Sample mangling..... Alchemy, or............?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mr D

Sample mangling..... Alchemy, or............?

Post by Mr D » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:34 am

Hi!

I'm looking for a plug that can do some heavy sample mangling. For example, taking a vocal snippet and applying synth-like modulations to it.

Alchemy looks pretty interesting.

I've tried Kontakt and i think it's a pretty wicked tool, but i don't like the interface....all those little windows drive me crazy, feels very cramped, i get no joy from looking at it, put it that way.

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks! .......... Mr D

Fernando Carvalho

Re: Sample mangling..... Alchemy, or............?

Post by Fernando Carvalho » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:47 am

Alchemy is nice, very deep.

I'd try Izotope Iris too. Easier to use and it sounds incredible for my taste. And you can drag and drop samples to it from live's browser, that's a plus.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:59 am

Iris doesn't support time modification that you might want to do. Harmor has both up-to-date engine and deep capability though it has too many feature to learn quickly. Alechemy's engine is a bit dated but still has much capabilty in it.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:57 pm

I do most of my mangling in Sampler and Alchemy. Both are quite powerful once you know your way around them.

Mr D

Post by Mr D » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:16 pm

pencilrocket wrote:Iris doesn't support time modification that you might want to do. Harmor has both up-to-date engine and deep capability though it has too many feature to learn quickly. Alechemy's engine is a bit dated but still has much capabilty in it.
Wow, never even heard of Harmor!

I'm trying out the demo now. Seems interesting. The presets are pretty rubbish and the interface, while having nice graphics, is also quite confusing and chaotic in terms of layout. The envelopes look amazing though! Can you load a sample into it?!
Last edited by Mr D on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:15 pm

Alchemy! I trialed Iris, and while it does what it does well, Alchemy does more, but slightly less intuitively, but more, and the spectral engine has a sluggish rendering time, but you can draw in new harmonics, rather than just editing them out of the sample, and also timestretch the rendered sample, so more!

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:00 am

Mr D wrote:
pencilrocket wrote:Iris doesn't support time modification that you might want to do. Harmor has both up-to-date engine and deep capability though it has too many feature to learn quickly. Alechemy's engine is a bit dated but still has much capabilty in it.
Wow, never even heard of Harmor!

I'm trying out the demo now. Seems interesting. The presets are pretty rubbish and the interface, while having nice graphics, is also quite confusing and chaotic in terms of layout. The envelopes look amazing though! Can you load a sample into it?!
Yes it's difficult, too many features there. Top panel are wavetable slot & processor in the way of additive, which can be easily used as if using general subtractive synth, unlike difficult traditional additive synth. The below panel are for ENV, IMG, Effect and Setting. You can load sample (drag it onto space in the IMG tab) and even image as well, which can be processed in PS, Gimp, etc. By using part A&B you can resynth to generate stereo output or use for different source of sound.