what runs Live better PC or MAC?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Desiduous

Post by Desiduous » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:54 pm

krusty

Post by krusty » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:57 pm

Timex Sinclair 1000 w/radio shack cassette for backup

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:57 pm

you sit down at your 2GHz Centrino laptop

and I'll sit down at my 400MHz Powerbook G4.

we'll both start writing at the same time.

and the mac will win every time.

....it's so not about the computer.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:18 pm

indeed its not about the computer but the poster's question is
with LIVE.
its about the application, and LIVE is an application that runs extraordinarily better on a Windows machine.
i think it sucks but it is the truth.

i'll use your comparison... creating an Ableton Live 4 project on a 2ghz Centrino,
in order to be able to even open and play the same project on a 400mhz G4, the project created on the Centrino would have to use no more than 12% of the processor on the Centrino. and even then you'd need the buffer on the G4 at at least 1024 ms, perhaps even more.

i think what you were trying to get across is that its not what you have its how you use what you have, and if that is what you meant by your post then i agree with you 110%. but Live was written for far better effeciency with Windows than Mac. do i think that isn't far? yes. do i think life isn't far? yes again.

Komplex

Re: what runs Live better PC or MAC?

Post by Komplex » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:49 pm

Desiduous wrote:what runs Live better PC or MAC?
It's pretty safe to say that a PC will run Live better than MAC.

Whether people like working on one more than the other is not the issue.

Are you in the market for a new computer? (or just stirring up the Mac people ;))

drush

Post by drush » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:51 pm

bensuthers wrote:you sit down at your 2GHz Centrino laptop

and I'll sit down at my 400MHz Powerbook G4.

we'll both start writing at the same time.

and the mac will win every time.

....it's so not about the computer.
and that's so not the case technically speaking, as it pertains to Live. i own 2 very capable macs, i love the products, i love the OS. however when it comes to ableton my PC doesn't even break a sweat while destroying the performance barriers of the macs.

and while you were likely making a more subjective/philosophical ease-of-use cult of mac-type comment, the same still holds true. i have no issues with XP and the headroom given on the PC to Live means i can try nearly anything in the composition process. therefore, it's a more creative solution.

krusty

Post by krusty » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:52 pm

Check The LIVE 4 PERORMANCE thread for mucho insight on this subject.

Desiduous

Post by Desiduous » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:04 am

thanks for the input everyone..... to answer your question komplex yes i am looking for a new comp,.. right now i have a decent PC desktop the runs Live great, but am looking for a good laptop to perform with, and have heard the Macs are supposedly the industry standard for audio applications ect., but cost more. if what your saying is that Live was better made to suit a PC than that is good news to me cuz looking at prices pc laptops are much more bang for buck, plus i use pretty much only Live for what i do ( sometimes cooledit for editing) this surprises me because i see a lot of people using macs at laptop battles where Live is the prog of choice

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:57 am

it's not just about the computer.

that's the whole point of my post.

If you quantify your ability to make music based on the number of convolution reverbs you can run, or number of compressors, then I will go away.

because you can't write a symphony for 300 compressors.

it seems like a strange way to talk about music to me.

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:59 am

Desiduous wrote:thanks for the input everyone..... to answer your question komplex yes i am looking for a new comp,.. right now i have a decent PC desktop the runs Live great, but am looking for a good laptop to perform with, and have heard the Macs are supposedly the industry standard for audio applications ect., but cost more. if what your saying is that Live was better made to suit a PC than that is good news to me cuz looking at prices pc laptops are much more bang for buck, plus i use pretty much only Live for what i do ( sometimes cooledit for editing) this surprises me because i see a lot of people using macs at laptop battles where Live is the prog of choice
people say that mac is the industry standard because of the protool thing .
but to run live they both do the job perfecly . by experience , mac has let me down more than pcs runing live .
if you get good specs on a pc laptop & you take care of it ,you'll have no problems

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:01 am

If you will be using it mainly for Live (and not installing anything that isn't needed for this purpose) you will be VERY happy with a pc laptop, especially a centrino pc laptop :).

But make no mistake, as soon as you install shit like games, things related to the internet and cracked warez etc you will have major issues keeping it stable. But we all know that and I'm sure you do too!

Good luck and happy jammin'

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:07 am

bensuthers wrote:it's not just about the computer.

If you quantify your ability to make music based on the number of convolution reverbs you can run, or number of compressors, then I will go away.

Ben, I know you like MACs and you are passionate about that fact. But we aren't discussing people's production and composition skills here, or how they do it.

We are talking about performance and raw power. And we are also talking about using it in a live scenario where you simply CAN'T afford to be scared or limited by the power of your computer. There are many variables when it comes to how pepole use their computers and some ways require a lot of power.

To be honest, even my PC struggles when I try ot make it do too much, which is VERY annoying.

It's not MAC bashing. Its simply facts.

drush

Post by drush » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:08 am

bensuthers wrote:it's not just about the computer.

it's as if i were a guitarist and someone just gave me larger, stronger, more flexible hands. that doesn't automatically make me a better guitarist, but it does give me a more complete toolbox with which to possibly become a better guitarist. that's the whole point of my post.

that, and while i don't use 300 of anything in my Live work, this is a computer-based endeavor. more power means more access to certain individual things that choke my powerbook. like some reaktor patches.

Desiduous

Post by Desiduous » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:15 am

i can see ive stirred up a pc mac debate,,.. from what ive seen the centrino or athlon would be better for running Live,.. .and no i dont plan on running games of any kind,.. well maybe simtower, . anyways my point is i dont want to get something then regret it later, even though macs look really pretty, if they cant run Live as well with the same specs then its not for me. can anyone reccomend a good external soundcard to use with a centrino laptop for Live performance?

krusty

Post by krusty » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:49 am

I guess it depends on what your needs are and it sounds like you found the answer that best suits yours.

I myself am quite hapy on a Mac (an old 350 B&W G3 at that) because I've used this platform since the early 90's so it's homey and I'm the type who WOULD find a way to use 300 compressors if my system allowed it and I'd be forever futzing with VSTi's and scouring the internet for every free plugin ever made and I'd never get anything done.