Post your File Management Method!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
K-Swiss

Post your File Management Method!

Post by K-Swiss » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:50 am

This thread is for:
-Where/how you organize and store your Warped Tracks, Instrument Drum Beats, Presets, etc
(Do you use ITUNES etc...)

-Can you export all your settings, warped tracks, and clips if you need to change computers?

timothyallan

Re: Post your File Management Method!

Post by timothyallan » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:22 am

When I was using Live to DJ with I'd store my warped tracks in a folder called WARPED with a bpm and key in the filename.

I don't save any loops, presets etc. so my tracks turn out relatively unique each time I finish one :)

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:47 am

ya you can just transfer your ableton library which will have all your presets, settings and things in it. its a good idea to back up your library periodically because it makes a reinstall a breeze if you have a back up.
as far as your live sets, warped tracks, and other stuff you keep those organized how ever you do and transfer that.. i've done reinstall and changed computers 3 times including a pc to mac transfer.. all went smooth as can be expected (nothing ever really goes perfectly smooth in life lol)
i'm not a DJ so i dont really warp songs
i keep my song ideas in folders organized by month and year with an attempt at a descriptive name plus bpm and tim sig if its not 4/4
then if i develop it further i move the file into either my band or my solo project folder structure.

its very challenging to keep it all organized but what ever i live in chaos :)

K-Swiss

Post by K-Swiss » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:18 am

Yeah, tell me about it. CHAOS.

I have yet to find a good method. I feel like organizing by date is somewhat of a bandaid solution. It starts creeping up on you after a while

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:27 am

I mostly recover clips from existing livesets - like I remember that there was this beat/ or bass or whatever in this or that liveset, then I just browse into it and drag and drop it into the actual project I am working on.

I have a big liveset containing all stuff for performance with my main project, that stays self contained on the laptop. All other projects get transferred to an external harddisk from time to time.

I use the library only for factory and bought presets (puremagnetik etc). My own stuff is only in the projects itself.

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:27 pm

still struggling really, but

as a dj i have a music folder with all songs divided by genre, all of them warped

as a producer (if i can be called one ;-) ) i'm still trying to find a way, but i collect all the samples and save everything on the same track/project folder.

hopefully one day!!!

Minimal Justice System

Post by Minimal Justice System » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:35 pm

I save all my warped tracks in an "Ableton Mixing" folder with sub-divisions for floaty, minimal or BIG so I cen search them quickly, I do have keys marked on them all but no BPM. I save all my cut tracks in a folder of the same name and the same with samples. I have a folder of "Mixing add in's" for clips I play while mixing of basslines, percussive sounds etc which have their own folders also... I like to refer to my orginisation as "protected" as I'm the only person who knows where the f**k to find anything?!
Live 7, Sony Vaio, limited talent, limited budget, limitless enthusiasm. :D
http://twitter.com/funkydoolah

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:17 pm

good topic! chaos here too! my projects, my samples and my presets are all over the place lol... was just trying to find something, I just don´t know where I put it. I wish ableton would have more of those folder buttons, that´d be much better, I guess I need about 20 of those. there is still some screen real estate left in that corner.
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

Jan Holm

Post by Jan Holm » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:09 pm

timothyallan wrote:I don't save any loops, presets etc. so my tracks turn out relatively unique each time I finish one :)
+1

I actually just begun to save some racks - it feels like cheating :P