[awi] Audio interruptions

slirak

[awi] Audio interruptions

Post by slirak » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:32 pm

Just about anything (yeah, I know, not very precise!) I do in Live 8b1x (currently at b14) seems to interrupt the audio stream shortly.

Not tweaking device parameters that much, but adding devices, moving devices, deleting devices (even if the track they're on doesn't have any clips), changing patches on some VST instruments, starting clips, changing clips, turning record on, off... ...sometimes even without me doing anything. And this in sets with moderate CPU usage (20 - 35%). A few times I've seen the CPU meter peak briefly when audio gets interrupted, but usually, it doesn't and neither does the disk overload indicator ever light up.

I realise this is a beta, but I find it really annoying and a bit worrying to be frank - I sure hope my two months old MBP will be able to run L8 smoothly, when it's finally released! I should add that L7.14 runs fine on the same machine.
:?
L8.1.4 Suite, MBP Unibody 2.4 GHZ 4GB OS X 10.6.4, Apogee One, Akai LPK25, Novation Nocturn, Korg Legacy w/MS20i controller, ComboSister, Moog Modular V, Oddity, Amplitube, T-Racks, CSR, Roland TD-12, guitars and basses and whatever...

ninjalab

Re: Audio interruptions

Post by ninjalab » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:36 pm

I had the same problem with b13 but it went away when I turned IAC Bus and Network OFF in the MIDI prefs....

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:40 pm

I had this exact same issue, and it all came down to a clip I had set to PRO in the warp method. As soon as I changed it to anything else, my audio played back fine no matter what I was doing. Maybe give that a shot?

slirak

Post by slirak » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:13 am

ninjalab wrote:I had the same problem with b13 but it went away when I turned IAC Bus and Network OFF in the MIDI prefs....
I'm uncertain how to tell Network is off? If I look in the preferences, the IAC icon is "greyed out" as if indicating it's disabled, but the Network icon isn't. I cant find any option to turn it off though. When I check its info, it doesn't seem to be active. Any advice?

Thanks!
/Jonas

slirak

Post by slirak » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:19 am

timothyallan wrote:I had this exact same issue, and it all came down to a clip I had set to PRO in the warp method. As soon as I changed it to anything else, my audio played back fine no matter what I was doing. Maybe give that a shot?
Thanks for the tip, but it's not applicable in this case unfortunately, no clips in Pro mode. And Live behaves this way no matter what Live set I use.
I guess I should be making music in L7 instead of being frustrated in L8.
But I just can't help it, gotta figure this one out now that I hear other people have...
:roll:

audiojunkies

Post by audiojunkies » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:55 pm

slirak wrote:
timothyallan wrote:I had this exact same issue, and it all came down to a clip I had set to PRO in the warp method. As soon as I changed it to anything else, my audio played back fine no matter what I was doing. Maybe give that a shot?
Thanks for the tip, but it's not applicable in this case unfortunately, no clips in Pro mode. And Live behaves this way no matter what Live set I use.
I guess I should be making music in L7 instead of being frustrated in L8.
But I just can't help it, gotta figure this one out now that I hear other people have...
:roll:

Yes also has anyone had the audio glitch in arrange view, at the same tim as cursor dissapearing... !!!! bloody annoying bug

slirak

Post by slirak » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:21 am

audiojunkies wrote:Yes also has anyone had the audio glitch in arrange view, at the same tim as cursor dissapearing... !!!! bloody annoying bug
Hmm, I'm not sure if I've had audio glitches at the same time, but I've "lost" the cursor several times in the beta, in Session view (I rarely use Arrange view).

Alex

Re: [awi] Audio interruptions

Post by Alex » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:17 pm

Hi folks,

can any of you, who can produce that behavior still in Live 8.0b14, provide me a Live set?

Regards
/Alex

Alex

Post by Alex » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:15 pm

Could you check how it behaves in the most recent beta, Live 8.0b20?

Regards
/Alex

slirak

Post by slirak » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:00 pm

Alex wrote:Could you check how it behaves in the most recent beta, Live 8.0b20?

Regards
/Alex
Just playing around a few minutes with the same set I mailed you before, it seems much better.

I still managed to provoke the occasional glitch, mainly by dropping AU and VST plugins on tracks (though I did manage by dropping 'native' instrument racks a couple of times too). I'd describe the glitches more like very, very short pops or clicks rather than interruptions. And I can no longer say that L8b is apparently worse than L7b14 in this respect. Nice.