New Warp Engine

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ajstrax

New Warp Engine

Post by ajstrax » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:47 pm

Overall, I like the update. But I'm having trouble understanding why the new way of warping? I'm not sure what it adds other than confusion (at least for me). Is there a way to toggle between the "old" way of warping and the "new" way? Although I like the fact that complex pro is really accurate on tracks, this new way of warping makes warping acappella very difficult. I used to be able to warp an pella in minutes. Tx.
Live 6, MV8800, Moog Phatty, Guru, KRK Rokit 5's

RaidenOffKey

Re: New Warp Engine

Post by RaidenOffKey » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:53 am

Yep same here overall Im really pleased with Live 8
This new warp engine just seems to be long. Its great for capturing the groove of an old break (when it finds the transients) but it takes forever if you need it to be bang on or use it for something other than rythmic material.
I wish there was an option to toggle between old and new warping styles too. I'm sure the new one is good once your used to it, but it would be nice to have a choice.
Maybe in 8.02 please? :wink:

madcre8r

Post by madcre8r » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:03 am

+1 for toggle between old and new. or at least be able to turn off transients.

ajstrax

Post by ajstrax » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:38 am

I agree with you both. The new warp does not allow you to be as exact as the warp in version 7. Part of the problem is that the transients are always a bit off (too early), so I have to go bar by bar and use the "set warp marker" function to set the marker in the right place. That takes too long. It's simply not as exact as before. Why would it be difficult to allow us to toggle between the modes? It's also odd that the Abes would mess with the very thing that made the program revolutionary. All users, especially DJs, rely on the ability to warp tracks quickly. This takes too long. Odd choice.
Live 6, MV8800, Moog Phatty, Guru, KRK Rokit 5's

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:53 am

I'm not getting this, how can it have transient detection and be not as accurate than before and why isn't everbody piling on this thread wtf is up with the slicing here?

@you guys already in the thread, are you guys trying to warp on the fly in realtime or are you talking about studio work I'm trying to figure out what type of speed you're needing when saying that it takes too long,

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:56 am

It's just different.

I did not beta test this year so today was my first day with the new warp system.

The transient detection is a great addition. It doesn't work with all material, but on the stuff it does work on, it makes everything easier. I warped a bunch of 70's dub stuff today and actually had auto warp work 100% on one track. That *never* happened before.

it is taking some getting used to, but i think it's going to be just fine.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:18 pm

RaidenOffKey wrote:Yep same here overall Im really pleased with Live 8
This new warp engine just seems to be long. Its great for capturing the groove of an old break (when it finds the transients) but it takes forever if you need it to be bang on or use it for something other than rythmic material.
I wish there was an option to toggle between old and new warping styles too. I'm sure the new one is good once your used to it, but it would be nice to have a choice.
Maybe in 8.02 please? :wink:

how long is the normal loop size you are working with?
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu