who of you MPD 24 users got the transport control working?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Defiant Kinetics

Post by Defiant Kinetics » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:07 pm

dcease wrote:go to www.akaipro.com . get to download page. download firmware 1.09, and Vyzex software. install Vyzex software. delete current firmware on mpd by unplugging, and pressing <</stop/rec at the same time while replugging. open vyzex, under midi, select transmit midix(.syx) file. navigate to the firmware you downloaded. select. the mpd24 will receive, when it is done, before you do anything else, close down vyzex software. press enter on mpd24, and viola! firmware updated. press edit, and a transport button. press enter, then turn knob to change from mmc to control. press enter. leave edit mode, open live, make sure that mpd24 is on/on/on in midi pref. go to midi map, and assign the transport to live's transport. save to default. you'll have to do this every time you open an old project, or something new diff. from the default, but once the old project is saved, it'll open with the transport mapped.

on live7.0.3, osx 10.5.1

hth
Cheers man, that worked first time with me using the same setup.

swett

Post by swett » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:53 am

i'm not really freaking out about this because i can work around it, BUT, i haven't been able to make my 24 work properly with live.
the drum rack pads get triggered correctly, but the macro controls are not automatically assigned. Neither are the faders to channels 1-6 as it was advertised.
And i also read somewhere that if you dragged the focus of the drum rack, the controller would follow....well, not in my case.

and since neither of those functions are working for me, i haven't even bothered with the mmc's....

help?

dcease

Post by dcease » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:18 am

swett wrote:i'm not really freaking out about this because i can work around it, BUT, i haven't been able to make my 24 work properly with live.
the drum rack pads get triggered correctly, but the macro controls are not automatically assigned. Neither are the faders to channels 1-6 as it was advertised.
And i also read somewhere that if you dragged the focus of the drum rack, the controller would follow....well, not in my case.

and since neither of those functions are working for me, i haven't even bothered with the mmc's....

help?
are you on 7.0.3? if no, then no automap for you. if yes, do you have it selected as a control surface in prefs? and remote turned on, for the mpd? if so, i dunno...

swett

Post by swett » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:12 pm

dcease wrote:
swett wrote:i'm not really freaking out about this because i can work around it, BUT, i haven't been able to make my 24 work properly with live.

help?
are you on 7.0.3? if no, then no automap for you. if yes, do you have it selected as a control surface in prefs? and remote turned on, for the mpd? if so, i dunno...

yep, 7.0.3, and yes...

benmiron

Post by benmiron » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:33 pm

dcease wrote:go to www.akaipro.com . get to download page. download firmware 1.09, and Vyzex software. install Vyzex software. delete current firmware on mpd by unplugging, and pressing <</stop/rec at the same time while replugging. open vyzex, under midi, select transmit midix(.syx) file. navigate to the firmware you downloaded. select. the mpd24 will receive, when it is done, before you do anything else, close down vyzex software. press enter on mpd24, and viola! firmware updated. press edit, and a transport button. press enter, then turn knob to change from mmc to control. press enter. leave edit mode, open live, make sure that mpd24 is on/on/on in midi pref. go to midi map, and assign the transport to live's transport. save to default. you'll have to do this every time you open an old project, or something new diff. from the default, but once the old project is saved, it'll open with the transport mapped.

on live7.0.3, osx 10.5.1

hth
what does apply the transport to live's transport mean?

I upgraded correctly but all the steps after the firmware upgrade confuse me can someone spell them out in a more idiot proof way?

Dologo

Post by Dologo » Mon May 26, 2008 6:58 am

I tried this step by step with the MPD32 and nothing.

It just says Upgrade/Receiving but nothing happens.I returning this mpd,fuck it.

GUY SMILEY

Post by GUY SMILEY » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:17 pm

on live7.0.3, osx 10.5.1

hth
thanks for that works fine.. after a couple of tries

modular1

Post by modular1 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:00 pm

i just bought an mpd24 today and i discovered all the MMC transport problems myself.

after looking at his thread i now see that the mpd os is now 1.10.

anyone tried installing this? im on osx 10.5.5 and am a bit worried about trying it. am i best to not use the vysex software that came on the disc?

AI_Joe

Post by AI_Joe » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:52 pm

modular1 wrote:i just bought an mpd24 today and i discovered all the MMC transport problems myself.

after looking at his thread i now see that the mpd os is now 1.10.

anyone tried installing this? im on osx 10.5.5 and am a bit worried about trying it. am i best to not use the vysex software that came on the disc?
I installed it two days ago. Don't use the vysex software to install 1.10. I'm on a mac and used SysExLibrarian (free) after spending 3 hours trying to use the convoluted directions of vysex and akai. I'm sure there are similar apps for the PC.

Unplug the MPD24. Hold down the Left, Stop, and Rec transport controls while plugging it back in. This will erase the system (not a big deal, don't freak) - follow the directions on the LCD screen until you get to "00 Receiving". Then launch the syx uploader app (not vysex) of your choice and send up the 1.10 update. My update took about 3 minutes to do.

You can check the firmware update by selecting "Global" then left arrow to page 8. It should now read Ver 1.10.

To make the transport controls CC - Push one of the transport buttons. Press "Edit". It will read "Transport" - press Enter. Use the main knob to select CTRL. *IMPORTANT* you must save this config to the preset for it to remember this. Assuming you are using the "Live" preset, just press "Preset" then right arrow. It will say "Save to OS". Press Enter.

Now you can assign the MIDI transport controls to Live. I have not figured out how to make Live remember this. Any help there would be hot. Thanks.
Last edited by AI_Joe on Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ReverendZed

Post by ReverendZed » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:03 pm

Dologo wrote:I tried this step by step with the MPD32 and nothing.

It just says Upgrade/Receiving but nothing happens.I returning this mpd,fuck it.
Use a different SysEx Editor.

I recounted my own tragic saga here... http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... c&start=15

Also, pudding.
Don't tell me how to internet...

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:21 pm

After 20 minutes of swearing at the computer, it works! Nice.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

ReverendZed

Post by ReverendZed » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:40 pm

WHAT ABOUT THE F*$#ING PUDDING???

I hate you people.

>.<
Don't tell me how to internet...

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:01 pm

logic_user99 wrote:After 20 minutes of swearing at the computer, it works! Nice.
lol.. if that doesn't work i usually threaten my computers with a linux death disk

i managed to update my mpd24 on osx10.5.6 to ver1.10 with out issue.

but i've been issues with my midi ports on both mpd24 and mpd32

i don't advice updating to osx 10.5.6 if you need the extra midi ports offered by the MPD's

samtastic

Re: who of you MPD 24 users got the transport control working?

Post by samtastic » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:11 am

digging up an old thread, rather than start a new one.

just borrowed an MPD24 off a mate. Time moves on, and now all the transport controls are working fine (as midi controllers rather than MMC) with Live (using Live 8.1.5, firmware 1.09 on MPD).

However, I want to re-map the transport control so that it overdubs instead. The only catch is that transport controls don't appear to be note on/note off controllers. I can only get the overdub button to turn on, not turn off. Would there be an easy way to change this? I may explore Bome's...

surely others want this set up also?

cheers