Audible clicks in Live 8

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
lazlo_funktek

Re: Audible clicks in Live 8

Post by lazlo_funktek » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:46 am

Has this been fixed on more up to date versions then? It seems like quite a major flaw.

Nicken

Post by Nicken » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:01 pm

don't seem to be fixed yet.
possibly all of us here refer to different kinds of clicks.
mine happen when selecting tracks or devices. but only if I have 2 midi-remote-outs activated.
ranted about this over here, but no reaction

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=124183

hope this will be fixed in coming updates...

Nicken

Post by Nicken » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:22 am

Nicken wrote:don't seem to be fixed yet.
possibly all of us here refer to different kinds of clicks.
mine happen when selecting tracks or devices. but only if I have 2 midi-remote-outs activated.
ranted about this over here, but no reaction

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=124183

hope this will be fixed in coming updates...
Okay, my problem went away as I took out the self-hacked Stepsequencer out of the equation.

It is this one:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... psequencer

made with farmpad and the padkontrol. seems like the massive amount of midi-assignments does not go along with multiple midi-outs.
now you know

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:16 pm

Gotta bump this.
I rebuilt my computer around Vista 32bit. Now I have this rather annoying problem.
Same thing as you guys.
Only happens with Live. Not any other program or stand alone plugin.
Glitches when moving stuff around. Been working with live since version 4. The problem seems exclusive to the Live + Vista combo. I expect that it would be the same with Windows7.

Here is the odd thing. The problem totally disappears when I use a DX driver!?

Is Intel core2 duo 6400
four gigs of ram
and two Nvida graphics

Marco78Polo

Post by Marco78Polo » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:02 pm

I really wish Ableton would fix this problem! I eaven baught a new sound card which works fine w/ FL Studio 9. It seems worse in 8.0.5, seems whenever I'm moving clips around are adding plug-ins it pops. Set the buffer to 30ms on my presonus and still get the clicks. I think if this many people are having issues Ableton should really start considerring doing something about this. Did I mention that this software cost me $800!

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:10 am

Am I the only person who has sent tech support an email about this? They have not gotten back to me yet but it has only been a day or two. Is there any reply from Ableton to speak of?

syzygywell

Post by syzygywell » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:53 pm

oscilator wrote:This doesn't seem right. I'm using a new Mac Pro Quad-Core with more ram and Live 8. When I software monitor an incoming physical synth as audio I'm getting clicks. This is even at a higher buffer rate with only one track. When I record the audio, the pops and clicks are audible. This shouldn't be happening on a workhorse machine like this. Could it be a Firewire or internal hardware issue? :|
I'm getting the same shit you are.

Okay update to 8.05 haven't upgraded to snow leopard as it seems to continue being an issue there and not all my software is ready to be moved up. 3.06 dual core, 4 gigs of ram audio-buffer at 700-1500, cpu at 3-10% and blotto. 1 physical synth incoming for 1 track w/ major clicks and pops. This is totally f*ckered up. I also shut off all midi assignments and still got the popping.

I've recorded one track and just left the clicks and pops in as "vinyl" but really I almost called the track spain on crack. But anyway that is what it sounds like at the levels listed above. I can not really go any higher on the buffer because it throws everything off with such an extreme amount of delay. 20ms isn't that bad but 45 is a joke when trying for accuracy particularly without a reverby slow attack on just one track such as this. btw the reverb is coming from the kurzweil KDFX itself so there isn't even one plug being used in Live.

http://instrumentsofflight.bandcamp.com ... n-on-vinyl

does going back to 7 fix it?
I can live without the apc40 for now.

syzygywell

Post by syzygywell » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:19 pm

Mike Goodwin wrote:Am I the only person who has sent tech support an email about this? They have not gotten back to me yet but it has only been a day or two. Is there any reply from Ableton to speak of?
no at this point I have as well.

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:56 pm

I have been pulling my hair out all weekend trying to get this to work on Vista. I am pretty pissed off at this point. Same deal with Windows 7. So my Asus P5Q-E,4G ram,6400 Dual core, Raid0 and some of the most common video cards around (Gforce 7 Series) are just to off the wall for this to work?
I am an Live fanboy but I refuse to be stuck on an archaic operating system (XP).
I am looking forward to what info there is to be had. It could be that I am getting to impatient.

syzygywell

Post by syzygywell » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:41 am

Mike Goodwin wrote:I have been pulling my hair out all weekend trying to get this to work on Vista. I am pretty pissed off at this point. Same deal with Windows 7. So my Asus P5Q-E,4G ram,6400 Dual core, Raid0 and some of the most common video cards around (Gforce 7 Series) are just to off the wall for this to work?
I am an Live fanboy but I refuse to be stuck on an archaic operating system (XP).
I am looking forward to what info there is to be had. It could be that I am getting to impatient.
No this is a really crap problem. I'm gathering you work mostly with audio as well. It seems to not hang up people who are software based. I'm on osx but it is the same thing over here which obviously means the problem is more universal. I have 7 on my system still but haven't the original file to do a fresh install after dumping 8 which I'm seriously thinking about doing. not to mention I'm worried how it will affect files done in 8.

but I'm thinking you could try to go back to 7 (which works w/vista I think, I was only xp with 5 so that is a long while ago) until this issue is fixed. crap solution I know.

jok

Post by jok » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:30 am

Hi guys,

clicks can have various reasons, this thread contains too many different scenarios & setups to make a general comment.
Please contact support@ableton.com if you experience this problem. Don´t forget to include the info listed here:
http://www.ableton.com/pages/support/co ... al_support

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:33 pm

jok wrote:Hi guys,

clicks can have various reasons, this thread contains too many different scenarios & setups to make a general comment.
Please contact support@ableton.com if you experience this problem. Don´t forget to include the info listed here:
http://www.ableton.com/pages/support/co ... al_support

Best,
Jörg
Ok so I sent an a support email over a week ago now and am still waiting for any word. As far as I can tell I sent them all the information that they would need. I am still wondering what the deal is.

solconnection

Post by solconnection » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:55 am

yep me too, macbook pro 2.2 ghz core2 duo 4gb ram, osx 10.4.11, motu ultralite Ableton 8.05 latest.

crackles, pops, crashes ALL THE FREAKING TIME (and in a variety of ways ranging from system crashes to lock ups/spinning wheel of death and just plain old disappearing) and is very poor at managing cpu load...it can hardly handle one or two instances of NI massive, which is shameful for a pc of my specs.

to add to it, undo stopped working, wtf?

complete pile of shit at the moment, was this thing beta tested?

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:40 am

solconnection wrote:yep me too, macbook pro 2.2 ghz core2 duo 4gb ram, osx 10.4.11, Ableton 8.05 latest.

crackles, pops, crashes ALL THE FREAKING TIME (and in a variety of ways ranging from system crashes to lock ups/spinning wheel of death and just plain old disappearing) and is very poor at managing cpu load...
Same here also.... :(

Hd

syzygywell

Post by syzygywell » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:16 pm

Mike, Solconection and Heavensdaw... here is where I am at in the process; we have been running through the obvious issues starting with trashing preferences etc.

As I said before I am on an iMac with one firewire 400 port, and one 800. I have not gotten my 800 to 400 cable that I ordered, I'm hoping that may clear the problem. So I have my echo chained into the daisy chain of HD's that I have of which there are 3 because I haven't yet bought just one with enough HD space to consolidate. Although not ideal this set up worked perfectly well in Live 7.

So I unplugged the HD's and just ran the Audio straight into the firewire port. And was not able, as of yet, to reproduce the cracks and pops but I also didn't put it under any type of strain since all it took was a mere one track previously to cause the problem. I eventually reconnected the HD's and the audiofire to the back of one of them and the problem has not yet shown up again so far. Which is weird in and of itself. It wasn't like there was a loose cable back there or anything.. that was something I checked out first.

I've brought this to the attention of another forum that uses quite a bit of hardware and has a lot of posting traffic so figured they would have had more experience with this.

And I did have a response from someone who stated
"I have problems with live whenever I run audio out and in and record at the same time.
so if I run audio out, no problems. record audio input, no problems. try to pass audio out through a reverb and back into the computer and record it? problems.
logic? no problems."
So I do know this problem is not exclusive and it would seem a variety of things can trigger it. That is where I am at with it so far. Once I have any type of resolution with this issue I will post.