shared clips between session and arrange - make BTA blue

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
forge

shared clips between session and arrange - make BTA blue

Post by forge » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:37 pm

to add to the old ghost/alias clips wish

maybe if you change the BTA button to Navy BLUE then you could also use Navy blue to be the colour of the play button on a playing clip if it is shared between session and arrange

I so badly want to be able to have session and arrange point to the same clip

Angstrom

Re: shared clips between session and arrange - make BTA blue

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:47 pm

I'm unsure how implementing ghostclips would work without confusing the hell out of people. And I'm also not sure what you are proposing here.

So I record a clip in session, and lets assume it can hold some proper automation. Now I drag it into arrangement, and duplicate it in a few different arrangement areas, which are separated from each other.
one of these clips I decide to edit to make it different, so I un-ghost it.
Now I have 2 clips which are linked to the session version and one which is arrangement only
Now I record something else directly into arrangement.

So, what does a blue BTA button tell me about this situation, and what would the blue play buttons tell me?
I'm confused about your suggestion.

I'm not totally sure on the core request TBH - Why do you want session and arrange to point at the same clip?

forge

Post by forge » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:04 pm

Well, if you are playing a set in session view, with a midi controller like the VCM600, and you want to record it for later rendering (like a 60 minute DJ/Live set for example) I would much rather be able to see which clip is playign in session view when there is something in arrange, so that if there was a problem with the take you just hit record and start playing from the session clips again by pressing the play button again in session

its not so easy to see at a glance which clip is playing back currently

the BTA button is currently red, but play buttons go red then they are recording

so if the BTA button was blue then the play buttons being blue would tell you that the shared arrange/session clips are playing back

"shared" could be a button in clip view, like Master/Slave

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:28 pm

I see.

one big problem with this is - I have a rather unpleasant habit when recording out of session, that is of changing the clip length parameters, loop braces, velocities and notes, pitch settings, etc, etc

When I look at arrangement it looks like finely sliced ham. Each bar might have a huge amount of clips in. Of course, all those millions of clips are actually one clip that I tweaked a bit while it was recording, but Ableton records each tweak as a new clip. That would cause a big problem with your proposal, because I often have (estimate) 500 different clips produced on the fly out of one session clip.

until Session can handle the complexity that arrangement can handle there's going to be a schism between them.

Also, I have a strong 'feeling' that Ableton don't want to blur the line between Session and Arrange. As unfortunate as that is I believe it is correct.

forge

Post by forge » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:44 pm

Angstrom wrote:...That would cause a big problem with your proposal, because I often have (estimate) 500 different clips produced on the fly out of one session clip.
that to me is a major flaw in the current system

I would like to see Live 9 totally overhaul automation, like Live 8 overhauled Warping etc
Angstrom wrote:...I have a strong 'feeling' that Ableton don't want to blur the line between Session and Arrange. As unfortunate as that is I believe it is correct.
shame if that's the case