apc for production?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ctdf

apc for production?

Post by ctdf » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:41 pm

Hi,

The apc certainly looks like a beast for live performance, but for the time being I would only be using it for productions using the traditional daw arrange view, do you think it is worth the £400 for this type of use or would it be a bit overkill?

thanks

jim

dcease

Re: apc for production?

Post by dcease » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:59 pm

WAYYYYY overkill, if you plan on using it mostly in arrange view. if you use session view a lot, it's a great tool, but other tools would prolly be better suited for arrange view. the faders border on worthless, the clip triggers would be pretty worthless, hell, the transport and device knobs are really the only things i use the apc for in arrange...
/2c

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:54 pm

the whole unit is designed to interface with session view. this can still be great for studio work, to the extent that you use session view. i don't think your going to have much fun with it if you're mostly just doing arrangement view work.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:58 pm

actually I quite like it for production. I set up my ideas in session and "arrange" the song live with the APC. Its a lot more fun (and quicker) to play out the arrangment than it is to sit and click all day. Record automation, etc, then go back into arrangement and take care of the the precision work. At that point most of the work is done, I've sketched out a strong backbone for my track using the apc40 already so I can focus on the little stuff by the time I'm in arrange view.

kconlan

Post by kconlan » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:27 pm

In my opinion, using Stray's 1st preset for the APC, called apC-CL1 and available at nativekontrol.com, makes the apc's usefulness skyrocket in arrange view.

My number 1 critique of the APC is that its extremely useful in the earlier stages of a song's creation (in session view), but once you make that switch over to arrange, it becomes less useful, and like dcease said, the clip triggers are practically useless.

With apC-CL1, in what's called Navigation Mode (watch the video), the clip triggers are used for editing functions (or drum racks). I can't recommend it enough.

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:07 pm

prior to the apc, I mainly seriously worked in arrangement view for any serious work.. the session view was mainly for messing around.. now with the apc, I am actually having more fun in the session view and as a result, using it more and coming up with more ideas I would've never tried if i was in arrangement view.. once the ideas are set, of course I bounce to arrangement view for more serious editing, and of course add any automation and more editing more suitable for the arrangement view.. Once I am in the arrange view, I rarely do touch the apc.. but like somebody said, Nativekontrol came out with some mackie emulation for the APC which will have alot of use in the arrange view.. but yeah, just get it and end the agony of debating whether your getting it or not.. you know it's just a matter of when.. :mrgreen:

ctdf

Post by ctdf » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:16 pm

just ordered :lol:

i dj quite a lot in the more traditional sense so at the moment playing out with it sounds like a lot of time warping!

but jamming in session really appeals to me, grooving.

isaachrvat

Post by isaachrvat » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:47 pm

I used to "write/draw" my tracks....now i am "jaming/performing" them and it is more fun like this i must say....

alin55

Post by alin55 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:51 pm

nuxnamon wrote:prior to the apc, I mainly seriously worked in arrangement view for any serious work.. the session view was mainly for messing around.. now with the apc, I am actually having more fun in the session view and as a result, using it more and coming up with more ideas I would've never tried if i was in arrangement view.. once the ideas are set, of course I bounce to arrangement view for more serious editing, and of course add any automation and more editing more suitable for the arrangement view.. Once I am in the arrange view, I rarely do touch the apc.. but like somebody said, Nativekontrol came out with some mackie emulation for the APC which will have alot of use in the arrange view.. but yeah, just get it and end the agony of debating whether your getting it or not.. you know it's just a matter of when.. :mrgreen:

+1 8)

Bleep Blop Ima Robot

Post by Bleep Blop Ima Robot » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:27 pm

i actually bought my apc for production for now, as soon as i got it tho it made my life insanely easier and i was so surprised at the work i was able to create while working with it. Your able to do alot more and tweak more of your sounds a lot easier with it. Its helped me a lot.
::Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz 4 GB:: ::Ableton Suite 8:: ::NI Massive:: ::NI Maschine:: ::NI FM8:: ::NI Audio 4 DJ:: .::.Akai APC40.::. .::.LaunchPad.::. .::.Nocturn 49.::. .::.Akai MPK25.::. .::.BCR2000.::. ::KRK R5's::
::M30 Reverb:: ::SampleMoog::