[ot] Beatport territory restrictions...?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
8O

[ot] Beatport territory restrictions...?

Post by 8O » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:42 pm

I wanted to buy 3-4 tracks off Beatport tonight and a pop-up tells me that I can't give them my money due to territory restrictions. So I went to 7digital and bought them there with zero hassles - no stuff about territory restrictions. What's all that about then?

c1c2

Post by c1c2 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:59 pm

If you ask me: Strange people make strange restrictions..
I99900K WIn10
Win11 and Tuxedo Gemini 2
RME Babyface & UFX I
..some additional Synth hardware :)

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:18 pm

I've complained a lot about this with beatport and itunes. It makes absolutely no sense in a global economy with people willing to pay and a method to do so.

So I just pirate those tracks.

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:23 pm

Arghh Matey!!!

:arrow:

Yeah, sometimes you gotta sport the eye patch and peg leg...

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:50 pm

Yeah, 3 tracks were on the same label - XL. They have a help page explaining why follow this restriction, but doesn't explain why other stores have no (or at least less) restrictions... Their loss is another store's gain... Strange...

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:12 pm

The Field, Modeselektor and Fourtet remixes of Thom Yorke singles. Nothing really niche - you'd think that plenty of people would want to get them - especially as they're great :) .

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:57 pm

It means a label only has the rights to sell it in a certian territory.

One example of why would be if say two labels had the rights to a track, but one only in North America and one only in Europe. Therefore you can not buy it out of territory becasue you would be paying the other guy instead of those who had the rights to it in your territory.

If you bought it on a different site, but it was on the same label, chances are that that site fucked up and didnt apply the restriction correctly. They could probably get in trouble for that. Beatport is obviously more on top of this becasue they are a bigger entity compared to others.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:51 pm

Utah Saints. Had a hit or 2 in the 90's. Recently had a remix made of one of their hits. You can buy that and the original in the UK itunes store. Not in the US store.

Pirate. Pirate!! PIRATE!!!

Utah is even in the US. WTF?!?

briandervish

Post by briandervish » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:47 pm

I don't know about two different labels having rights to two different territories, this may well be true. However, I fill out a form every time I send tracks to Beatport, and there is a "Territory" area to allow the label to set the restriction. It is definitely not Beatport's choice to restrict the sales. I just had to chime in, because I saw a thread like this on another forum which devolved into a "I hate Beatport" thread, and I actually like Beatport.

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:53 pm

Beatport is the shit... The best customer service, tons of tunes... What do you want? Law breaking too?

No, but I would like to take Beatport Dianne out on the town one night!!!

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:21 am

Right, and it's not Apple's fault about the DRM bullshit. It's the music industry. The fact is I don't care who or what makes these decisions when I'm sitting there with my credit card ready to kick down some corn. It makes absolutely no sense. None.

And what's with labels trying to play hardball to get a few more cents out of the download. It's all ones and zeros sitting in cyberspace. It's not like they have a huge warehouse crammed with boxes of merchandise they have to unload and recoup the cost. They aren't exactly making a windfall profit not allowing people to buy the music. By the time they possibly make a deal a bunch of people have already pirated it and moved on to something else.

And worst of all, why even letting me stream the song at all if I can't even purchase it, beatport.

Damon_Chambers

Post by Damon_Chambers » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:14 am

^exactly. all you have to do if you REALLY want to purchase is use a proxy server. problem solved.

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:17 am

Donnie wrote:If you bought it on a different site, but it was on the same label, chances are that that site fucked up and didnt apply the restriction correctly. They could probably get in trouble for that. Beatport is obviously more on top of this becasue they are a bigger entity compared to others.
I dunno, I'm pretty sure 7digital, where I got the tracks from in the end, are kosher.

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:39 am

some label are selling rights for some territories, ore just think that a territory is better covered by a shop instead of another, or they get better exposition from a shop if they give one track exclusive for one territory, or as someone say, they make stupid decision,

i guess sometimes it's still something belonging to physical distribution, something like : ok we'll distribute your 12" in USA, but we wants the exclusive rights for the digital too, than the company goes back to all the shops that they work with and "forget" to tell 7digital that they can't sell it the USA and so on

business is shit! but we need it