MPK49 Vs Remote 37SL

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Cowlash

MPK49 Vs Remote 37SL

Post by Cowlash » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:03 am

Hi! I've contacted Akai and had no reply, so I'm asking in here for your help. I bought a MPK49 the other day and after 2 days of messing around I managed to get it to work - I had a logitech webcam installed.

Now I've got it working, its nice, but the control bank doesn't work like it says it should in the video's. Only 1 - 8 work, no bank B or bank C.

My question is, has this been sorted yet, is it in the pipeline to be sorted, or do I have to send this keyboard back and replace it with a Novation?

Which leads me on to the next question. Does the Remote37SL do the bank thing correctly? If I have channel 17 in use, do I switch to bank 3 and press button/slider 1 to use it or do I have to remap every project individually, like it looks like I'll have to with the Akai?

I'd rather not change, I could use the extra octave, but I dont see the point in releasing the MPK49 if only half the controls were finished - If someone who might know can help it would be greatly appreciated

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:05 pm

bump

mike_o

Post by mike_o » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:07 pm

I don't know about the mpk49, but the Remote SL functions ass you'd suspect, bank over twice and the first fader becomes track 17, thats what you wanted to confirm correct?

EddieJ

Post by EddieJ » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:26 am

I've noticed the same thing.

What's the deal, yo?

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:27 am

Akai,Akai ...had to run editor every time first to get Live see it, the support is a joke. had enough of it and got SL 37 instead (and MPD32) which I use with old Automap only. I don't have to reprogram anything ever, just do my thing and SL follows.

ToLTeK

Post by ToLTeK » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:56 am

Novation has mastered "automap" with their range of controllers to almost perfection... Love It, use It and I would not substitute It for anything else - It is like a BMW of keyboard controllers - fast and responsive, the real musicians instrument, simply excellent :)
BTW; Automap version 3 is just to be released...
You are encouraged to try BETA as well:
http://mail.focusrite.com/beta/

Cowlash

Post by Cowlash » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:31 pm

thanks a lot for the replies everyone

i'll take this back and replace it with a novation 37. i cant believe they only mapped the first 8 channels, they work so well. i was really happy with my purchase until i realized i couldnt use the other 2 banks.

just so im 100%, with the novation - if im using track 17 in ableton, and i decided to move it to where track 2 is, will it then re-map to channel 2 on the sliders/knobs?

thanks again for the help everyone

UncleT

Post by UncleT » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:12 pm

Inch Lo wrote:
i cant believe they only mapped the first 8 channels, they work so well. i was really happy with my purchase until i realized i couldnt use the other 2 banks.
Is that true? I was about to buy an AKAI MPK. So I am better off with a Novation when it comes to "remoting" Live?

UncleT

Cowlash

Post by Cowlash » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:25 pm

UncleT wrote:
Inch Lo wrote:
i cant believe they only mapped the first 8 channels, they work so well. i was really happy with my purchase until i realized i couldnt use the other 2 banks.
Is that true? I was about to buy an AKAI MPK. So I am better off with a Novation when it comes to "remoting" Live?

UncleT
Yes, I'm afraid so. I tried all sorts to get banks B and C to work like bank A, but its not going to happen. I've returned it and now own a Remote 37SL.

I'll also add that I'm, still waiting for a human to answer my question from the email I sent to Akai Professional. The auto-responder they sent looks like this:

"It is important to us that we answer your questions or concerns and to get you up and running as quickly as possible. We apologize for this automated response.

A Support Technician will reply to your inquiry within 24 to 72 hours"

I sent the mail last Wednesday

As well as that I had to edit my registry due to owning a Logitech webcam before I could get it to work.

I was gutted I had to take it back because its a solid unit, it just failed in too many places for me and I'm not prepared to wait for empty update promises.

wish me luck with the novation! :)

davec1

Post by davec1 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:43 pm

that mpk49 bank thing is a pity, but I think it's ableton that's to blame there, not akaipro, since I'm sure it's ableton who program the implentation...

UncleT

Post by UncleT » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:10 pm

Inch Lo wrote:
UncleT wrote:
Inch Lo wrote:

UncleT
Yes, I'm afraid so. I tried all sorts to get banks B and C to work like bank A, but its not going to happen. I've returned it and now own a Remote 37SL.

I'll also add that I'm, still waiting for a human to answer my question from the email I sent to Akai Professional. The auto-responder they sent looks like this:

"It is important to us that we answer your questions or concerns and to get you up and running as quickly as possible. We apologize for this automated response.

A Support Technician will reply to your inquiry within 24 to 72 hours"

I sent the mail last Wednesday

As well as that I had to edit my registry due to owning a Logitech webcam before I could get it to work.

I was gutted I had to take it back because its a solid unit, it just failed in too many places for me and I'm not prepared to wait for empty update promises.

wish me luck with the novation! :)
Thank you for assuring this. I will try Novations controllers then; even if the price tag is a bit high, I think this automapping feature is worth the money.

UncleT

condra

Post by condra » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:53 am

I have an MPK49 and a Remote SL Zero.

Nothing about the MPK is as sophisticated (or complicated) as the Remote.

I only have the Remote a couple of days and I've got that "how did I ever live without this?" feeling. It's taking a bit of getting used to, but I can see its potential.
I've only scratched the surface of its power too. Lots of cool advanced features, which I will have to read up on.

The MPK is still a cool board, - well built and easy to get into (and I like the pads, even though I rarely use them), but now that I know what it's like to use Automap, I figure the Remote pretty much kills everything else for a software orientated project studio.