PLEASE go back to the warping engine of v7 and before !

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stu Hirst

PLEASE go back to the warping engine of v7 and before !

Post by Stu Hirst » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:19 pm

The warping engine in 8 is absolutely awful.
I have been using v6 for ages and got a new iMac for the studio, where 6 keeps crashing, so I was forced to upgrade to 8.
8's warping is all over the place - out of 10 digital tracks in a dj mix, i've had to manually warp 4 tracks so far, almost every other beat.
It used to take 2 clicks with version 6.

One of the worst upgrades i've ever encountered - things are now taking nearly twice as long to complete.

Ableton - please sort it.

leedsquietman

Re: PLEASE go back to the warping engine of v7 and before !

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:27 pm

It takes some getting used to, but most people seem to prefer the Live 8 way of doing things after a while.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Stu Hirst

Post by Stu Hirst » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:37 pm

leedsquietman wrote:It takes some getting used to, but most people seem to prefer the Live 8 way of doing things after a while.

it's absolutely fine when it recognises all the kicks - just the usual tweaking at the start and end to get it all in line, but a lot of tracks it's really struggling - and i'm having to manually line things up all the way through the track. And they're not vinyl rips or anything, just standard house/tech house !
Frustrating.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:11 pm

You're not alone, but there have been polls conducted here before and the majority of L8 users eventually conceded that the new method worked out better but took some getting used to.

It is frustrating though when a major core function of a software is radically changed with no apparent pre-warning and then you have to spend a lot of time getting used to the new method.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:35 pm

the new method could work better with some optimisations..

and it allows for much more on the producers side of the game..
like grain free beat warping and groove templates..
maybe you are better of with a dj software?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

kb420

Post by kb420 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:43 pm

Bear with it for a while. I hated it at first, but now I can't seem to even understand why I did. It's second nature to me now, and I think that it's actually a lot more flexible and powerful than it was before. It seems like you can do more with it once you understand it.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:17 pm

You could just install 7 to do your warping. Then, copy over the .asd's!
(if it's possible)

Zeddy

Post by Zeddy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:17 am

This warping system is also a lot more logical in the sense that the timeline is kept constant and the waveform is moving within that timeline. It just makes a lot more intuitive sense that way. If you want the sound to occur earlier in time, you just grab the waveform and move it earlier.

mihai

Post by mihai » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:19 am

i like the new way better.

madlab

Post by madlab » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:19 am

It's much more logical now : moving sounds instead of moving the grid.
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:48 am

Stu Hirst wrote:
leedsquietman wrote:It takes some getting used to, but most people seem to prefer the Live 8 way of doing things after a while.

it's absolutely fine when it recognises all the kicks - just the usual tweaking at the start and end to get it all in line, but a lot of tracks it's really struggling - and i'm having to manually line things up all the way through the track. And they're not vinyl rips or anything, just standard house/tech house !
Frustrating.
standard house/techhouse that are not vinyl rips take me around 30seconds to get right in live 8. you really need to get used to how to do it, it works really good once you get off the live7 way.

mostly i have just one warp marker at the first kick, the rest is corrected without warp markers by checking at around 3-4 places in the track. if needed (so far, around 1 in 50 tracks), i place some additional warp markers (3-4 others maybe). normally never needed.

so i guess you just haven't found how to do it right, yet. i should do a video.. :) there are videos online about it, though..
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Sage

Post by Sage » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:32 am

Warping in Live 7 made no sense to me at all, didn't seem logical.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:59 pm

Sage wrote:Warping in Live 7 made no sense to me at all, didn't seem logical.

is that against L7 or Against your lgical capacitys? :-)

even when looking a bit turned around the logic in the L7 warping was pretty good...

try with a vocal track to allign teh words better to the musich as the singer has done it..or alternetiv phrasation..

you will see that this works very good in L7 while is a dreadfull thing in L8..

To restore that functionality L8 style needs some changes..

its essential to keep it the L8 way with the transient markers now..and it has many advantages.

but the way the markers interact has to be optimized to make it really better than L7..

my opinion.. L8 style warping is an step in the wrigt direction.. but the implemetation is not perfectly desigend yet...

should see some changes
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Rave

Post by Rave » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:49 pm

I prefer the L8 way, it makes much more sense

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:04 pm

my typical steps:

go to first beat, double click the transient there to create a warp marker, rightclick 1.1.1 here, rightclick warp from here straight. then go to beat 17, take the transient and adjust it to beat 17. then to to say beat 65 or similar (maybe it's in a break, then the first beat after the break. move the transient to fit on the beat exactly. then go on to maybe the second break start or end (but always a beat that is the first in a bar, so always on x.1.1) and adjust. then go to the last bar with beats, and take the first beat there, adjust the transient to be on the beat.

if it's a completely straight-in-tempo track, then that is all i do. as said, 30 secs most (including the loading in of the track).

if it's not a completely straight-in-tempo track i might actually create more than one warpmarker (i have only created one in the example above), most likely after breaks and similar.

warping tracks is very easy.

now warping stuff like vocals and such, that's another topic. but even there, i'm unsure about actual improvements 3phase talks about. with shift and such, one get really detailed control over the transients and warp markers in interesting ways (one has to play around with all the key-combos that exist, it's fun).
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.