Compressor question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
UnCL0NED

Compressor question

Post by UnCL0NED » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:11 pm

Hey People,

I've recently updated to Live 8 and started reading the manual "over" again. I came across the Compressor chapter and read the following:

"... FB is a feedback model, which analyzes the output of the device and then self-adjusts its compression behavior. Because feedback compressors analyze signals that have already been compressed, their Attack and Release parameters are a bit less precise, and act more like suggestions to the compressor. But feedback compression generally results in a much smoother sound, with less overall gain reduction but also less potential for distortion artifacts. The classic analog compressor models that are so highly sought after in hardware-based studios are generally all feedback models..."

Since I've been looking into these UAD-2 cards recently, I was wondering now: can the Compressor in Ableton Live achieve similar results to the compressors from the UAD series? I know how and when to use a compressor , but I don't have a mixing background, so I can't tell if something is compressed with a Neve 33609 or a Fairchild 670 (yet). Now that I mention this, is it even worth to purchase a UAD card at all on the level I mix on? ;-)

Thanks for your feedback,
UnCL0NED
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

mihai

Re: Compressor question

Post by mihai » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:27 pm

i'd get the uad for mastering purposes.

Mr Mowgli

Post by Mr Mowgli » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:43 pm

Ben Jay - Founder, Prime Loops [2GB Free Download for my friends...Click Banner!]

UnCL0NED

Post by UnCL0NED » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:21 am

Thanks for the feedback...

Nice vid. Mr. Mowgli, but I know how a compressor works.

I was just wondering if the Feedback button in "Compressor" can give similar results as using a high-end plugin like for instance the UAD Fairchild 670, when set correctly. Maybe you won't get exactly that authentic Fairchild sound, but is there a certain degree of "warmth/colour/character" in Compressor when using this? Personnaly I have no problem with Compressor, but before I spent a lot of money on a UAD-2 card, I just want to make sure it's worth the investment.
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:29 am

I think you've answered your own question:

If you can't hear the difference, save your money and use Live's compressor.

I use Lives compressor alot and no-one has ever said to me after hearing any of my production and said what a shame it was i didnt run it through a Neve. IMO 99.9% of listeners won't know the difference, and that means quite a bit in the final analysis I think.

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:02 am

I personally like to have many different types of compressors. Not all compressors are so straight forward. For example read UAD manual for the Neve 88RS compressor. It saves me a lot of time. Very little fiddling about. Three are others. It just comes down to having a handful of fantastic compressors that are good for different things. This way you are not trying to smash squares through round holes.