How Many of You Wish You Had a Place to Get Away to 4 Music?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
starving student

How Many of You Wish You Had a Place to Get Away to 4 Music?

Post by starving student » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:54 am

I'm not talking about those of you who would just 'rather' have a place for music but how many of you really feel like it's important to the point that your creativity suffers because you don't have a place away from your other relationships? Is there anyone here who feels like the specified room for music making inside the dwelling they share with others is not enough to really be creative in? if so how are you handling the situation, have you talked to your partners about it and if so have they been more understanding or less?
have any of you decided to take your music out of the house to somewhere else so that you can have complete focus or what have you done?

arafel

Re: How Many of You Wish You Had a Place to Get Away to 4 Music?

Post by arafel » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:04 am

Everything I do always has, and needs to be in my separate studio -for productivity, sanity and ease of scheduling (work late = no problemo).

For the last 11 years thats been a studio/garage, that I've never parked my vehicle in.
I custom rebuild my garage for my needs (about 600sqft):
Pretty much a large living room in the back yard: fully finished, heated, carpet
Floor to ceiling shelves, tables and workbenches on wheels.
Pretty much one wall per function/ activity.
Mural painting studio (max mural in studio 22' x 9')
Repairs and Reno work.
Hiking gear and Emerg survival provisions
Music studio wall & library.

I adjust the space for the project on deck as needed.

Made the most sense for me - my work is out of everyone elses way.. and their hands are off of my delicate stuff.
2.8ghz Quad Mac, Live 9.77, Remote25, Maschine 1, Fa-66 optical link, Samson 65a. Dog hair.. lots.

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:06 am

In 5 months Im quitting my job and moving far away from cities and people and other noise-generating things.. I cant take it anymore! I need peace when creating my stuff. Social life and money may become a problem, but I dont really care.. I NEED SOME DAMN PEACE! :x

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:58 am

@arafel: shit 11 years, sounds like you've got your system all worked out I envy you, but have you never
felt that even the garage was not far away enough?

@Rabalder: I feel your pain, for me just knowing someone is around interferes with my workflow

necho

Post by necho » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:14 am

I haven't managed to produce anything meaningful since I last lived on my own (and was single) four years ago.

The walls in my current house are so thin I can't really use my monitors.

One day, I'll have a proper space...
_________
sigs suck.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:30 am

We left our shared studioroom this summer, since then I am doing music mostly at home. Sucks a lot, it's so much better for me to have a separate place to go to, especially if you can make noise there and can't do that at home.

Beginning next year I will again share a studio, really looking forward to it.

For me it's also a financial issue. It hurts a bit when nearly all the money you make with music goes for paying the studio-rent.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:51 am

I wish I simply didn't have more than one need (other than food, work and shelter). That would solve everything. At times, I
envy the drones that are happy as long as they live up to certain social standards and can watch a film, listen to some
music or read a book without getting the urge to create something of their own.

It's ironic that I have to go home to my old bedroom at my parents' in order to get that elusive freedom that we all seek.
That's where my desktop computer and most of my equipment are. Here in the apartment, it feels like a chore even plugging
in my controllers and start Live.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:35 pm

I've always had to have a dedicated place to make music where ever I've lived, but I don't think taking it one step further and having a place out of the house would help. For me, creativity always comes in spurts, and I'm not one of those people who can force it either. So having a place I had to drive or walk to would be a waste of time ultimately I think, too much travel when I just might not be getting ideas.

So I love having my own studio at home, it's definitely nice being able to 'get away' whenever an idea grabs me. Even if it's just for a few seconds to record a melody or checkout some weird new routing.

Taylor Barclay

Post by Taylor Barclay » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:24 pm

I just recently thought about this issue. I am now renting a $375 bedroom with its main function being a creative space. I think it is really important for you to have that space to yourself, the only times I have been able to create in a shared space is when the other is gone or asleep. And by other I mean girlfriend or spouse. They would much rather have you in bed (understandably) but there is a line that has to be drawn. It can be maddening to not be able to create :cry:

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:45 pm

A few years back a friend and I had just such a thought so we rented a room at a rehearsal space for me to work on music and for him to record DJ mixes. He got way more out of it than I did and on my end I had problems getting my ass there and more times than not I just ended up playing my music really loud as opposed to being productive. So after about 4 months of that we cut it lose.

I think my issue has less to do with time and space and more to do with no real focus or goal in mind.

arafel

Post by arafel » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:12 pm

@ Starving Student - I have felt that even a separate building was not far enough away sometimes. But those are brief passing thoughts compared to the real time I can squeeze out of day to both accomplish work and pursue my avocations.

My studio system suits me now, but it took a lot of trial & error and different incarnations from 93 on. Had a full Art studio company with 2 awesome partners, relocated 6 times to dif locations and spaces (from warehouses to commercial spaces). Worked out a lot of kinks in that time. And soaked up the good traits from my partners: Cut the fat, Build to be flexible and adaptable, Keep it enjoyable.

I agree with Tarekith on cutting down travel time.
Tarekith wrote: So having a place I had to drive or walk to would be a waste of time ultimately I think, too much travel when I just might not be getting ideas.

So I love having my own studio at home, it's definitely nice being able to 'get away' whenever an idea grabs me. Even if it's just for a few seconds to record a melody or checkout some weird new routing.
2.8ghz Quad Mac, Live 9.77, Remote25, Maschine 1, Fa-66 optical link, Samson 65a. Dog hair.. lots.

nopattern

Post by nopattern » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:19 pm

I've had my out-of-home studio for about 6 months and it's not all i thought it would be. the space im in has no windows which i thought wouldnt matter but it gets to you. i'm also dealing with noisy people in the building

overall its more of a hassle than it's worth at this point, i'd rather have a nice basement or something at home that i could go to anytime. my studio is only 4 blocks from my living space but it still sucks to have to go somewhere to work on music, it also creates tension with the GF as I am constantly there at night and not home with my family

with that said i have almost a full album worth of music finished from this summer but i also missed the whole summer in a dark room by myself most of the time. depression will hold up your work more than distractions at home

rosti

Post by rosti » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:24 pm

What i really need is a place with NO INTERNET CONNECTION! This thing is just far too distracting. :D

evon

Post by evon » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:31 pm

Not having a dedicated space away from home can be a good thing. Especially for ear fatigue. After living in an apartment room alone during the week (only see my family on weekends)all the family have come together (all six of us).

The good thing is that I find I am more relaxed for one, and I work in spurts so my ears remain fresh, and I am enjoying my creativity. The only thing is I am still looking forward to having a dedicated music room at home where I can do some serious mixing. I currently mix with headphones and two ordinary speakers for monitors.
Luckily I have no deadlines to meet where my music is concerned.
fe real!

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:46 pm

i like having a space out of the house to go to work to, but it doesnt always mean im more productive in that space. like right now, for instance.