Commiting changes to clips in session to arrangement view

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hexdump2002

Commiting changes to clips in session to arrangement view

Post by hexdump2002 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:16 am

Hi!,

I'm pretty new to ableton. I have just built my first song with it and there is something that I would like to know if it is possible.

I have noticed that when a clip is created in session view and copied (button press + tab) to the arrangement view the link between the 2 is lost. I mean, they are now 2 different instances of the same clip. This, for me, is a bit weird. Sometimes I need to fix something in the clip, I do this in session view, but the clip in the arrangement view is not refreshed with the changes. I have to delete the clip in arrangement and repaste it from the session.

Is there any way to make this changes to a clip in session view authomatically be sent to the clip in arrangment view?.

Thanks in advance.

dna598

Re: Commiting changes to clips in session to arrangement view

Post by dna598 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:36 am

nope. the end.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

hexdump2002

Post by hexdump2002 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:46 am

Well, at least I know it is not possible. But don't you think it is a bit odd? Would like to know why this design decision, has no sense to me. Perhaps it is because I haven't get the grasp of it yet :/.

Thanks.

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:19 pm

Let's say you copied a clip to arrangement, having made your tweaks to the clip envelopes or whatever. Then you make another copy to a different part of the arrangement, then tweak that some more. Now you have two different clips in arrangement. Then you change your session clip - what would you like to happen there. I'd like to keep my individual clip settings. Each "instance" is not an instance, it's a clip. Clip settings should only ever affect that clip.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com