The new warp engine....?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:55 pm

Coupe70 wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:i may be wrong, but i found i needed to warp things again . .
no....really ? no...
i hope this isn't true... 8O
I'm assuming that Mr. Jesus might be on the in house beta team...
If so, can you confirm this aspect for us?
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

bland_handl

Post by bland_handl » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:06 am

sweetjesus wrote:
i may be wrong, but i found i needed to warp things again . .
Thanks SJ, surely that'd be intended to be ironed-out by release-date tho (?)

What I really want to know is if the new transient detection results in any significant reduction in labour when warping:

- currently warping whole (fixed-tempo) tracks, would place 1.1.1 part-way into the first transient, requiring one adjustment... plus the slight miscalculation in that first transient means the Seg.Bpm is out by a percentage relative to the track's length - requiring further (and more labour-intensive) adjustment

- also, does the new system automatically correct timing errors in recordings of (my) clumsy live-playing?

does anyone know how much of this is likely with the new system?

(as a side note, if both problems above have been overcome, the ultimate would be that it's so precise it can iron-out any amount of groove or swing in audio files, so you could then apply the new groove functions in 8!)

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:48 am

bland_handl wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:
i may be wrong, but i found i needed to warp things again . .
Thanks SJ, surely that'd be intended to be ironed-out by release-date tho (?)
I haven't had any issues with it.
What I really want to know is if the new transient detection results in any significant reduction in labour when warping:

- currently warping whole (fixed-tempo) tracks, would place 1.1.1 part-way into the first transient, requiring one adjustment... plus the slight miscalculation in that first transient means the Seg.Bpm is out by a percentage relative to the track's length - requiring further (and more labour-intensive) adjustment
There's currently (subject to change) an automatically placed warp marker at the beginning of the file, make it the right spot (with snapping, easy) delete the automatic one (also easy) and you're done - and if you have problems with your track (for instance a bad conversion from vinyl with some wow in it) then you can always just hit "quantize" ;)
- also, does the new system automatically correct timing errors in recordings of (my) clumsy live-playing?
I believe it will, eventually - the groove pool can have a groove that just dictates "quantize everything 100%", and when (if) it's made an option to auto-set grooves to new audio clips, then "yes", it will be auto-corrected!
(as a side note, if both problems above have been overcome, the ultimate would be that it's so precise it can iron-out any amount of groove or swing in audio files, so you could then apply the new groove functions in 8!)
you don't currently have to "iron-out" the previous groove to use a different groove (different results may ensue), but this can be still be done WITHIN the groove template: "Quantize to (your preference of 8th note, 16th note, etc here) by x amount of percent BEFORE using this groove by y percent, then randomize by z percent and apply the groove velocity by w"

I hope this is a correct recollection of what will happen, as you can see you can do pretty much... anything with it :)

drakeyboy

Post by drakeyboy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:16 am

Robert Henke wrote:yes
is the old beat warping algorithm selectable as an option?

bland_handl

Post by bland_handl » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:37 am

Machinate wrote:"Quantize to (your preference of 8th note, 16th note, etc here) by x amount of percent BEFORE using this groove by y percent, then randomize by z percent and apply the groove velocity by w"
Incredible. Thank you so much for the info! This obviously goes waaay beyond being a simplified or more accurate process.

Accurate transients = easier warping
Accurate transients + new groove capabilities = me being currently lost for words

thanks again :D

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:39 am

Anyone here with experience of the new Elastic Pro algorithm?

I tend to avoid warping as much as possible partly because I like a more fluid feel but also because it always sounds wrong to my ears. Sometimes I use it as a special effect but in general I like to choose a tempo and then stick to that decision.

I'm hoping this new algorithm will sound more natural

I've also been waiting for Ableton to add a formant preserving pitch shift, maybe in Live 9...
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)