am i doing something wrong? can't figure this out

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mosca

am i doing something wrong? can't figure this out

Post by mosca » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:14 am

hello again, it's been a while

i am having a nightmare problem which i'm sure you guys will be able to help with.

i can't seem to get midi learn to work (or indeed adjust any parameters of my soft synths) without putting the track into record mode and then i can't hear it

i want to be able to mess around with filters etc. whilst listening to the track, i don't want to record them in

what am i doing wrong?

mosca

andy_slate

Re: am i doing something wrong? can't figure this out

Post by andy_slate » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:51 am

what am i doing wrong?

first thing, start to read the manual

second thing, connect your controller

third thing, update it in the pref box

fourth thing, press ctrl+m

and you will see it for yourself...... :wink:

mosca

Post by mosca » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:19 pm

done all that - i can get it to work by clicking the arrow - i want it to work when i click the spanner

word

mosca

nolus

Post by nolus » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:43 pm

Click on the little right pointing arrow on the plugin (not the actual plug in window but the one in the lane at the bottom of the screen). A display will open up to the right of the plugin with sliders for all the parameters that the plugin supports. These can be automated using Live's midi automation.

I have come accross a few plug ins that don't seem to support this properly but it works with most.

The main plugin I have that does not support this way of working is Samle Tank, which does not export any parameters this way. I get around this by setting up another midi track and routeing its output to the track containing sample tank - same as you do to get one plug in to play multiple parts - then you can use plugin's own midi automation facilities.

Noel.

mosca

Post by mosca » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:55 pm

i've noticed a couple of plug ins aswell that seem to behave oddly

i use that work around but it just seems a bit daft that i can right click on a parameter in polysix and midi learn - but it won't assign unless ableton is in record mode

weird

mosca

supster

Post by supster » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:37 pm

nolus wrote: The main plugin I have that does not support this way of working is Samle Tank, which does not export any parameters this way.

I get around this by setting up another midi track and routeing its output to the track containing sample tank - same as you do to get one plug in to play multiple parts - then you can use plugin's own midi automation facilities.

Noel.
interesting .... so how do you target the individual params from the other midi track (might be obvious, but Im trying to visualize this right here)
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

kongbalong

Post by kongbalong » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:09 pm

mosca wrote: it just seems a bit daft that i can right click on a parameter in polysix and midi learn - but it won't assign unless ableton is in record mode
what about the monitor settings?
if you are not monitoring or recording, then I don't think the midi will ever get to the plugin.

-craig

nolus

Post by nolus » Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:43 am

supster wrote:
interesting .... so how do you target the individual params from the other midi track (might be obvious, but Im trying to visualize this right here)
Here is an example of what I would do for sample tank 2.

Drop a sample tank on track 3 select a suitable sound and get a little MIDI loop going on part 1.

On track 4, in the "MIDI To" drop-downs, select "3-MIDI" and "1-SampleTank2", and set monitor to on.

Now any MIDI you send from a control wheel or whatever will be merged with the pattern playing on track 3

The individual midi control assignements are done using SampleTank's own midi assignment funtion -or whatever plugin you are using.

Unfortunately not all plugins support automation.