learning logic, losing my mind...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sweetjesus

learning logic, losing my mind...

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:10 am

fuck ableton Live is so much more intuitive and logical (Excuse the pun)..

NOTHING at all in Logic follows any rational thought...

you want to shift a midi track an octave up? tough luck..
the synths look like someone spent a little too much time shading stuff in 3d and put buttons wherever they would fit...

why the hell does a synth middle panel need to spin like a lazy susan..

windows windows windows... a window here here and a window there there .. everything u want needs a window everywhere...

justin

Re: learning logic, losing my mind...

Post by justin » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:32 am

sweetjesus wrote:fuck ableton Live is so much more intuitive and logical (Excuse the pun)..

NOTHING at all in Logic follows any rational thought...

you want to shift a midi track an octave up? tough luck..
the synths look like someone spent a little too much time shading stuff in 3d and put buttons wherever they would fit...

why the hell does a synth middle panel need to spin like a lazy susan..

windows windows windows... a window here here and a window there there .. everything u want needs a window everywhere...
true, i think live is much faster when it comes to getting your ideas down quickly.
although i wouldn't be so dismissive of Logic as it is an incredibly powerful program which requires quite a lot of time to learn. i also agree with the windows issue, but i found v8 to be easier to navigate. some of the plugins sound really good but the UI is a bit overkill.

btw, transposing a midi sequence up/down is very easily done via the inspector panel... perhaps this is even easier than Live!

j

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:35 am

logic can be a pain in the ass to get your head around, I agree. Total habit thing, though. We're comfortable with Live so when we open up Logic, its like some sort of alien environment. Pretty sure it happens the other way around to hardcore Logic users with Live. Just keep at it. Logic is definitely a great program.

8O

Post by 8O » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:51 am

sweetjesus wrote:you want to shift a midi track an octave up? tough luck..
hehe - didn't we just lose the functionality to do this quickly in Live7? http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?t=98054

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:39 pm

Logic is a great DAW but it has always had a steep learning curve. You will probably be glad you stuck with it if you keep at it.

I personally found Cubase and Sonar easier to handle GUI wise and I agree that all of these apps 'fancy dan' up their GUIs and plugins unnecessarily, it was still a shock coming to the minimalism of Live from this though ! NOt saying these are better, all of them have their pros and cons and Logic is the best value of any of them at sub 500 bucks you get a lot of quality plugins and synths and features, even if you need a bit longer to get to grips with it all. The new GUI is quite a bit better than older ones, IMHO (some disagree).

You can always build your tunes in Live and then export and mix with any Logic enhancements you need, or rewire. I could never compose in anything but Live. I do occasionally export audio out to mix in Cubase though.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

forge

Post by forge » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:49 pm

I haven't used it in a long while and it may have changed since, but isn't the transpose setting in the track properties to the left? maybe you don't have it showing - I think it's the same place as track delay and things like that - I'm sure you could do octaves there

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:04 pm

forge wrote:
I haven't used it in a long while and it may have changed since, but isn't the transpose setting in the track properties to the left? maybe you don't have it showing - I think it's the same place as track delay and things like that - I'm sure you could do octaves there
i did that but it gets applied to all tracks.. theres a midi thru, and the transpose setting is applied globally ..

anyways, my point is overall there just so many windows and menus and things which relate to things without being near them visually or contextually... quite a headfuck

forge

Post by forge » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:10 pm

sweetjesus wrote:
forge wrote:
i did that but it gets applied to all tracks.. theres a midi thru, and the transpose setting is applied globally ..

anyways, my point is overall there just so many windows and menus and things which relate to things without being near them visually or contextually... quite a headfuck
there used to be one properties box like that for every track - I don't know what it's called though

doyou have Logic 8? I thought that went for the all in one gui?

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:35 pm

I believe we're talking about "extended region parameters"... I'll verify in a bit...
If you can imagine it, it can happen...

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:38 pm

Definitely a lot more windows yes, and also, the instruments look like spaceships. I find the gui especially annoying on ultrabeat and sculpture.

However, with Logic 8, they pretty much copied Live's single window look, except that the botton pane can be different editors. You don't have to have multiple windows open ever, they just kept that ability to maintain compatibility with old projects (and for mulitple screens and screensets etc.). But you don't ever have to have multiple windows open in Logic 8, Except for instruments and devices of course. Maybe that's what you mean?

And for transposing, ya couldn't be easier. You just put the octave up one in track parameters box don't you?
Professional Shark Jumper.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:54 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Definitely a lot more windows yes, and also, the instruments look like spaceships. I find the gui especially annoying on ultrabeat and sculpture.

However, with Logic 8, they pretty much copied Live's single window look, except that the botton pane can be different editors. You don't have to have multiple windows open ever, they just kept that ability to maintain compatibility with old projects (and for mulitple screens and screensets etc.). But you don't ever have to have multiple windows open in Logic 8, Except for instruments and devices of course. Maybe that's what you mean?

And for transposing, ya couldn't be easier. You just put the octave up one in track parameters box don't you?
ok figured out the difference between the track parameter and the global midi parameters..

going to the discussion of Ultrabeat... is there any bloody way to clear a pattern sequence in on easy click?

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:57 pm

If you go to the pattern selector bar at the bottom left, you can ctrl-click to get a clear, copy, paste menu...
If you can imagine it, it can happen...

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:00 pm

ha! Thats funny. Yeah,

logic is pretty 'illiogical'

just bite the bullet and geta video

macprovideo.com will get you up to speed pretty quickly.

The synths are so freakin ugly in logic arent' they? for fucks sake, I am a seasoned synth guy and I stared at ultrbeat for ever trying to wrap my head around that weird GI

forge

Post by forge » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:04 pm

sweetjesus wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:Definitely a lot more windows yes, and also, the instruments look like spaceships. I find the gui especially annoying on ultrabeat and sculpture.

ok figured out the difference between the track parameter and the global midi parameters..

going to the discussion of Ultrabeat... is there any bloody way to clear a pattern sequence in on easy click?
BTW - at risk of sounding like a dodgy salesman, you can get access to the entire Groovebox online catalogue for a month for $30US and there's loads of Logic stuff on there

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:07 pm

forge wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:

BTW - at risk of sounding like a dodgy salesman, you can get access to the entire Groovebox online catalogue for a month for $30US and there's loads of Logic stuff on there
you are a dodgy salesman and i kindly refuse the offer :P

weedigger .. u rock, u saved me spitting foam..