Pants first, THEN shoes

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Bunzer

Pants first, THEN shoes

Post by Bunzer » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:39 am

Hi folks, I'm new here, be gentle.

I've been playing with the Live 4 demo and liked it so much I bought it on Friday. It hasn't arrived yet; I'm quite excited about the doorbell. I thought I'd register here in advance because, no doubt, I'll have plenty of questions to ask, and hopefully some experience to share.

I've got an Evolution UC33e USB MIDI controller. It only shows up in my Windows 2000 devices when it's switched on. This is presumably why Live refuses to acknowledge it's presence and disables its Remote Control setting if it isn't switched on first? I dunno - seems like a bug to me, but I don't know if it has to be done that way. It's just a bit irritating to have to fiddle with the settings if I do things in the wrong order. Any ideas?

Anyway, Live's great. I'd been making computer-based music for a couple of years before hitting a creative block. Live is good for introducing a bit of sponteneity and speed into an otherwise slow and pre-meditated musical process. VSTi capability was what did it for me in the end.

What would make Live even better for me would be the ability to drop SF2 and KRZ files into the Simpler, then it would be perfect.

All the best.
Keith Nuttall

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:50 am

yea unfortunately you have to turn on the connected UC-33 before launching the Live application in order to use it as a remote controller for live with Windows. not with OSX though.

something ya just get used to ;)

Bunzer

Post by Bunzer » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:05 am

Oh wel, I suppose, I'll have to get used to it. Small price to pay.

BTW you're up early, aren't you?
Keith Nuttall

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:06 am

yea, writing music.
for some reason i do best between 4am and 7am. some guys smoke for inspiration and focus, i prefer sleep deprevation - its FREE!

and checking the forum whilst resting my ears before the "final mixdown" hehe.

ct43

Post by ct43 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:16 pm

I met a guy once that used to stay up for days and he said he did his best stuff that way... the more sleep deprived he became the more the music flowed... cant say this would work for me though..

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:36 pm

I tried that this weekend. I was able to stay awake but my eyes hurt so bad and I could'nt concentrate on anything I kept getting stuck in tweaking parameters (for way to long) and got nowhere with the track I was making. The brain can't function properly when you are tired so I guess you REALLY got to know what you are doing to pull it off. I'm shure that guy has some help from caffiene, stacker2's, amphetamines, or something like that. Anybody have hallucinations from sleep deprivation, sometimes I see people out of the corner of my eye and also squares that have an electric or static look to the color wether it be blue, green, red, or purple.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:14 pm

The best thing about staying up for late nite, early morning sessions is going out for freshly baked morning bread afterwards... And then being too tired to eat it, putting it in the breadbox, and forgetting all about it.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

borg

Post by borg » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:51 pm

some companies (mainly in the creative/developing area) are experimenting with special 'resting areas' as there seems to be scientific/statistical proof that the best ideas come at moments where the thinker is in a somewhat 'half-awake-state'. can't find a link at the moment.
i do prefer early morning sessions, too.
andy
2015 MBP, OSX 10.12, Live 10.1 64bit, RME Fireface 800

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:34 pm

I am wondering if the 'concious ' mind .. IE the wordy mind, is the first to go to sleep leaving the reptilian brain to get its funky goove on.

Have you ever had a dream where you listen to some music and think " wow, that is some impressive tune - so evocative. Why can't I write something like that?"
then when you wake up and realise ... you just did , you wrote it in your sleep - then find it's hard to get that whole symphony down before it slips away.
Damn concious mind
:)

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:11 am

Lucid dreaming?

Vercengetorex

Post by Vercengetorex » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:51 am

Waking Live.
I cant think of a sig

negative

Post by negative » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:15 am

Yea its a bummer having to turn on certain devices in certain order. the same is with my soundcard ... if i dont turn it on before booting my cpu, then i wont have sound ... pretty aggrevating if u forget to turn it on first - always have to reboot ... or if u accidently hit the power switch!

oh yeah suburbanbather ... ive had halucinations from sleep deprivation. espeacially when staring at the monitor i often see wavy things out the corner of my eye, or it sometimes seems my screen is slowly moving towards the left or right until i blink and try to focus ... pretty scary 8O :twisted: 8O