Setting Live's "priority" in Windows XP

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MusicManic

Setting Live's "priority" in Windows XP

Post by MusicManic » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:17 pm

Live is currently set at "Normal" priority, but there are 3 higher levels:
"Above normal" "High" and "Realtime"
What are the dangers of setting it to a higher priority?
I use this PC for recording only, so I figure it should be set to the highest priority, right? I assume that's "Realtime."
Live has shut down on me twice, but only when using one particular reverb -- SIR
Thanks,
Jeff

MusicManic

Re: Setting Live's "priority" in Windows XP

Post by MusicManic » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:07 pm

Bump. Anyone with any info on this? It seems like an important setting.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:51 pm

in the old single core days it was a bad idea as it could choke out other threads, these days i don't know... i doubt it makes a lot of difference on a modern multi core machine, and if it's causing SIR to crash live it's definitely a bad idea!
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

MusicManic

Post by MusicManic » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:34 am

Clearscreen wrote:in the old single core days it was a bad idea as it could choke out other threads, these days i don't know... i doubt it makes a lot of difference on a modern multi core machine, and if it's causing SIR to crash live it's definitely a bad idea!
Oh, I guess my original post was misleading. The SIR crashed Live on the "Normal" priority setting. I haven't tried one of the other priorities yet, fearing that other bad things might happen. So what bad can happen on the higher priorities? I have a quad core and 4 gigs of memory.
Thanks

feyshay

Post by feyshay » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:01 pm

Where are you changing Live's priority--within Live preferences.
Where in XP are you changing the priority?

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:16 pm

You can change priority in task manager.

I've never messed with increasing the priority, but sometimes I'll bump the priority down when I'm rendering so that it doesn't interfere with web browsing and other tasks. I hope that getting a multi-core machine will eliminate the slowdowns I experience when multi-tasking.

I always set windows to tailor its performance to background services, rather than programs. (control panel > system > advanced > performance settings > advanced > processor scheduling) I do this because a website told me to, but I've also never had any problems running live on my single-core laptop from 2005. I have noticed that some programs do run better with processor scheduling set to programs. Adobe Premiere is an example of this.