[amo] resizing clips crashes live

thumpmonk

[amo] resizing clips crashes live

Post by thumpmonk » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:45 pm

Resizing audio and midi clips causes frequent crashing with live. no 3rd party plugins involved. Just recording and then resizing of either audio (say a vocal or guitar) or midi and then resizing the clip after the recording causes live to freeze, produce a spinny wheel, and then vanish with the quit message.
Thumps
---------------
MacPro5,1
2X 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
8 Core
8 GB RAM
Hot and cold running water
Rear spoiler

TobiasHahn

Re: resizing clips crashes live

Post by TobiasHahn » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:28 am

Dear thumpmonk,

in order to investigate this issue, we would ask you to provide us with a few more details on this issue.

- What beta do you use? Can you reproduce the issue with the latest beta?
- What kind of recording do you do (session, arranger, protocol)?
- Has the clip you are trying to resize Loop set to on or off?
- How do you resize the clip (i.e. dragging the right/left edge in arranger, dragging the loop brace in detail view, entering new values for start and end in detail view)?
- Were you able to send the bug reporting snapshot?

Thanks for helping us making Live better,
Tobias

thumpmonk

Post by thumpmonk » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:50 pm

My problem was with 8.015b, I'm am trying it with the newer version. So far so good. For some reason when I email those crash reports they bounce back, its probably my rmail server thinking they're malicious.

I'll know soon. I have some heavy sessioning to go here with .0816b
Thumps
---------------
MacPro5,1
8 Core
8 GB RAM
Rear spoiler

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:30 am

Hi,

It's always a good idea to try with the latest available beta before reporting a bug. Indeed, there was a crash when resizing a clip over another one, that was fixed for b16.

As for your bug reports bouncing back, maybe it's because of the size? If you have a crash you can reproduce, better to restart Live, reproduce the crash. Then restart Live once more as to create the crash pack on your desktop. This way, the size of the crash report will be reasonable. The size of this files depends on how long Live have been opened.

I'll move this thread away as there is no issue left here.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

Benshik

Post by Benshik » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:09 am

Amaury wrote:Hi,

It's always a good idea to try with the latest available beta before reporting a bug. Indeed, there was a crash when resizing a clip over another one, that was fixed for b16.
Hi,
latest beta but still crashing here... very often...
:roll:
Macbook 2.2ghz, OS 10.5.2, Focusrite Saffire, Microkontrol, Lemur

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:27 am

Benshik wrote:
Amaury wrote:Hi,

Hi,
latest beta but still crashing here... very often...
:roll:
Hi,

"but still crashing here... very often...".. What does that mean? In which circumstances is it crashing? While resizing clips? Please give a more detailed report so that we can see how to reproduce these crashes.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

Benshik

Post by Benshik » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:43 am

Amaury wrote: What does that mean? In which circumstances is it crashing? While resizing clips? Please give a more detailed report so that we can see how to reproduce these crashes.

Regards,
Amaury
i record audio in the arrangement with the loop on. i stop recording a bit after the playback came back to the beginning of the loop section, so two clips are created: the main one and a short little one at the beginning of the loop. i drag the edge of the main clip towards the beginning of the loop in order to make the little clip disapear, in order to cover it. at that point, live crashes...

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:48 am

Benshik wrote:
Amaury wrote: What does that mean? In which circumstances is it crashing? While resizing clips? Please give a more detailed report so that we can see how to reproduce these crashes.

Regards,
Amaury
i record audio in the arrangement with the loop on. i stop recording a bit after the playback came back to the beginning of the loop section, so two clips are created: the main one and a short little one at the beginning of the loop. i drag the edge of the main clip towards the beginning of the loop in order to make the little clip disapear, in order to cover it. at that point, live crashes...
Hi,

Are you positive that you're using Live 8.0b16? I can't reproduce this here. There may be another detail that comes in the picture?

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

Benshik

Post by Benshik » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:22 am

[quote="Amaury"
Are you positive that you're using Live 8.0b16? I can't reproduce this here. There may be another detail that comes in the picture?

Regards,
Amaury[/quote]

yep... beta 16. been crashing a lot on me. i record audio @ 24/48 with my saffire, if it helps... i normally resize the clip few secs after recording. maybe i perfrom too many actions too quickly? dunno

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:32 am

Benshik wrote:
Amaury wrote: Are you positive that you're using Live 8.0b16? I can't reproduce this here. There may be another detail that comes in the picture?

Regards,
Amaury
yep... beta 16. been crashing a lot on me. i record audio @ 24/48 with my saffire, if it helps... i normally resize the clip few secs after recording. maybe i perfrom too many actions too quickly? dunno
Shouldn't be a problem no. What you should do is:

- Restart Live.
- Reproduce the crash.
- Start Live again, so that it produces a crash pack (click OK to the crash pack creation window).
- Then send this file to beta@ableton.com, with a reference to this thread.

Thanks,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

Amaury

Re: [amo] resizing clips crashes live

Post by Amaury » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:23 pm

Hi,

Do you still have problems regarding this issue with beta 21? Did you ever send us files?

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

thumpmonk

Re: [amo] resizing clips crashes live

Post by thumpmonk » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:40 pm

Problem went away with 21. :D Sorry, I forgot to report.
Thumps
---------------
MacPro5,1
8 Core
8 GB RAM
Rear spoiler