Beyonce

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
outershpongolia

Beyonce

Post by outershpongolia » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:20 am

http://www.motu.com/newsitems/beyonce-is-on-fire

"Kwiz: I literally am a huge fan/user of the chunks feature, which enables me to have at this point about 40 songs available to me in one project.

This is one of the main reasons why DP is so important to use in a live show. No other DAW comes close to having that kind of flexibility. <----- ?!?!?!?

You can sort of do that in other DAWs, but the songs have to be laid out in a linear fashion. If you need to edit a song, let's say, 35 minutes into your show, and the next three songs segue into each other, you have to do a bunch of shifting and editing to realign everything. Now, if all of those songs are sending out time code for video playback as well, that complicates things even further. Multiply by 40 songs, and a linear layout like this is a complete nightmare."

Is he serious? How in the world would DP be better than Live as far as not working in a linear fashion. I understand having to put on a huge show with a lot to handle, but has he ever heard of LIVE?

H20nly

Re: Beyonce

Post by H20nly » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:22 am

maybe he demoed 8.0.1

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:13 am

^^ haha, I feel you on that one.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:33 am

He probably just never tried Live before. I never really believed Live was amazing as a hard core Cubase user until I finally bought it at Live 6 and it blew me away.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:15 am

Are chunks basically clips that are entire projects in themselves? Obviously he wouldn't be able to use Live since Live doesn't send timecode for video.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:16 am

leedsquietman wrote:He probably just never tried Live before. I never really believed Live was amazing as a hard core Cubase user until I finally bought it at Live 6 and it blew me away.
^ I'm loosing faith.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 3#p1019793

it doesn't make sense.

Cool Character

Post by Cool Character » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:43 am

Beyonce sux.

Strub my balls.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:38 am

indeed :mrgreen:

well as long as I only have to be busy with myself and some extra hardware, Live is the best designed for me.

I can understand that when you have a whole band to handle, DP could be very useful.
In fact really I can't make any bad judgment about something I don't know, use or even tried

And as it's on the motu website, the artists are not going to rant on their support, advertising it is :lol:

OT: the new motu mk3 hybrid with firewire is LoOovely :idea:

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:44 am

Hermanus wrote:indeed :mrgreen:

well as long as I only have to be busy with myself and some extra hardware, Live is the best designed for me.

I can understand that when you have a whole band to handle, DP could be very useful.
In fact really I can't make any bad judgment about something I don't know, use or even tried

And as it's on the motu website, the artists are not going to rant on their support, advertising it is :lol:

OT: the new motu mk3 hybrid with firewire is LoOovely :idea:
^ That new motu is definitely dope. And you're right, never used DP, and I guess Live probably couldn't handle what is going on with the video and all that jazz..

What I was really gettin at was the part about how most if not all the other DAWs are stuck in the linear fashion, where as Live, I thought, was the only DAW that really let you break free from the linear set up.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:50 am

and dude H2O I think Ableton just doesn't like you man, that volume issue is really bizzare and I know you've had other weird problems too, it's a shame.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:05 pm

You know what? I've never used some motu gear, so nevermind :mrgreen:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:29 pm

outershpongolia wrote:and dude H2O I think Ableton just doesn't like you man, that volume issue is really bizzare and I know you've had other weird problems too, it's a shame.
yeah I must have been a smart ass on the forum one too many times huh?

I don't even know what to think. I wish there was a reset button to get my samples sounding right again. I think re-recording my vocals is the fastest fix I can come up with. Its one verse and one phrase...

I'm just glad it didn't happen on some audio that I got from someone passing through. Not knowing the cause is pretty disturbing though...

interpolate

Post by interpolate » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:34 pm

MOAR Beyonce pics plz
Ableton Suite 8 & Max4Live

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:37 pm

Live needs to be able to punch in and out of loops on the fly like Traktor does and I find it pretty damn retarded that it can't yet do that by now.

It may be the best thing out there but there are some obvious things that it should be able to do to make it a live "jam" type tool.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:08 pm

beats me wrote:Live needs to be able to punch in and out of loops on the fly like Traktor does and I find it pretty damn retarded that it can't yet do that by now.

It may be the best thing out there but there are some obvious things that it should be able to do to make it a live "jam" type tool.
Looper?

Not sure cause I've never use traktor, only Torq, which has a pretty straight forward looping function, but I don't DJ so I'm not the one to talk to.