Lost my samples from my Live Set...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sales Dude McBoob

Lost my samples from my Live Set...

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:05 pm

Just when you think you know a thing or two about a piece of software- BLAMMO! You find out you're still a novice...

So even though I've been addicted to Live for almost a year now, it seems I've stumbled into a fairly basic problem.

Okay. I took a snip of an old song of mine- basically I cut and pasted a keyboard intro riff from an old rock song of mine, and I brought it into Live and looped it. I built a song around the loop in Live.

Everything was going fine... I rendered to disk a rough version of the song and brought that file into Final Cut Pro HD, because the song is sort of a soundtrack to this DVD project I'm doing.

Well, then I had a serious external hard drive issue. For a few weeks I was trying everything under the sun to get it working again.

I got it working again. But now when I open that soundtrack song Live set up, most of the samples are missing. Live asks me to search for them, but I cannot locate them.

Now, I suppose the hard drive issue I had screwed some things up, but I feel like I made an error before that happened. When I originally took that sample of my old rock song, was I supposed to save the sample clip somewhere? Was I supposed to render it to disk as a loop or something?

Did I just answer my own question? :!:

mpmusicny

Post by mpmusicny » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:10 pm

"save as self-contained" under the file menu. Personally, i think this should be the default way to save a song.
good luck. If you say you got your drive back up and running, the files should be on the drive somewhere...

malcolm
Live 4.1, Panther OS 10.3.8, Powerbook G4 1.25 Ghz, 512 MB RAM