'Tapping in' warp markers

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
hambone1

'Tapping in' warp markers

Post by hambone1 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:10 am

Maybe I'm missing something and this isn't possible... but...

Can I listen to a clip while tapping & recording the tempo onto another track (MIDI or audio) and then carry these easy-to-edit transients (audio) or MIDI over to the initial track and convert them to warp markers?

Just an idea.. tired of doing warp markers!

Noematus

Post by Noematus » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:02 am

hambone... I've tried to process your question. I think you might need to reword.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:13 am

OK.. I'll try again!

Copy the AIFF in as a clip. While listening to it, record another audio track while tapping a mic as a click. Use this track to set warp markers to, where the tapped audio transients will be easily visually identifiable. Then transfer these warp markers to the original AIFF.

That still doesn't solve the problem of the tempo varying throughout the track, though. What I'm really trying to achieve is accurate warp markers along with accurate varying tempo, so that any dropped-in loops still time properly.

mikemc

ok, graphic landmarks for your warp markers

Post by mikemc » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:22 pm

Copy the AIFF in as a clip. While listening to it, record another audio track while tapping a mic as a click. Use this track to set warp markers to, where the tapped audio transients will be easily visually identifiable. Then transfer these warp markers to the original AIFF.
You want to use the spikes in the waveform graphic to set your markders, then copy that warp marker layout and paste it onto the original clip (sans tapped peaks).

So the question is "can you copy warp settings from one clip to another and how?" I'm pretty sure the answer is yes but I haven't ever copied warp markers that way, so it anyone knows how to that, I'd be curious too.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

iskandar

Post by iskandar » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:35 pm

you can click replace in the clip options and load the sample.. and it should use the same warp markers...

is this what u mean ??

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:37 pm

Exactly, Mike.. worded better than me!

As long as the audio clips are exactly the same length, it works great. Warp mark the tapped-in track using the easy-to-see spikes, then make a copy of this clip. Go to the copied clip, hit the Repl button, and select the original audio clip. It will retain the warp markers from the tapped-in track.

Now if I can only find a way to automate the tempo changes in a freely-recorded track, I'll be there.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:51 am

hambone1 wrote: As long as the audio clips are exactly the same length, it works great. Warp mark the tapped-in track using the easy-to-see spikes, then make a copy of this clip. Go to the copied clip, hit the Repl button, and select the original audio clip. It will retain the warp markers from the tapped-in track.
interesting ... thanks, iskandar, that was the missing piece.

How do you mean "automate"?
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:13 am

Hi Mike

By automate I mean using InTime to create a tempo map automatically (which works fine), then import that tempo map into Live. Live doesn't support importing tempo maps now, but it should (allegedly!) be in the next version, according to the folks at InTime who checked it out for me.

All I'm trying to do is to warp-mark a track with a free-flow tempo so that any additional tracks (FX, beats, video, lights) will stay beat-matched. It shouldn't be this hard!

Maybe I'm missing something obvious...