DSI Mo-pho....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
m:o

Post by m:o » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:48 am

Ah, i would prefer a MicroModular anytime over a MoPho as "versatile little synthbox".........0.2$

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:13 am

m:o wrote:Ah, i would prefer a MicroModular anytime over a MoPho as "versatile little synthbox".........0.2$
thats comparing apples and fridges. I dont think its supposed to be a versatile synth, its supposed to be an affordable analog monosynth. i would love a moog for bass, but cant afford one, so this thing is right up my street. i think theyre going to sell squillions of these. (if it sounds nice of course)

many soft synths can do what a micromodular does. what they cant do is be an analog monosynth.
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

m:o

Post by m:o » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:35 am

mmh, yes you're right about the comparision. guess it's a little early in the morning here

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:39 am

m:o wrote:0.2$
Eh, the bad economy really has struck the internet..

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:29 pm

wantonewantonewantonewantonewantonewantonewantonewantonewantonewantonewantonewantonewantonewantonewantonewantone....!

I don't think it'll be doing the 'soundscapey' stuff that the eVolver desktop can do (obviously) but it looks bloody nice. And for £250... that's a frickin' bargain!
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:23 pm

Mine comes Friday.

Will let you know how hard it makes me. 8)
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

amcnally336

Post by amcnally336 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:56 pm

Personally, I feel that everyone's money would be much better spent on a used Evolver. It would come out costing about the same, but the Evolver is, IMO, WAY cooler. It uses the same analog oscillators and analog filters as the Prophet and Mo Pho, but adds 2 digital oscillators with user defined waveforms, 2 digital hipass filters, ring mod and fm, 4 lfos, 4 envelopes, 4 modulation slots plus fairly decent digital effects like delay and distortion. The ONLY advantage? of the MO PHO is that it is a purely analog signal. The Evolver DOES convert the analog signal to digital (24/96) to process the effects, but outputs an analog signal. I am VERY into the analog vibe, and this conversion does not really bug me. The Evolver is, quite honestly, just the best bang for the buck out there...I really believe EVERYONE should get one as you can pick them up cheap (300-350$) used. PLUS, you can process external audio through it to feed a drum loop/machine, guitar, bass through the Evolver's filters and envelopes...AMAZING!! There is a great guide to the Evolver here, http://www.carbon111.com/evolverguide.pdf which is one of the best synthesizer tutorials out there. This release(MO PHO) just seems like DSI's poor excuse to come up with a product for NAMM, since it is obvious that the Linndrum 2 is not going to happen by then. I am definitely a DSI fanboy, but this release is just underwhelming to me. I LOVE my Evolver...GET ONE NOW!! :)

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:06 pm

Wow, first time I've felt true gear lust in a while. Gotta save tho :(
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:30 pm

amcnally336 wrote:Personally, I feel that everyone's money would be much better spent on a used Evolver. It would come out costing about the same, but the Evolver is, IMO, WAY cooler. It uses the same analog oscillators and analog filters as the Prophet and Mo Pho, but adds 2 digital oscillators with user defined waveforms, 2 digital hipass filters, ring mod and fm, 4 lfos, 4 envelopes, 4 modulation slots plus fairly decent digital effects like delay and distortion. The ONLY advantage? of the MO PHO is that it is a purely analog signal. The Evolver DOES convert the analog signal to digital (24/96) to process the effects, but outputs an analog signal. I am VERY into the analog vibe, and this conversion does not really bug me. The Evolver is, quite honestly, just the best bang for the buck out there...I really believe EVERYONE should get one as you can pick them up cheap (300-350$) used. PLUS, you can process external audio through it to feed a drum loop/machine, guitar, bass through the Evolver's filters and envelopes...AMAZING!! There is a great guide to the Evolver here, http://www.carbon111.com/evolverguide.pdf which is one of the best synthesizer tutorials out there. This release(MO PHO) just seems like DSI's poor excuse to come up with a product for NAMM, since it is obvious that the Linndrum 2 is not going to happen by then. I am definitely a DSI fanboy, but this release is just underwhelming to me. I LOVE my Evolver...GET ONE NOW!! :)
The tiny footprint of the mopho in addition to it's sonic quality is what sold me.
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:37 pm

After seeing the vids & hearing the sounds, I now HAVE to have one as opposed to just wanting one! Although, there's no evidence of some nice long, drawn-out synth mono-pad sounds...

Could be an eVolver yet. BUT IT'S SO PRETTY! :oops:
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:32 pm

awesomeness. this is honestly all i want out of a synth most times (great sound, simplicity).

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:27 pm

Some hands-on with Mopho at the AI blog:

http://www.analogindustries.com/
Image Image