Cut Tool

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
William

Cut Tool

Post by William » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:43 pm

To expand the audio editing abilities in live, it would be great to be able to cut
clips while in the arrangemnet view.

William

supster

Post by supster » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:51 pm

Expand the track, put your cursor where you want the split. CTRL-E
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

William

Post by William » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:25 am

Oops. Sorry. Live 4 newbie here...

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:34 am

Live is the best audio editor for musicians - use start/end points for trimming and the arrange view for everything else. It's what I love most about it.

-Paws

kathiet

Post by kathiet » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:07 am

I agree!!!! It would be so much easier to edit if this feature is considered.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:59 am

Eh?! IT*S THERE!

-Paws

rEalm

Post by rEalm » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:09 am

It's there, but in a very rudimentary form. A cut tool is really advantageous if you're trying to cut up a clip into many slices, way faster.

16 BIT

Post by 16 BIT » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:31 pm

Not only should there be a cut tool there should be

Mute tool (TOTALLY ESSENTIAL)

That would do me

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:42 pm

16 BIT wrote:Not only should there be a cut tool there should be

That would do me
hey 16bit... seems i'm replying to all your threads!...

try clip automation of volume, or the on-off of a "utility plugin" with volume all way down.

both cut and mute are both there... just different from other daws.

16 BIT

Post by 16 BIT » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:48 pm

am wrote:
16 BIT wrote:Not only should there be a cut tool there should be

That would do me
hey 16bit... seems i'm replying to all your threads!...

try clip automation of volume, or the on-off of a "utility plugin" with volume all way down.

both cut and mute are both there... just different from other daws.

hey AM,

Maybe Im stalking you :lol:

Eh? dont quite understand what you mean. Im talking about a mute tool when arranging is session view. I have to constantly Copy/paste/delete clips when trying out variations of the arrangement which gets very tedious.

Can you explain what you mean a bit more?

both cut and mute are both there... just different from other daws
EH? Can you explain what you mean a bit more I have never seen any kind of tool?

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:18 pm

i guess i'm talking about clip envelopes and ways that you can program them.

one way you could "mute" would be go into the clip parameters, select volume, change to the pencil tool, and draw it into the clip... you could do some really fast volume gating type effects using that.

or... if you just wanted to mute things like on a real desk, with real-time muting/unmute at different times... you can assign keyboard buttons or midi cc messages to the channel on/off button... or you could use a utility plugin on the track... and then assign a key or a midi cc message to the "mute button"....

so yes... not so much a specific "tool" but a more lateral approach.

as for cutting up audio.. i still think the non-destructive editing is one of the best things about live... it can turn one audio file into an unlimited amount of possibilities, all by manipulating the clip envelopes.... pitch/volume/sample offset/granular stuff/tempo...

but again you can use it in a more lateral way to achieve the same results as a cut too... just adjust the start and end points in the clip envelope... there is also the "cntrl E" for cut when in arrangement view.

on a different point...there are also some awesome ways of using clip envelopes to create really cool effects... if you've got a loop, either audio or midi, try recording some manual changes of the loop start point.... this can create some great rhythmic stuff.

-am

16 BIT

Post by 16 BIT » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:10 pm

Hey am,

to be honest your suggestion is rather a long work around to mute parts/clips in arrangement view.

I think a simple mute tool like (Cubase Logic PT's etc) would be pretty useful while arranging.

:)

pepezabala

what's the deal?

Post by pepezabala » Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:01 am

Hey, I can absolutely not imagine something more simple than muting a clip or a track in ableton!? As explained above, there are at least three different possibilities to do that. Especially with the clip envelopes you can realize an endless number of different stutter-splice-cut-whatever-effects with less than four mouseclicks.

And regarding cutting: I myself was missing this feature a long time, until I found out that I can cut anything I want in any possible way in arrangement view. Consolidate everything, copy the clip, paste it in session view and you can continue jamming. (But I have to admit that it took some weeks until I found out how this works, and before I was always returning to soundforge or spark to cut clips ... )