A friendly reminder....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:33 pm

Moody wrote: Nebulae has a troll script that may help.
werd...Angstrom cooked up a great script that lets you ignore whomever you want...

http://www.nebulae.com/live/trollkiller.html

I don't use it anymore, mainly because what anyone actually says around here is only as cool/important/infuriating/funny/stupid/[insert emotion] as you let it be.
Last edited by nebulae on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:34 pm

Let's be honest here - the openness, humour, and generally good natured state of the forum is what attracts so many people here in the first place, but as with everything else in life, it will also attract one or two that the majority would rather not be here - the best we can all do is try to discourage it. It happens in all walks of life, it's not something unique to this place.

As for the OT topics (politics, etc.), they generally reflect the current state of affairs - if all that was to be banned or moved somewhere else this forum would turn into a ghost town mainly because no-one thinks about making music 24 hours a day.
..?

forge

Post by forge » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:36 pm

ethios4 wrote:When this forum becomes too much, I simply stop visiting for awhile.
I use the 'view posts since last visit' and just click on the ones that interest me, so an OT forum would be meaningless.

if a frustrated teenager or emotionally/socially stunted person derails the thread then I click 'stop watching this topic'

if there is a really distasteful attention seeker specifically posting ugly stuff that probably violates German law then I email someone at Ableton to make sure they know.

thankfully Ableton are very busy working on the program, so they often miss them, but if they know about it and it really is inappropriate they will act

other than that we are treated like adults

I don't want an OT forum because the fact it is all in one place creates the community, and most people respect each other, there are only really a couple of fuckwits, and some of them are even only occasional fuckwits

on the whole the self moderation works

unfortunately there is no way to guarantee the physical or emotional age of a user so we have to deal with immature or stunted people sometimes, but the way to deal with them is really to not respond, they soon get bored
Last edited by forge on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deva

Post by deva » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:37 pm

UKRuss wrote: Stasi is an extreme example of control but not all policing has to be extreme.
It often ends up that way though. I'm glad ableton is cautious about it.

deva

Post by deva » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:43 pm

Amaury wrote:
Poster wrote:
b0unce wrote: Well seeing as you want rid of the USpolitical threads also you are entitled to disagree.

This thread is about problems with the forum, meef expressed relief that it might mean the end of the USpoliitical threads, I posted pics of injured Iraqi's to drive the point home.
I knew what point you were making with those images..
its just that I found them disgusting..

anyway, on topic..
yes I would really like to see the OT/US politics threads to go into a separate forum so I have the choice to not seeing them..
The topic comes often. Now, if you look at the front page of the General forum, there are about 50 topics. 4 of them don't talk about music, dancing, Live or other creative softwares. 1 of them is forum user against forum user ego trip, and this one. Other sections of the forum talk about Live and music exclusively. Is that this bad?

Regards,
Amaury

I think the mix is fine... I have no trouble to NOT click on a topic that I am not interested in. I do post in the OT political threads, though have never started one.

Primarily, I come to the forum because I use Live software and the forum has been very useful. Some OT threads do not hinder the usefulness of the site IMO.

I like Ableton's approach.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:47 pm

I realize this has degenerated into our bi-monthly moderation vs. non-moderation debate...stay tuned for the mac vs. pc debate in a few hours, soon to be followed up by a vigorous debate over Live's mix engine vs. Logic...

but if we can go back to the OP (the hack that he is) and his request for civility, we might continue a fruitful discussion...

just a thought...whenever I asked people to be nice in the past, I just got shit on, so I don't have very high standards of you lot...

*hugs*

Noel

Post by Noel » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:49 pm

nebulae wrote:
Moody wrote: Nebulae has a troll script that may help.
werd...Angstrom cooked up a great script that lets you ignore whomever you want...

http://www.nebulae.com/live/trollkiller.html

I don't use it anymore, mainly because what anyone actually says around here is only as cool/important/infuriating/funny/stupid/[insert emotion] as you let it be.
Thanks for that, I will probably give it a go. (where would we be without people like Angstrom on this forum)

But I would still like to see a system for user moderation of individual posts because
forge wrote: ...some of them are even only occasional fuckwits...
And I think a karma based system would do wonders for the quality of the posts on the forum.
Noel has left the building!

deva

Post by deva » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:53 pm

8O wrote:
kuniklo wrote:Community policing doesn't work because the community has no real power to stop the people that get off on insulting people and derailing threads. Like it or not, someone at Ableton is going to have to step in and ban the small handful of people that bring this forum down for everyone else or it's going to continue to be a useless cesspool.
Exactly. That's the real crux of the issue here. The majority of users naturally follow the code of conduct without even having to read it, but the majority has zero leverage against the significant minority who just can't behave in a civilised, respectful manner.

It's a real shame for the forum and for the ideal that no control is needed. We don't need a STASI, but a slightly stronger hand: without it, the majority has no teeth, and the minority can continue to bully and drag this forum down without fear of any action.

There are plenty of music threads which are useful and do not turn into arguments/name calling etc.

If you do not want to read the OT stuff, don't click on it. It is very simple. If you click on it, and get annoyed, there is no blame to assign but your own inability to control yourself. Nobody has a gun to your head making you read something you do not wish to.

It is my wish that Ableton does not change the forum.

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:53 pm

This thread makes me sad :cry:

Robert made a very good point to begin with and the reason I come here is to:

1. seek help when I need it from more experienced users
2. give help when I can to less experienced users
3. a bit of music/ableton related entertainment

I wish that this forum was more about this and less about peoples egos.

If you want to flame and troll to amuse yourselves, try squatjuice.com!!!!
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

acroberts

Post by acroberts » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:55 pm

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:55 pm

ollyb303 wrote:the reason I come here is to:

1. seek help when I need it from more experienced users
2. give help when I can to less experienced users
3. a bit of music/ableton related entertainment
You forgot 4. Fun Fun Friday.

Unbelievable!! Ingrate!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:05 pm

acroberts wrote:Image
pwned

acroberts

Post by acroberts » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:07 pm

nebulae wrote:
pwned
Thanks Neb, it's an honor.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:08 pm

acroberts wrote:
nebulae wrote:
pwned
Thanks Neb, it's an honor.
www.imageshack.us

*hugs*
Last edited by nebulae on Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

forge

Post by forge » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:12 pm

Noel wrote: And I think a karma based system would do wonders for the quality of the posts on the forum.
honestly, I don't think it would make the slightest difference to the people it was implemented for

the people who would respect that would not be the ones that would be the problem