The meaning of life?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Android Bishop

Re: The meaning of life?

Post by Android Bishop » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:37 pm

-deleted-

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:40 pm

sorry, this is mandatory >

the universe song n vid > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWVshkVF0SY

Bleep Blop Ima Robot

Post by Bleep Blop Ima Robot » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:05 pm

the meaning of life, where everything came from blah blah...is probably way to hard for any current mind to comprehend, cuz all these theories usually include an endless cycle, infinite, never ending...so there will always be something more and more after say if anything like that is ever discovered. There probably isnt a meaning to life its just something we created and we are just insanely lucky with evolution and being the perfect distance from the sun, its weird how everything in the universe is formed to a perfect condition, we are just an evolved species on a planet surviving like any other thing that might be in this massive universe, and just one of our processes in life is death. Nothing we can do about it, i welcome that shit tho cuz im really interested to see whats after death, i dont care to much about the meaning of life, to me, its getting to the end of our life cycle...and seeing what happens after that.
::Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz 4 GB:: ::Ableton Suite 8:: ::NI Massive:: ::NI Maschine:: ::NI FM8:: ::NI Audio 4 DJ:: .::.Akai APC40.::. .::.LaunchPad.::. .::.Nocturn 49.::. .::.Akai MPK25.::. .::.BCR2000.::. ::KRK R5's::
::M30 Reverb:: ::SampleMoog::

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:08 pm

you can do that today. kill yourself. now.

the afterlife is a notion derived from people being in denial about mortality or people scaring other people into submission.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Jan Holm

Post by Jan Holm » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:13 pm

The meaning of life = 37

Bleep Blop Ima Robot

Post by Bleep Blop Ima Robot » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:27 pm

lol, id like to make it to the end first. but death is serious, its real. not something to think about now for most people, but its something that should be thought about when a lot older before you mind starts depleting away and you just become an old fart on your death bed with only moments to think about...whats going to happen next. But im open to every theory out there about lifes meaning and or death. just like to hear what other people out there might think about this stuff.
::Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz 4 GB:: ::Ableton Suite 8:: ::NI Massive:: ::NI Maschine:: ::NI FM8:: ::NI Audio 4 DJ:: .::.Akai APC40.::. .::.LaunchPad.::. .::.Nocturn 49.::. .::.Akai MPK25.::. .::.BCR2000.::. ::KRK R5's::
::M30 Reverb:: ::SampleMoog::

Jan Holm

Post by Jan Holm » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:48 pm

Android Bishop wrote:-deleted-
Great - now we'll never know

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:08 pm

Jan Holm wrote:
Android Bishop wrote:-deleted-
Great - now we'll never know

i just slapped it on my post right before it

gjm

Post by gjm » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:12 pm

Android Bishop wrote:Again, value judgments are not what I am talking about nor am I interested in them. All I care about is what IS, and what is is the culmination of of a series of cause and effect chains that lead up to the present moment. What meaning or value it has is just some sauce your brain is putting it its experience of that moment, which is a part of the moment too, but it is not representative of the moment.
I would suggest that there is a difference between that which IS (this rock used to be inside a volcano, now its on a mountain side, and that which IS as a result of a value judgement (I am taking this rock and killing this infidel). Both result in a moment that simply is, but one is the result of a value judgement.
All these other things, like instincts and thoughts, and culture and all of that are merely responses to previous moments.
Yes, and all of these I would suggest are the result of value judgements either simple or complex, pre meditated or reflex. Yes, the result of these moments just IS, but the exercise of intention alone for me puts a spanner in the works. The results of choice and then action just ARE, but they are partnered by value systems, which the rock / tree does not have ( as far as I am aware).
It is the evolution of the universe, a constant state of response to previous "states". The reasons why they exist may be complex (i.e. the illusion of making choices is the ability humanity developed to run complex programs to formulate responses to its environment, which ultimately lead to more efficient responses which enhance its survival rates), but ultimately the reason why anything exists in its current state is because everything else has led it up to that point. There's always a reason, a "meaning" if you will, but that reason is just the cause and effect chain. And its always in motion, which means that this present moment is the cause for new effects down the line. If you look at suicide or war or serial killers or shit like that and wonder "how can there be meaning if these things exist?", you are ignoring the series of events that led up to those things occurring and their effect on the universe for the rest of eternity. Everything has a reason, and everything is a reason for something else. If there was no reason (i.e. cause/effect) it wouldnt exist.
I have no problem with the cause and effect chain, its just that I think there are two chains weaving in and out of each other, one being directed by a value system.
In order to make this statement, I take the liberty of assuming ONE thing:
*the universe exists
Ultimately I'm saying that the only truth is what is, the only real "meaning" or "reason" for any given thing is that which accounts for that thing's existence. What is, is. If it is not, then it isn't, is it? I'm comfortable with making that an absolute statement.
Cool, I am happy with that. I just have an out clause that says I make room for the discovery of that which IS that I don't yet know.

As always, just my opinion, someone who finds themselves asking about the meaning of their existence, or 'what should I be doing' or 'it all seems meaningless or pointless', should find a purpose and go for it. Stick their necks out, break out of the shallow tidal flow that sweeps them along (if thats what they are feeling). Its a good way to find meaning for the moments, but they need to just accept that in the end, it will all be pointless, and there is a massive possibility that no one will remember you or even care that you existed. Find a way to live now, savour the moment, expand your mind (through what ever means) create, experience, laugh, cry, repeat as many times as you can until 'shit happens' and its all over rover.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:07 am

The whole is pervaded with the smell of turpentine.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:34 pm

?

bodhi71

Post by bodhi71 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:46 pm

Jan Holm wrote:The meaning of life = 37
Why 37?

dcease

Post by dcease » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:56 pm

bodhi71 wrote:
Jan Holm wrote:The meaning of life = 37
Why 37?
it's actually 42.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrases_fr ... the_Galaxy

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:15 pm

I dig the way this guy (kahil Gibran) reflects on this.........

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5484/Gibran.htm

Hd

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:36 pm

5 pages on the Ableton forum and no definative solution to the meaning of life yet? Slackers