A few workflow tweaks for Live 8 (if not already done)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Khazul

A few workflow tweaks for Live 8 (if not already done)

Post by Khazul » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:28 am

These are just a few minor little changes I would like to see - all just little time savers really for bettter workflow and less distraction.

1. Be able to set a default track audio and instrument track level instead of the 0dB which (IMHO) promotes bad mixing habits - I'm allways pulling them down -12dB or so. be good if the default was fixed at something lower, or set in preferences (Ideally) so I didnt allways have to do this.

2. Be able to set the audio track default input to 'No Input' as a preference. 95% of my audio tracks dont need an input.

3. 'New group track' - same as new audio track, except sets input to none, level to a group track default and input mode to In.

4. When you save a track to the library and pull it back in again, it should try and reconect its outs to a track of the same name as was present when it was saved (if such a track exists). This applies to both audio, midi and instrument tracks. Is should also apply to hooking up external instrument and external fx devices. Currently its a bit pointless saving External instrument chains for synths as part of a track.

5. When chopping up audio in arrange view - please set default loop start and length to same as clip start and end (rather tham something apparently random), and perhaps even set the follow action length (but leave action as none?) to be whatever the clip length is set that when you copy it over to session view for creating DJ set from chopped audio - then you dont have to go and sort out loops lengths, follow lengths etc for each clip.

6. New from selected template - rather than just 1 default template, perhaps allow creation of a few of them that you can select the one you want. By all means keep the current behaviour as a default New.

All little things that would be nice time savers. OK - so I'm lazy and dont like any more clicks then are nescessary - does anyone?
Last edited by Khazul on Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nothing to see here - move along!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:36 am

I think item 6 on your list is part of Live 8... Multiple templates.
Not sure about the other 5, but I think not.

sporkles

Re: A few workflow tweaks for Live 8 (if not already done)

Post by sporkles » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:59 pm

Khazul wrote: 1. Be able to set a default track audio and instrument track level instead of the 0dB which (IMHO) promotes bad mixing habits - I'm allways pulling them down -12dB or so. be good if the default was fixed at something lower, or set in preferences (Ideally) so I didnt allways have to do this.
That's a big +1 from me. However I keep one default MIDI and one default
audio track in my library which I drag into the set rather than using ctrl+t or
ctrl+shift+t. These tracks are set to -8.16 dB (completely incidental figure, btw),
and each have a "track control" rack which includes an EQ eight, a limiter and a
utility. I wish, however, that you could also drag the tracks into the "defaults"
folder, and have them load instead of a blank 0dB track.

8O

Post by 8O » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:07 pm

These are all nice little tweaks, Khazul - hope they make the cut.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:17 pm

sporkles wrote:
Khazul wrote: 1. Be able to set a default track audio and instrument track level instead of the 0dB which (IMHO) promotes bad mixing habits - I'm allways pulling them down -12dB or so. be good if the default was fixed at something lower, or set in preferences (Ideally) so I didnt allways have to do this.
That's a big +1 from me. However I keep one default MIDI and one default
audio track in my library which I drag into the set rather than using ctrl+t or
ctrl+shift+t. These tracks are set to -8.16 dB (completely incidental figure, btw),
and each have a "track control" rack which includes an EQ eight, a limiter and a
utility. I wish, however, that you could also drag the tracks into the "defaults"
folder, and have them load instead of a blank 0dB track.
I would use the track library feature *alot* more if 4 was implemented ;)

bland_handl

Post by bland_handl » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:13 pm

+1 for point #5

here's a suggested "solution" (er, wish)

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:14 pm

for 1 & 2: not exactly what you're asking for, but now you can select all tracks and set them all to -12dB at once, and you can also do the same with the routing: select them all, set input to "none" on one of them, all will be set to the same value.

CHARLIE!

Post by CHARLIE! » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:17 pm

#5 is HUGE!

This pisses me off to no end. The only work around I found is to "consolidate" what I have in session view and then the new sample has the loop markers on the edges of the region I want.

This work around saved me hours setting up clips for a live show that I cut up from larger portions of audio.

Another nice feature would be to edit loop markers for multiple clips...

bland_handl

Post by bland_handl » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:43 pm

Hi Charlie, do you know you can right-click on the clip's end-marker, then select "loop current region" to make it loop correctly?

it means you have to split the section you want first, but it saves having to create new audio files as happens with consolidate.

The added benefit that all the regions you make can be saved to the browser as one track or one set, but references only one audio file.
Good results, but still a frustrating workflow no matter what method you use

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:03 pm

All good points, but yeah 5 is a huge one for me as well, especially now that I'm spending nearly all my time in arrange view.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:11 pm

peeddrroo wrote:for 1 & 2: not exactly what you're asking for, but now you can select all tracks and set them all to -12dB at once, and you can also do the same with the routing: select them all, set input to "none" on one of them, all will be set to the same value.
Im not talking about setting a load of them to the same value at some point later, Im talking about the extra unnessecary work when you initially create a track.

Non of these things are major - and to a single person working on their own with Live - probably no big deal to have to go through and extra half dozen to a dozen mouse clicks over creating a track. Dragging in from library is another good alternative.

I never really go into that because Live doesnt try to tie up the audio and midi destination with stuff in the current project that is of the same name as saved in the track - and worse - it forgets all external instrument and external fx settings which making tracks chains for hardware synth x, or multi-timeral plugin-x near useless, because you have to change everything back from its defaults - again.

In fact full and complete track restore from library would be the biggest gain for me. Its something I end up doing many times in an average day, and at weekends with a producer in and musicians in - then can end up doing it hundered of times in a session of a few hours.

The difference between 'lets try synths x...' drag track in - click click... (are we there yet?) click click... many many many clicks later - ''ok ready good to go, hangon - linked the midi to the wrong synth...' click click...!...

compare to just drag track in and good to go for some recording immediately and its already directed to the synths mix group track that I was using when I saved it.

This is the point of these little requests - nothing big, but I would guess on an average 8hr recording session this would save me about a good hour spread over the day - an hours worth of takes and editing and trying out wacky ideas rather than fiddling with a computer.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:16 pm

CHARLIE! wrote:#5 is HUGE!

This pisses me off to no end. The only work around I found is to "consolidate" what I have in session view and then the new sample has the loop markers on the edges of the region I want.

This work around saved me hours setting up clips for a live show that I cut up from larger portions of audio.

Incidently (and lets be honest, noone will ever do you for this :)) technically consolidating is probbaly a violation of your digital copying rights and performance rights license for a laptop DJ (as you are taking a sample from the original track and not leaving it intact) - simply allowing live to set up lots of clip references into the track is not howver a problem (This is under bizarre UK laws...). Also its easier to correct warping mistakes if you dont consolidate.

Some more useless information... :)

CHARLIE!

Post by CHARLIE! » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:19 pm

Khazul wrote:
CHARLIE! wrote:#5 is HUGE!

Incidently (and lets be hinest, noone will ever do you for this :)) technically consolidates is probbaly a violation of you digital copying rights and performance rights license for a laptop DJ - simply allowing live to set up lots of clip references into the track is not. (This is under bizarre UK laws...)

Some more useless information... :)
I dont use it to DJ I use it for my own productions... but good point

bland_handl wrote:Hi Charlie, do you know you can right-click on the clip's end-marker, then select "loop current region" to make it loop correctly?

it means you have to split the section you want first, but it saves having to create new audio files as happens with consolidate.

The added benefit that all the regions you make can be saved to the browser as one track or one set, but references only one audio file.
Good results, but still a frustrating workflow no matter what method you use
I have to check this out. Can you do it for multiple clips at the same time?

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:50 pm

In an analogue mixer there is attenuation in the mix bus otherwise it would overload too quickly. What I do i put a utility plug-in set to -6 in the master channel you can adjust this up down as needed. All audio faders analogue and digital have log curves and there is more resolution at the top so the best thing is to have your faders around 0db that way you can make finer level adjustments. Lastly in 8 you will be able to select mutiple channels and drag them down all at th same time should your output level get too hot.

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:37 am

Khazul wrote:These are just a few minor little changes I would like to see - all just little time savers really for bettter workflow and less distraction.

1. Be able to set a default track audio and instrument track level instead of the 0dB which (IMHO) promotes bad mixing habits - I'm allways pulling them down -12dB or so. be good if the default was fixed at something lower, or set in preferences (Ideally) so I didnt allways have to do this.
This is so important!! I can't believe we can't set a default limit.

It totally fucked me over recently that everything was set to 0DB and had to totally re-mix a project before it went for mastering....