Mackie Control Pro faders -new vs old

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
YILA

Mackie Control Pro faders -new vs old

Post by YILA » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:08 pm

http://www.mackie.com/products/mcupro/mcupro_faq.html#1

Has anyone compared the new faders v4 ALPs faders with the v3 old ones?
Scan i5 in the studio. Dual core Pc laptop, 13inch macbookpro,RME fireface 800,live 8.1,operator. drum machines Myspace Soundcloud Youtube Twitter

nuxnamon

Re: Mackie Control Pro faders -new vs old

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:18 pm

i played with it a bit at GC.. feels better, less resistance and smoother feel.. but honestly, not worth it.. Maybe wait until Eucon protocol is implemented and get a euphonix cuz Mackie Protocol is getting outdated really fast.. I have a MCU and even these Ipad apps are becoming better and giving you more info than what the Mackie does.. But I do still like the physical feel of the fader..

but back to your question, new faders feel better but not worth the upgrade IMO

YILA

Post by YILA » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:44 pm

Well I was looking at second hand mackies, but they're all the older faders.

MCU out of date? Icon Qcon just brought out a new one and SSL Nuclues running that protocol so maybe not so out of date?

I'd buy a Euphonix right now if they supported PC.. MADNESS!
Scan i5 in the studio. Dual core Pc laptop, 13inch macbookpro,RME fireface 800,live 8.1,operator. drum machines Myspace Soundcloud Youtube Twitter

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:34 pm

ok, if your gonna get a mackie, def get a 2nd hand as the new "pro" version i think doesn't justify the price.. yeah, I saw the nucleus at AES and yeah, i was suprised that it uses the mackie protocol also.. i didn't mess with it but with the MCU's, I still can't work without looking at the screen.. and TBH, it's sometimes just faster using the mouse.. maybe the nucleus is more user friendly.. euphonix is only PC? that sucks.. I'm waiting til Ableton supports it.. but again, with the ipad, that also might change..

YILA

Post by YILA » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:25 pm

Turns out Euphonix now support PC and they mention Live in their page.

Now next question, will Ableton support EUCON?

Knight Industry

Post by Knight Industry » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:42 pm

Hi they have a lot of good things to say about the icon qcon pro on gearslutz
a place that i have found gear slutz ops to be pretty damn anal about most gear, If its it
getting a postive overall consensus on here you be pretty sure it's the dogs balls

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... -good.html

I would have no fear in purchasing this unit after reading through this thread and in fact
probably will at some point!

sanghalung

Post by sanghalung » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:04 am

Knight Industry wrote:Hi they have a lot of good things to say about the icon qcon pro on gearslutz
a place that i have found gear slutz ops to be pretty damn anal about most gear, If its it
getting a postive overall consensus on here you be pretty sure it's the dogs balls

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... -good.html

I would have no fear in purchasing this unit after reading through this thread and in fact
probably will at some point!
There are some discussions about the looks of the QCon pro (brushed aluminum, like the oll
mixing tables from the eighties) and some say it's ugly but that is a matter of taste I guess.
I'd go for functionality and best-buy instead of doing moomoo about a stylish studio...
I have a butt-ugly DBX compressor that has been dragged to hell and beyond, Still,
It beats the crap out of most hardware / software compressors. It depends on what you
would like to deliver to your customers, eye-candy or hardcore quality.

However, QCon Pro is a perfect controller. The price is remarkable. I also received
3 QCon Pro Ex extension controllers but I was not able to assign other tracks than 1 till 8.
I hope Ableton helps me out since 24 tracks are more or less useless at this moment.
Well not entirely, It's working like a charm with Cubase 7.

Some devices have whispering motorfaders (nudging up and down 1 bit causing ticking sounds)
but updating to the latest firmware solved the problem so it's not a hardware issue.