is live 8 gig safe on a macbook yet?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Phat Conductor

is live 8 gig safe on a macbook yet?

Post by The Phat Conductor » Sat May 23, 2009 12:52 am

i use supatrigga and effectrix in my template...

any word?

i'd love to make the switch asap but crashing is no fun for anyone.
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

porfiry

Re: is live 8 gig safe on a macbook yet?

Post by porfiry » Sat May 23, 2009 1:01 am

I'm going to roll the dice and play one with it tomorrow night. I've been using it pretty much exclusively since the 8.0.1 demo came out, and the only crashes I've had have involved one specific third-party plugin. Whatever bugs are left in it don't seem to affect actual stability at all. I've had quite good luck with it. I'm using a 2.2 C2D blacbook, late 2007 model.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Sat May 23, 2009 2:12 am

i used the beta for several performances, and 8.0.1.

all native effects though
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sat May 23, 2009 9:21 am

Yeah me too. Using it live but only with native effects. Brave is the man who might take supatrigger live with 8 at the mo I think.

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Sat May 23, 2009 2:32 pm

Really? I actually have an instance or two of that in my set...what has it done to you? I've fired it fairly often without any trouble.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sat May 23, 2009 2:43 pm

well, now you've said that, no brevity required. It clearly works fine. :D

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Sat May 23, 2009 2:59 pm

You're making me paranoid dude :)

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat May 23, 2009 3:04 pm

it's been gig safe for me since the first release.

i don't use anything 3rd party when i play gigs though.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat May 23, 2009 5:32 pm

Been playing 3 gigs in may with 8.01. no problems.

some 3rd party plugs too, korg nanos, motu ultralite.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat May 23, 2009 11:11 pm

My experience -

First two gigs with 8.0.1 had a moment each where Live stuttered for a couple of seconds - it sounded like a disk overload, but I didn't have time to see if the red Disk OL indicator was lit. This only happened once in the set, but had never happened under 7.0.14.

As a precaution for the next gig I changed to running the set off a 4Gb USB memory stick, result: no problems.

In the 8.0.3 bugfix changes, this was noted:
Playing back a particular audio clip in Beats warp mode would lead to disk overloads on loop back jump [5501]
Sounds like my symptoms, and I certainly have plenty of clips looped in Beats mode.

Played off the USB stick and 8.0.3 last night with no problems. So I can't say if: A/ the problem is fixed by the update or the use of the USB stick, or B/ if the problem was actually fixed at all, given it's random nature. All I can say is last night's gig had no problems.

Got three days of tech'ing and rehearsal coming up in a weeks time to get ready for a tour, and I'm going to try running the set from the MBP hard drive again to see if the problem is gone.

HTH YMMV etc
MBP M1Max | Sonoma 14.5 | Live 12.0.1 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3T | A clump of controllers
Soundcloud
Ableton Certified Trainer

alexsg

Post by alexsg » Sun May 24, 2009 2:59 pm

Pitch Black wrote:My experience -

First two gigs with 8.0.1 had a moment each where Live stuttered for a couple of seconds - it sounded like a disk overload, but I didn't have time to see if the red Disk OL indicator was lit. This only happened once in the set, but had never happened under 7.0.14.

As a precaution for the next gig I changed to running the set off a 4Gb USB memory stick, result: no problems.

In the 8.0.3 bugfix changes, this was noted:
Playing back a particular audio clip in Beats warp mode would lead to disk overloads on loop back jump [5501]
Sounds like my symptoms, and I certainly have plenty of clips looped in Beats mode.

Played off the USB stick and 8.0.3 last night with no problems. So I can't say if: A/ the problem is fixed by the update or the use of the USB stick, or B/ if the problem was actually fixed at all, given it's random nature. All I can say is last night's gig had no problems.

Got three days of tech'ing and rehearsal coming up in a weeks time to get ready for a tour, and I'm going to try running the set from the MBP hard drive again to see if the problem is gone.

HTH YMMV etc
please report how it goes with 8.03 and the set running off the internal harddrive!
thanks!

Sage

Post by Sage » Sun May 24, 2009 8:10 pm

Had a few gigs with Live 8 and no issues with it, only technical issues I've had was the PA at one venue, maybe should mention that to Ableton support :lol:

Don't really use 3rd party plugins though.

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Sun May 24, 2009 10:23 pm

The Phat Conductor wrote:i use supatrigga and effectrix in my template...

any word?

i'd love to make the switch asap but crashing is no fun for anyone.

Live 8.03 crashed on me last night at a gig actually (on my macbook pro). Luckily I was using a dual laptop setup and my other machine running serato was the one actually playing the sound when Live crashed.
Before It crashed I noticed that my custom Beat repeat rack started acting funky. I'd trigger it and it would either be offbeat or there would be no sound at all. So I quickly mixed over to the serato machine so I could test the beat repeat in my headphones. That was when it froze, beach balled for a few seconds, and then crashed. Lame.
Only 3rd party plugs in my set were Livecut on a crossfade rack on the master bus, Artillery on the master bus, and an instance of effectrix (in racks) on each of my 2 channels. Besides that I had a shitload of various ableton racks on the master all disabled but with triggerable on/off switches.

The weird thing is that I seem to remember my Beat Repeat rack acting up awhile back during various sets. I'd notice that it'd suddenly go off beat on a certain channel so I'd stop using it for the remainder of the set. Never crashed Live before though. All it is is a rack with a single macro that Turns on Beat reapeat and then adjust the grid the further you turn the knob. Then an ableton reverb activates as the grid gets really tight so as to tame the extreme buzz.
Anyways. Pretty straightforward rack. Not sure why it would be causing me problems. But yea, still not quite sure about Live 8's stability for gigging.

ps. I guess I should also add my exact setup details for the machine that Live crashed on last night.

2007 Macbbok pro 3 gigs of ram.
Laice firewire 800 external rugged terrain drive
Korg NonoKontrol
Edirol ua-1ex mini usb soundcard
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &
WinXP through Bootcamp and Fusion

De Novo Creation

Post by De Novo Creation » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:39 am

8 crashes on me when getting too crazy with effectrix live w/ 4 gigz (PC though :( ) mac pro is next big purchase. supatrigga in your template has given me less probz, none to be specific.