacBook Pro M1, 16GB Ram, 1TB.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:46 am

Holy...
Rock on, man!
Much obliged!

kmo

Post by kmo » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:30 am

The only problem with the method you described (in this case) is that there are 2 loops, alternating. Also the envelope is the length of the song, continuously varying, not repeating. I would be nice if there was a way to have the arrange page's automation continue to apply when triggering clips live.
The tip about dragging the recording with automation to the clip view is good to know though!
MacBook Pro - OS X 10.4 - 2GHz Intel - 2GB RAM - MOTU Ultralite - Kontrol49 - Remote 49 - Moog Voyager

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:10 pm

kmo......the envelope you copy over can be as long as you like.....if two loops are alternating.....create a stack of clips of the alternating segments and assign the envelope loop bar differently for each one to trigger different parts of the envelope when you fire off the clips............
MacBook Pro M1, 16GB Ram, 1TB.

kmo

Post by kmo » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:41 pm

Just to wrap it up:
I finally worked out how to do this (apply the entire tracks automation to two alternating clips)

-I set the unlinked clip length for each clip to the song length (128 bars)
-Copy-pasted the Autofilter automation from the arrangement view to the clip view (as suggested by Mammalux)
-Activated LEGATO mode for both clips

Now as I switch from one clip to another, the automation envelope continues from where the previous clip's envelope left off. The clips move smoothly through the 128 bar envelope.

It's pretty amazing that abelton thought of this......
Thanks for your help Mammalux and LOFA!