So what did the Abes totally forget to put in Live 8?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:36 pm

DJDJ wrote:I'm suprised nobody's mentioned either of my two wishes:

1. A convolution Reverb

2. Destructively rendering effects to an audio clip without having to bounce (offline processing)

for me, Live 8 = HUGE WIN. However, these 2 features, and maybe some sort of melodyne implementation, and I'll NEVER look back.
im pretty sure you can make a convolution reverb with max for live. that is, if you decide to buy it,

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:42 pm

oblique strategies wrote:
Tone Deft wrote: I can't believe how many posts have been made in just the first few hours where the answer is "max for Live." people don't fully get it yet. they will and minds will be blown.
There is the issue of cost involved here as well. Some of the features left out of Live 8 have been requested for years now. Waiting for years only to be told to buy an upgrade of Live AND another piece of expensive software is not an ideal solution.

Ultimately, I'm sure it will be very powerful, & I will take the plunge & never look back. However, I sincerely hope that the price will be sweet, rather than bitter-sweet. Know what I mean jelly-bean?
nope. you don't need to buy a thing to use max4Live devices, you only have to buy it to make them.

of course people want it at a good price, but what do you want? quality or low price? you can't get both, and you have to respect the fact that max/msp is an incredibly powerful set of tools and $500+ piece of software in its own right.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

doremifa

Post by doremifa » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:08 pm

that a good news that I don't need anything 'except' Live8 to ues Max4Live patches

bad news:

- no bezie curves, very poor automation that feels like a pain in the ass
- no dual monitor support :(
- no 64 bit, that means that we are limited to 1.8 gigabytes in Vista64 and 2.8 in XP with 3G in boot.ini - will be hard to manage some big modern lybraries of anything. 3 gb in Leopard though.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:29 pm

Read this thread --> http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?t=104732 - particularly the posts by jeremyjb

The conclusion seems to be that you DO need to buy MFL to use the devices.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:34 pm

crumhorn wrote:Read this thread --> http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?t=104732 - particularly the posts by jeremyjb

The conclusion seems to be that you DO need to buy MFL to use the devices.
nice post, thanks.

"Users cannot use Max Devices without installing Max, obviously. Once Max is installed, they can use them, but they have to put Live into demo mode, if they don't own Max for Live. "

"purchasing Max for Live essentially enables the Edit Button on the Max Device. If you don't own the full version of Max, the only Max editing you'll do is in the context of Live."

so, maybe a runtime version might come out. (as it is now anyone can run max programs, they just need the free runtime which doesn't let you edit max programs.)
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:42 pm

DJDJ wrote: 2. Destructively rendering effects to an audio clip without having to bounce (offline processing)
I think 'freeze'>'flatten' is a nice way to do this..

Stan_T

Post by Stan_T » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:04 pm

I'm thinking we should probably wait to see what's included before assuming it isn't.

Having said that... :D

I just know they haven't added CC4 implementation for proper HiHats in DrumRack.

notecrusher

Post by notecrusher » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:37 pm

crumhorn wrote:My most wanted missing feature is a back to arrangement button on each track.
100% agreed. So that didn't make it into L8? :cry:

jamief

Group tracks in live 8

Post by jamief » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:49 pm

Will there be any group tracks implemented in live 8 ?

hoffman2k

Re: Group tracks in live 8

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:55 pm

jamief wrote:Will there be any group tracks implemented in live 8 ?
yes

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:55 pm

yep..

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:57 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
yes
0:55 am: we're synced!
Poster wrote:
yep..

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:23 am

The real question for me is will the features I build in Max alter Live's GUI so that I can SEE what I build in the main Session View mixer at a glance? Just like all Live's mixer functions (level, pan, Aux Sends, etc.) currently are always visible.

This is very different than having something only visible when I select that individual channel (like a Rack or effects in a channel), these things disappear whenever I select a different channel.

So this is huge: if Live adds a feature it will be added as part of their GUI. Will we be given the same ability?

This is why it may be more powerful for Ableton to build some features than for us to build them. Unless the features we build are part of the GUI they remain, to a degree, work-arounds.

EXAMPLE: I want to build in surround mixing support for a quad speaker system. One method is to use 4 surround panners per channel so that each channel can be panned to any combination of speakers in varying amounts (I am currently using Live's Aux Sends to pan to individual busses that go to the speakers).

What I require is to be able to see at a glance where EVERY channel is panned in relation to the 4 speakers.

This is also very helpful when these controls are mapped to my MIDI controllers which are 2 Drehbanks = 128 knobs which exactly mirror Live's mixer GUI. SO I can see exactly where every channel is panned by either looking at the midi controller knobs, or th eLive mixer GUI.

So I have to ask whether my Max built panners will be visible at a glance like the Aux Sends are in the mixer, or buried in a rack inside each channel?

Gurulogic wrote: So from my point of view, yes I am excited about even all the new features that don't even apply to how I work but at the same time I am quite disappointed because it looks like I have to continue using elaborate workarounds to get things done in a way I am satisfied with.
I'm in the same boat. Plus, the things I am excited about are not what Live is focussing on: I am less interested in Live's DAW features (nice as they are), & more interested in Live's 'performance' features.

It's OK in the long run- most people are producing & not performing, so the Abes know which side their bread is buttered on. One side feeds the other. :wink:
Last edited by oblique strategies on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

DubLifeSD

Post by DubLifeSD » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:44 am

Were there any updates to Sampler?....It definitely needs some work..

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:47 am

DubLifeSD wrote:Were there any updates to Sampler?....It definitely needs some work..
Nope, though you can draw waveforms in Operator and drag them to Simpler or Sampler. Thats pretty damn cool.