Dummy clip effect racks

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Jekblad

Dummy clip effect racks

Post by Jekblad » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:57 pm

Dummy clips are awesome. If you don't know how to use them search the forum for "dummy clips". Also check out www.covops.org for some awesome tutuorial vids.

To use dummy clips you need to use clip envelopes to simulate automation. This turns into a problem since there is no way to raise a value on a macro past the point it's set on. So you have to flip back and forth and turn things up and down and the whole "relative" system can get confusing.

A solution i just came up with to make working with effect racks easier, is "invert range" on your macros, so when the macro is at 127 the effect is off. Now go into your clip envelopes, and draw some envelopes going down and you'll hear the effect.

So now you can make "dummy clip" effect racks of your favorite effect racks and get some use out of em and your dummy clips.

I'm going to try and release a live pack of "dummy racks" sometime soon here. Hope you like the tip.

If anyone has other useful workflows for dummy clips i'd love to hear them!
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:41 am

yeah... it's a nice tool for so many stuff..
you can automate anything in live with dummy clips...
aside from fx tweaking....

you can send out midi messages to a virtual port...
and make live use that port as 'remote' in...

then you can use clips to automate 'bpm',...'swing' ,...sends ...launch clips/scenes etc.etc..

bland_handl

Re: Dummy clip effect racks

Post by bland_handl » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:37 am

Great tip man - have long wished for a simple solution to this!

One small thing I can add is this:
When making a Dummy Clip to control a Macro (that has multiple parameters already mapped to it) - instead of inverting the values of all those parameters, just group the rack (which will make it a rack within a rack). Now map the original macro to the new macro and invert that.

Makes it a three-step process instead of the ten I just started to do!

thanks Jekblad

djgroovy

Re: Dummy clip effect racks

Post by djgroovy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:12 am

Cool.