Memory Corruption Detected 0x6e

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mbd

Memory Corruption Detected 0x6e

Post by mbd » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:02 am

I've been running Ableton Suite 8.1.4 for quite a while now and lately I got this abrupt memory error message that reads "Memory corruption detected: Error 0x6e" causing Ableton to unexpectedly terminate within minutes of its launching.

The problem manifested after I had started working on a new remix at the time, but I'm pretty sure that VSTs have nothing to do with it. I tried all the solutions posted out there; removing .cfg files, registry cleaning programs, pro-clean and all of that, but nothing worked. I never bought the registry cleaning programs so they just "detected" errors, however, I don't really trust them.

Here's a quick tip in case it helps: The longer I don't use Ableton after it had terminated, the more time it will take the error to reoccur and eventually cause Ableton to shutdown. So if I stopped using Ableton after it was interrupted for a month or so, it will take Ableton quite longer than just a couple of minutes to shut down again.

I hope this makes sense. Appreciate your help and eagerly waiting for any productive solutions

3dot...

Re: Memory Corruption Detected 0x6e

Post by 3dot... » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:06 am

since we're talking registry (don't know why.. there's no connection to memory handling)
I assume you're on Windows...

and since Live was working great up until...
my guess is this is something outside Live that's causing this...
investigating the cause will get you to fix it...
I'd try 'system restore' feature on windows... if it's turned on..
go back to the day before this happened...

also ... I'd upgrade to the latest version of live

... about your "tip"...
maybe there is really a bad memory chip in there that's heating up...
or some other hardware trouble...like a faulty HD...etc
http://www.memtest.org/
and use the checkdisk built into windows..

my other guess would be a software virus...

cids

Post by cids » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:32 am

Why not update to the latest version?
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:34 pm

maybe you have a defective memory chip. try running a memory test. its somewhere under System Tools in control panel.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Casual Beats

Post by Casual Beats » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:36 pm

crumhorn wrote:maybe you have a defective memory chip. try running a memory test. its somewhere under System Tools in control panel.
yeah, I was just about to post the same thing, though I don't think you can run a memtest while the OS is booted.
This is the tool I use when I want to see if a dimm is defective - http://www.memtest.org/

basically just download the iso, burn it to a cd (making a bootable cd), boot and let a few cycles run to test the memory.
There is also the option to make a bootable usb stick with the mem testing app on it

mbd

Post by mbd » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:09 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I was thinking, just upgrade my memory card and buy a new one, how's that? Because most probably, it's indeed the memory chip.

Casual Beats

Post by Casual Beats » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:14 pm

that's certainly an option but honestly, the app I posted above will take less than a minute to burn to cd. from there you just boot from it and iirc, it automatically starts to run upon boot. It will tell you pretty quickly if you have bad memory module or not.

this way if your dimms aren't bad, no need to spend extra money!

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:35 pm

Sounds like a hardware error - memory or motherboard or usb controller or something like that.

You can try taking out your (computer's) memory and putting it back in after cleaning out with a vacuum cleaner (on a low setting).

I have a hardware issue on my machine I have lived with for years - every now and then it boots with a northwind error.

But since just pressing f1 clears it I don't care - I don't use it for live performance.

mbd

Post by mbd » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:49 am

Doc Jones - I ran the test (memtest86) and it came back with no errors, 100% pass. I'm assuming this means that the memory sticks are still running and are perfectly fine, if that's the case, why am I getting this error message and what else can be done?

I cleaned the fan because it was causing some heating issues that are no longer persistent, used "chckdsk" function to clear and repair all bad sectors on the hard drive, cleaned my registry and used memtest86 but nothing seems to be working.

The program (memtest86) was left running for 2 cycles without altering anything in its configurations, if there is another way to running this program that can detect errors, please let me know; or else, I don't know what the problem is.

Thanks

Casual Beats

Post by Casual Beats » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:16 pm

yeah, if you did two cycles and no errors are reported, I think your memory is ok.
sporadic app issues are always a pain to troubleshoot. I once had a computer with a business app that would sporadically just freeze for no reason. After troubleshooting for a day or two (including performing many of the steps you listed above), I ran the built in diags tool. It actually ended up telling me that the hard drive was starting to go. Once I replaced the hard drive and cloned the old one to the new one, everything ran great. Not sure if this would be the same for your issue but might be worth a try.

mbd

Post by mbd » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:52 pm

Sounds like this is my only option; which tells me that just buying a new laptop is safer, once a hard drive starts failing, it's RIP mon amie.

Thanks for your help though