[OT] Alcoholism. Willing to share your problem?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
serge_a_storms

Re: [OT] Alcoholism. Willing to share your problem?

Post by serge_a_storms » Sun May 10, 2009 7:15 pm

brightonalex wrote:OP - did you post this with a hangover?
Oh I'm hungover from last night. No mistake!

Nope. On the way home from watching the footy (footie?) after a 3 lg glasses of wine, I was deciding whether to buy a bottle of wine with my last remaining £5.00 to go with the almost finished one in the fridge. I don't drink beer by the way.

I feel like a middle class drunk! In fact I am!

Oh, and I'm now drinking the btl in the fridge. So I'm on my 3rd btl. Which even by my standards is fucking scary!!

The weird thing is, I feel pretty coherent.Although I know I'm bordering on a complete mess.
MacBook Pro i7 16gb RAM, OSX 10.11.2, Live 9.7

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Instagram

DaffyDub

Post by DaffyDub » Sun May 10, 2009 7:20 pm

Back in my drinking days - when I first started realizing I might have a problem, I took a couple of long breaks away from the drink(3-6 months) and then started up slowly again.... every time I did it, I was in perfect control the first couple of months after starting again - but soon found myself on the downward slide.... I guess I was a bit like you - pop the first cap, and then I'd drink till I dropped, even though I sometimes managed to stop before my brain went to bed, the most usual pattern would be that I drank untill all the bars were closed and I had no money left in my pocket.... and quite often I'd just continue when the "morning bars" opened..... FINALLY I made the decision to just QUIT once and for all as I reluctantly realized: Hi my name is Daffydub, I'm an alcoholic :oops:

I didn't seek help... didn't go to AA or anything - I simply QUIT (not saying everybody can do it the same way I did)

It's been 12 years now..... It's the BEST thing I ever did for myself..... but still..... It's tough sometimes at parties when everybody drinks and laughs and join eachother in the AlcoLogic and I feel left out...... sometimes I even ALLMOST kid myself that maybe one day I can drink again...... but the truth is: I CAN'T, 'cause: HI my name is Daffydub, I'm an alcoholic :oops:

LUCKY FOR ME - I CAN SMOKE WEED NO PROBLEM :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Best of luck to you

Peace Daffydub
More bass in the hihat
http://www.youtube.com/DAFFYDUBBY

first 124 posts as: Overdub

Sage

Post by Sage » Sun May 10, 2009 7:44 pm

Sphinx wrote:Mabybe if your original advise: "Don't worry too much about it. You sound like one of the many thousands of British binge drinkers. Start worrying when you want a drink in the morning, getting done repeatably for drink driving and your hitting the hard stuff." wasn't so full of shit, then ewistrand would not have been so harsh on you. You obviously know very little about alcoholism.
I'm one of the 'thousands of British binge drinkers' and also witnessed the effects of alcoholism. The difference is why you're drinking and the situations you find yourself drunk on a regular basis, like work, not simply drinking a lot.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sun May 10, 2009 7:50 pm

ok punk - I see your american president and raise you shane magowan

I win, methinks.
spreader of butter

Sphinx

Post by Sphinx » Sun May 10, 2009 7:55 pm

Sage wrote:I'm one of the 'thousands of British binge drinkers' and also witnessed the effects of alcoholism. The difference is why you're drinking and the situations you find yourself drunk on a regular basis, like work, not simply drinking a lot.
Take this 20 question test to help you decide whether or not you are an alcoholic.

Answer YES or NO to the following questions.

1. Do you lose time from work due to drinking?
YES __ NO __

2. Is drinking making your home life unhappy?
YES __ NO __

3. Do you drink because you are shy with other people?
YES __ NO __

4. Is your drinking affecting your reputation?
YES __ NO __

5. Have you ever felt remorse after drinking?
YES __ NO __

6. Have you ever got into financial difficulties as a result of drinking?
YES __ NO __

7. Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking?
YES __ NO __

8. Does your drinking make you careless of your family’s welfare?
YES __ NO __

9. Has your ambition decreased since drinking?
YES __ NO __

10. Do you crave a drink at a definite time?
YES __ NO __

11. Do you want a drink the next morning?
YES __ NO __

12. Does drinking cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
YES __ NO __

13. Has your efficiency decreased since drinking?
YES __ NO __

14. Is drinking jeopardizing your job or business?
YES __ NO __

15. Do you drink to escape from worries or trouble?

YES __ NO __

16. Do you drink alone?
YES __ NO __

17. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking?
YES __ NO __

18. Has your physician ever treated you for drinking?
YES __ NO __

19. Do you drink to build up your self-confidence?
YES __ NO __

20. Have you ever been to a hospital or institution because of drinking?
YES __ NO __

What's your score?

If you have answered YES to any one of the questions, there is a definite warning that you may be an alcoholic.

If you have answered YES to any two, the chances are that you are an alcoholic.

If you answered YES to three or more, you are definitely an alcoholic.

(The test questions are used at Johns Hopkins University Hospital, Baltimore, MD, in deciding whether or not a patient is an alcoholic)

mihai

Post by mihai » Sun May 10, 2009 7:59 pm

being hooked on live should help with that. i guess some great studio sessions should be enough to have you stop thinking about alcohol [or anything else] too much. i have had a couple of instances where i would work on a track all day, feeling too good about it, and finally reaching the end of the day realizing i didn't even have anything to eat all day. no sarcasm in this post.

Sage

Post by Sage » Sun May 10, 2009 8:01 pm

Sphinx wrote:If you answered YES to three or more, you are definitely an alcoholic.

(The test questions are used at Johns Hopkins University Hospital, Baltimore, MD, in deciding whether or not a patient is an alcoholic)
I wonder how many British people would class as an 'alcoholic' according to that? Apparently I am :lol:

Sphinx

Post by Sphinx » Sun May 10, 2009 8:08 pm

Sage wrote:
Sphinx wrote:If you answered YES to three or more, you are definitely an alcoholic.

I wonder how many British people would class as an 'alcoholic' according to that? Apparently I am :lol:
As am I....it took me 24 years of drinking and using to admit it, and I've not had a drink or drug in almost 18 years. I've met 1,000s of sober alcoholics along that journey - and definitely learned more than a thing or two about the disease of addiction. The singlemost important thing I've learned?

"Alcoholism is the disease that tells you that you DON'T have a disease." :wink:

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun May 10, 2009 8:45 pm

b0unce with Shane = FTW.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun May 10, 2009 8:46 pm

serge_a_storms wrote:
abort wrote:I'm still FMAO with loopstation's post :mrgreen:
lovejoy! there's no nead for that! I'm not sure if your trying to scare me to quit?

:?

lol. All I know is that I loved that show, and everytime Tinker would say 'drinky drinky' I'd reach for a bottle of Newcastle. Roll models. Go figure. Now drink up, ya baaaaastards.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Sphinx

Post by Sphinx » Sun May 10, 2009 8:46 pm

Rave wrote:you ain't a doctor.
Neither are you, Rave... :roll:

Sphinx

Post by Sphinx » Sun May 10, 2009 8:55 pm

Rave wrote:
Sphinx wrote:
Rave wrote:you ain't a doctor.
Neither are you, Rave... :roll:
or an alcoholic, or am I?????????????????????? :roll:
I have no idea....I do know your advise in regard to alcoholism is (IMHO) off-base. BTW, major kudos on giving up the ciggies - good move on your part! Those bitches will take your ass down HARD! Ever watch someone die of lung cancer? I watched my brother go through it....not a pretty picture!

TITBAG

Post by TITBAG » Sun May 10, 2009 11:08 pm

Rave wrote:
Sphinx wrote:
I have no idea....I do know your advise in regard to alcoholism is (IMHO) off-base.

Be rude to me when i meant well is 'off-base'. There are nicer ways of 'educating' people.
I DON'T LIKE YOU

Sphinx

Post by Sphinx » Sun May 10, 2009 11:15 pm

Rave wrote:Be rude to me when i meant well is 'off-base'. There are nicer ways of 'educating' people.
I have VERY little patience for drunks and/or idiots today, Rave. A drunk driver totaled my wife's brand new car (2 months old) last night, parked in front of our home in the Hollywood Hills - then decided he would flee from the scene of the accident. Fortunately, someone got his license plate number, and the little bitch is now cooling his heels in the LA County Jail as I write this. Hopefully, he'll seek help with his drinking problem after this...

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Sun May 10, 2009 11:50 pm

I am a heavy social/occasional binge drinker. I dont have any problems with it. Ive never had any detrimental effects from drinking besides a couple of fights Ive been in while drunk but I may have gotten into them while sober so its negligible. I dont drive drunk. Friends that have kept pace with my drinking have all had problems because of it. Drinking can fuck your life up. If you have a suspicion that you have a problem go talk to counselor and stay away from aa or na until you have been diagnosed by a professional(go to an addiction counselor)
Last edited by ThrowAway on Mon May 11, 2009 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.