ableton 8 freeeeeee realllly.....????????

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
itook4lefts

Post by itook4lefts » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:07 pm

every upgrade i can remember (live 4? live 5?) has had a grace period like this. they announce a new version, and when they do, people who buy after the announcement get the upgrade for free. people who bought before don't. it has always been this way. lots of companies do it - i know c74 did with max 5. i only bought max 4 about three months before the max 5 announcement, and i was a bit pissed at my timing, but i didn't blame c74 at all - i paid my money for a software product and that's what i got.

why should they give you a new product for free because you bought from them in the past? i don't expect the baker's to give me free bread today because i bought some from them yesterday, and i don't expect a car company to give me a free car this year because i bought one from them a few years ago.

like johnisfaster said, you paid for live 7 and that's what you got. how where you cheated? when live 8 comes out is it going to stop working? will it not do what you want anymore?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:11 pm

Holy crap? For me it's a $160 difference between the Suite download and the 7 to 8 download??? Looks like I'm getting into the suite soon. 8O That's less than $20 apiece for the suite goodies!

itook4lefts

Post by itook4lefts » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:26 pm

damn, yeah. 279 euro for the 7>8 plus suite, 149 for just 7>8. plus 30 euro voucher. not bad.

n0nce

Re: ableton 8 freeeeeee realllly.....????????

Post by n0nce » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:28 pm

michaellpenman wrote:Save big on Ableton Suite now, get Suite 8 for free.

Buy now to save up to EUR 100/USD 150 off the price of Ableton Suite and get a free downloadable upgrade to Suite 8 as soon as it's released.

ok so i have ableton 7 suite but i bought it when it came out..... so does this apply to me?????
i'm sure i'm not the only person trying to figure this out....

i so hope this is true cause i'm broke and do not want to sell my leg
I hope they charge you a stupidity fee just for having such horrible logic.

n0nce

Post by n0nce » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:28 pm

michaellpenman wrote:i have no idea... it should apply to anyone who has suite dont you think ???
And an extra fee for thinking this as well.

n0nce

Post by n0nce » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:34 pm

jsn wrote:
Angstrom wrote:
michaellpenman wrote:i have no idea... it should apply to anyone who has suite dont you think ???
no

its an incentive to prevent new customers from delaying their purchase for 3 months. You think Ableton wants 3 months without any sales?

no, so they offer this deal to all new purchasers from now until launch
Actually,..YES, it damn well should also apply to all of us who helped the company BEFORE when they needed sales (to fund the research and production of Live 8, mind you). this "promotion" that you are discussing here, if read correctly, is not fair to existing Suite license holders OR customers who hold Live 7 license and all Suite component licenses as well.

IF this was interpreted correctly, it is a sign of how severe companies are hurting for profit -- turning backs on their own existing customer base while dealing out fresh incentives to newcomers (this is not a new idea). It is an issue of morals when it comes down to it. It is no wonder the consumer waits until the last minute to purchase anything these days. The more desperate the economy the better the "deals". It seems the purchasing public has finally caught on, as well as the the non-purchasing (software-cracking) public (that ultimately prevails in the end by forcing the prices down and watching as the incentives pile up for everything they always wished for but too lazy to save for it).

I also interpreted this announcement this way when I read it this morning. I HOPE it is wrong or that there is MORE to it which can have positive effect on existing Suite license holders and those who have Live 7 + All Suite component licenses. I've written Ableton about this issue. I will post again when I have received more information.
I hope they simply deactivate your copy and ditch you as a customer because of what an idiot you are. It pains me to think people have brains as poorly functioning as yours.

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:00 pm

jsn wrote:
Actually,..YES, it damn well should also apply to all of us who helped the company BEFORE when they needed sales (to fund the research and production of Live 8, mind you). this "promotion" that you are discussing here, if read correctly, is not fair to existing Suite license holders OR customers who hold Live 7 license and all Suite component licenses as well.

IF this was interpreted correctly, it is a sign of how severe companies are hurting for profit -- turning backs on their own existing customer base while dealing out fresh incentives to newcomers (this is not a new idea). It is an issue of morals when it comes down to it. It is no wonder the consumer waits until the last minute to purchase anything these days. The more desperate the economy the better the "deals". It seems the purchasing public has finally caught on, as well as the the non-purchasing (software-cracking) public (that ultimately prevails in the end by forcing the prices down and watching as the incentives pile up for everything they always wished for but too lazy to save for it).

I also interpreted this announcement this way when I read it this morning. I HOPE it is wrong or that there is MORE to it which can have positive effect on existing Suite license holders and those who have Live 7 + All Suite component licenses. I've written Ableton about this issue. I will post again when I have received more information.

:roll:

have you ever heard of a "promotion" or perhaps a "sale"

companies have them.

if you buy something today and it costs less tomorrow, well.. you had it for a day.
happens all the time

your complaint has no base

NapalmBob

Post by NapalmBob » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:08 pm

So if I go from Live Lite to Live 7 (@ US$299, which includes Operator & Drum Machnies) I won't get the free upgrade, but I only pay $59? Thats a pretty sweet deal.

But you have to purchase the entire Live 7 Suite now to get the upgrade to Live 8 Suite for free? Does the Suite include Max For Live? If not I think I'll wait until release and just get Live 8 + MFL. Besides all the samples and those physical modelling instruments, what is so great about the Suite?

EDIT: at release I can go Live Lite to Live 8 for US$329. But I wont get Operator or Drum Machines.

Is the better deal to upgrade to Live 7 now for $299, get Operator and Drum Machines for free, then pay the extra $59 to get Live 8 at release?

Or am I as confused as everyone else with this crazy pricing?

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:55 pm

NapalmBob wrote:So if I go from Live Lite to Live 7 (@ US$299, which includes Operator & Drum Machnies) I won't get the free upgrade, but I only pay $59? Thats a pretty sweet deal.

But you have to purchase the entire Live 7 Suite now to get the upgrade to Live 8 Suite for free? Does the Suite include Max For Live? If not I think I'll wait until release and just get Live 8 + MFL. Besides all the samples and those physical modelling instruments, what is so great about the Suite?

EDIT: at release I can go Live Lite to Live 8 for US$329. But I wont get Operator or Drum Machines.

Is the better deal to upgrade to Live 7 now for $299, get Operator and Drum Machines for free, then pay the extra $59 to get Live 8 at release?

Why do I feel like I could get a much better deal if I was going from Lite or LE instead of FULL 6?

That doesn't seem fair. I'm more vested than those lite users ain't I?

Granted its a software company not a stock plan, but still...

STRATEGY

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:58 pm

STRATEGY_510 wrote:
NapalmBob wrote:So if I go from Live Lite to Live 7 (@ US$299, which includes Operator & Drum Machnies) I won't get the free upgrade, but I only pay $59? Thats a pretty sweet deal.

Why do I feel like I could get a much better deal if I was going from Lite or LE instead of FULL 6?

That doesn't seem fair. I'm more vested than those lite users ain't I?

Granted its a software company not a stock plan, but still...

STRATEGY

Anyone wanna sell a copy of Lite to me? Then I can sell my full 6 license and upgrade to full 7 from my lite.

Hell, unless my math is wrong here, I can trade my full 6 straight up for a copy of lite and will save money on the upgrade AND get free Drum Machine which i really want.

Does anyone thinK if we wait a couple of months there might be different (and maybe better) upgrade deals?

STRATEGY

dcease

Post by dcease » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:51 pm

do you want operator and drum machines? operator by it's self costs $159, d.m. $119., most of the instruments cost ~$159. if you wanted all the instruments except oic, suite is the way to go. if you want operator/d.m., "can't wait for 8" is a great deal, plus you get full 7 until 8 drops, i'm sure the limitations of lite are frustrating, they were for me. i would have loved to get 2 versions, operator & d.m. for $359, i paid $350 to upgrade from lite 4 to full 5, no operator...

+1 doc, i ain't mad about nothing, i think the price for upgrading to suite 8 box is great for me, with the coupon, it's like $60 more than the standard box upgrade, i get the new instrument(s), session drums & eic2 (not sure how great these are, sure i could find some use, tho ), some stickers, and a printed manual. not bad at all!

@mw, yeah, for the price of a 3rd party instrument you can get the whole suite, seems reasonable to me :) imo, tension is pretty nice, and electric is good for what it is. if you don't have operator and sampler yet, the deal is even better! i have mixed feelings about analog however, but that is just my opinion. the new instrument(s) look(s) cool. zoomable interface may make working with live's devices a bit easier, we'll see. i have always wanted the ability to make the devices larger, and detachable, maybe live 9!

n0nce

Post by n0nce » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:31 am

Bump.

I just want everyone to be aware of what stupid dick's jsn and michaellpenman are.

Go play with Reason, fools.

frou

Post by frou » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:44 am

No. Why would it? It's a promotion to stop people needlessly holding off on a purchase.

Blaydrnnnr

Post by Blaydrnnnr » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:45 am

yeah, I'm a dumbass I guess because I'm lost.... :(
I just upgraded from Live 7 Lite to Live 7 on the 13th, ($299 ) didnt get the free drums or Operator, and now I'm not really sure if its going to be better to upgrade to 7 suite? then to 8 suite? or just wait and upgrade to 8 suite? Guess its another email to customercare to see what exactly I'm entitled to... :cry:

Oscar F

Re: I hope it's Free

Post by Oscar F » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:04 am

Jeffdaddy wrote:I hope the upgrade is free. I just bought Live a month ago. If I have to pay to upgrade I will be pissed. I just moved to Live from Logic. Logic 5 that is. I purchased Logic 5 from GC in Hollywood for around $600 or $700. (which was a huge problem between my soon to be ex-wife and I) 3 months later they stopped supporting the PC version. I hadn't purchased any other software DAW because of feeling cheated, jipped, bamboozled after buying 5. I'm really trying to be supportive of the Software companies by always PURCHASING their products. I'd like to see them look out for me in return.

Your money would have been better spent upgrading to a Mac and Logic 8 Studio IMHO.

I skipped versions 6and 7 of Live and WILL NOT upgrade to V8.
Live 3 + upgrade to V4 and V5 was too much in Australian Dollars and as things stand Live 8 Suite will be atleast double what I got Logic Studio for.
Have however since got a 24" iMac and Logic Studio and wouldn't go back to Live myself for what little it's worth.
Somewhere between a rock and a hard place is actually nowhere.