Simpler Samples.....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
David

Simpler Samples.....

Post by David » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:08 am

Dear Fellow Live Users,

These last few days I have been messing around and making my own sine,square,saw,triangle,noise, and other weird waveforms.

I would like to share these with you all.

Its amazing to myself how far you can go with just these basic ingredients coupled with Simpler. Just loading in a tiny waveform (some only 100 samples in length or 0.0018 seconds), hitting Loop, changing the A D S R settings and fine tuning the frequency and resonance, can result in some really nice sounds (at least to my ears).

So, if you fancy you can download them from my site http://www.david-e.de . Look for the Live 4 Simpler Samples in the Downloads section.

BTW, some of these little samples may be tiny, but dont be fooled, some of them are also quite loud, so make sure the speakers are down a wee bit before triggering them, just in case.

Well, hope you enjoy them.

david

j

Post by j » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:41 am

THANKS!!!

David

Post by David » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:06 pm

j wrote:THANKS!!!
Your Welcome. Hope you enjoyed them :wink:

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:48 pm

Thanks a lot for those, out of interest, how did you go about making them?
I've had limited success using Soundforge's synthesis section but am always unsure of how long to make the waveforms and at what pitch. I kind of understand that length is somehow linked to pitch but not sure of exactly how to do the maths. Also, I'm not sure how to go about creating richer harmonic content within the waveform, generating simple saws squares and sines is all very well but I'd like to make something a bit more sonically interesting.

Thanx again, they're very useful waveforms.

David

Post by David » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:25 pm

Hi Martyn,

Have you tried adding different sinewaves together? I generally generate sinewaves of differing frequencies and add them together to create more interesting waveforms. Maybe even add a little noise or a saw or square, whatever takes your fancy. Just generate some and add them together to get better (or worse) ones.

BTW, if you would like some more details feel free to drop me a pm, or send me a mail via my website.

Cheers,

David

TrackTeam Audio

Post by TrackTeam Audio » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:11 pm

These are great! Thanks for sharing.

-tjwett
TrackTeam Audio

David

Post by David » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:32 pm

TrackTeam Audio wrote:These are great! Thanks for sharing.

-tjwett
TrackTeam Audio
Thanks! I downloaded yours also. Great presets!

--David

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:01 pm

David wrote:Hi Martyn,

Have you tried adding different sinewaves together? I generally generate sinewaves of differing frequencies and add them together to create more interesting waveforms. Maybe even add a little noise or a saw or square, whatever takes your fancy. Just generate some and add them together to get better (or worse) ones.

BTW, if you would like some more details feel free to drop me a pm, or send me a mail via my website.

Cheers,

David
No I've not tried that yet, I had a go with Soundforge's FM synthesis generator and created some pretty usable stuff, some of it pretty close to what you'd call noise though.

I was wondering if there was a dedicated app that worked in a similar way to Z3ta's additive oscillator generator, where you start with a waveform then add harmonics to it using sliders to modify the original source. I believe Absynth and Albino use the same sort of technique.

I can't help wishing that Simpler had a separate adsr for the filter though, having to use the same envelope for amplitude and filter seems a bit self defeating to me, and kind of restricts what you can do to a large extent. I hope Ableton expand on this idea, maybe to create a more advanced sampler or something.

David

Post by David » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:53 am

Martyn wrote:
David wrote:Hi Martyn,

Cheers,

David
No I've not tried that yet, I had a go with Soundforge's FM synthesis generator and created some pretty usable stuff, some of it pretty close to what you'd call noise though.

I was wondering if there was a dedicated app that worked in a similar way to Z3ta's additive oscillator generator, where you start with a waveform then add harmonics to it using sliders to modify the original source. I believe Absynth and Albino use the same sort of technique.

I can't help wishing that Simpler had a separate adsr for the filter though, having to use the same envelope for amplitude and filter seems a bit self defeating to me, and kind of restricts what you can do to a large extent. I hope Ableton expand on this idea, maybe to create a more advanced sampler or something.
Hi Martyn,

I'm not familar with the Z3ta, however, it sounds interesting and I will probably check it out now. I generate my waveforms using bare bones code i.e.

A = 1;
t = [0 : 1/44100 : 0.1];
f = 100;
sine = A*sin(2*pi*f*t);

And then I take things from there, adding sines together, adding noise (rand()) and then making into a wav. Its a bit more codey / nerdy but it gets closer to the roots of the sound, in fact, it is the root of the sound plain and simple. I never realised how much you could get out of just saw, square and sine, but I think it has a lot to do with the Simpler Device which allows you to get soo much out of so little. BTW, yes, it would be nice if there was even more control over the filters ADSR. I would actually like to see a LFO (or random) which can be used to control 'any' parameter within 'any' effect or instrument within Live, thus opening up a continous forever changing/oscillating scenario of texture and sound.

peterkirn

Generator in Live?

Post by peterkirn » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:51 am

This is I guess a great argument for NOT including any 'Ableton' oscillators in Live -- you can easily use other apps, and I've used everything from Absynth to Crystal to Reason to Max/MSP -- but, ooh, a couple of simple ones would be fun. :wink:

Modular Synthesis with Live, anyone? (I've warped audio into simple waveforms by letting it distort into square-like waves, so perhaps that way?)

Very interesting to hear how people are using the app!